The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Facticity

I seem to be a bit late however I hope you found everyone here to be helpful so far. You can always drop in for a chat or prayer request. :h:

Oh, I'm always in here for a chat...since I found the thread last week at least :smile: (Also everyone here is always helpful. We're Christians! :tongue: )

Original post by I_like_yumyums
Thank you guys for all your lovely welcomes :smile:
I am honestly very glad to have found this! I always get excited when I see large groups of christians who don't necessarily know each other bonding together :smile: It's truly beautiful!

So are the majority of the group here at uni/off to uni? If so are you looking forward to finding new churches etc?!

Plus - randomly - anyone here go to New Wine?

(and yes yumyums are utterly delicious :') )

As my sig indicates, I'm in my third year now. If you go back a few pages you'll find my testimony as well.
I am honestly very glad to have found this! I always get excited when I see large groups of christians who don't necessarily know each other bonding together :smile: It's truly beautiful!

So are the majority of the group here at uni/off to uni? If so are you looking forward to finding new churches etc?!

I'm a postgrad and live at home. On the rare occasions I make it to church (my mental health has given me a phobia of religious buildings :frown: ), it's my home parish :smile:
Original post by adamrules247
You never replied to my post about purgatory :cry:

I didn't think you wanted a reply as I asked more just to get some food for thought but, I can certainly give you a reply if you can wait a bit longer. :smile:
I didn't think you wanted a reply as I asked more just to get some food for thought but, I can certainly give you a reply if you can wait a bit longer. :smile:

Nah, it's okay. Just wasn't sure if you'd missed the post. Sorry I couldn't give you a more induvidual answer though.
Reply 6564

I know a few people who helped out on New Wine. I went to Momentum this year for the first time having now grown out of Soul Survivor (I've been to SS 4 times).
Original post by mevidek
Hey, welcome to the group!

I'm not, I'm in year 11 this year... So yeah I'm younger than most people on here.

Yes, yumyums are very nice :wink:

Haha thanks :smile:

Ah that's cool :smile: it's nice to have loads of different age's point of views!

And yes, yes there are :biggrin:
Original post by skotch
I know a few people who helped out on New Wine. I went to Momentum this year for the first time having now grown out of Soul Survivor (I've been to SS 4 times).

That's cool - I helped out at New Wine this year for the second time. I love it so much, defiantly one of the best decisions I ever made!
What's momentum like in comparison to Souly? I've only been once but have quite a few friends who now go to momentum instead!

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm a postgrad and live at home. On the rare occasions I make it to church (my mental health has given me a phobia of religious buildings :frown: ), it's my home parish :smile:

Ah what degree did you take? You don't need to go to church to be with God :smile: In fact sometimes I find it easier to feel closer to him when I'm outside!
Reply 6567
That's cool - I helped out at New Wine this year for the second time. I love it so much, defiantly one of the best decisions I ever made!
What's momentum like in comparison to Souly? I've only been once but have quite a few friends who now go to momentum instead!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah what degree did you take? You don't need to go to church to be with God :smile: In fact sometimes I find it easier to feel closer to him when I'm outside!

Ah which group/building were you working in?

Momentum is a lot more chilled, like there's a cafe in the big top and they serve alcohol in some of the bars. The music scene is, in my opinion, better but the sports aren't as good (I suppose there's less demand). The seminas are more directed to young adults/uni students but the main me.eting talks are pretty much the same. The worship was soooo epic though; in the last meeting we just did 3 solid hours of worship which was incredible!

The passage in Acts 2v42-47 states that by being together (at church or in small groups) we can encourage each other and grow in our faith, which is why church and being around other christians is so important.

Nah, it's okay. Just wasn't sure if you'd missed the post. Sorry I couldn't give you a more induvidual answer though.

Its cool. Although I'm not catholic, its not to do with me not agreeing with Catholicism as much as me not knowing about Catholocism. My mother was raised Catholic however we were largely drawn to our home church which was CofE (simply because it had a great community and leadership) and whilst she was a devout Catholic, she was never a theologian so apart from teaching me the sacraments, I was not instructed far into the dogma of the Catechism. I am interested though, hence why I asked.

As I said in my other thread, I don't really identify as a CofE, I agree with some and I disagree with some (its hard to keep track with all the changes though :tongue: ) but I would like to know more on Catholicism before I can comment on it. :yes:
Its cool. Although I'm not catholic, its not to do with me not agreeing with Catholicism as much as me not knowing about Catholocism. My mother was raised Catholic however we were largely drawn to our home church which was CofE (simply because it had a great community and leadership) and whilst she was a devout Catholic, she was never a theologian so apart from teaching me the sacraments, I was not instructed far into the dogma of the Catechism. I am interested though, hence why I asked.

As I said in my other thread, I don't really identify as a CofE, I agree with some and I disagree with some (its hard to keep track with all the changes though :tongue: ) but I would like to know more on Catholicism before I can comment on it. :yes:

That website, Fisheaters, really is a remarkable resource. I hope you can find it useful :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. - Isaiah 41:10
For I hold you by your right hand - I, the LORD your God. And I say to you, 'Don't be afraid. I am here to help you' - Isaiah 41:13

Thanks to a certain Goatherd, I've been re-reading Isaiah today. I'd forgotten how powerful chapters 40 to 44 are! (Well, the whole book, but for me they're especially good...)
(edited 12 years ago)
Re the whole women in ministry and being ordained thing, I found a really clear sermon series on it from my old church which I'd highly, highly recommend - it's only a four-parter, and each is about 35 minutes or so, so not much effort but very challenging and worth listening to!
The Ministry of Christian Women
Reply 6572
Original post by sparklysparkles
... The Ministry of Christian Women

Woman are equal to, but not the same as men.

Trying to make one a copy of the other undermines the glory of both, and of God.

All people, men, women & children that have received the infilling of God's Spirit are priests (ministers) of God's Spirit.

Only men should be preachers & pastors in the church.

Titus 1:5: ... ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee: :6: If any be blameless, the husband of one wife

This passage of God's word, more than any other gives God's view on the subject:

1Corinthains 11:2: ... keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
:3: But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man;
and the head of Christ is God.

That's the order in terms of auithority

:4: Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. :5: But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

"covered" means under authority, it dishonours God for a man to be under authority of a woman in the church meeting, where the "praying & prophesying" happens (see chapters 12 & 14)

:6: For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. :7: For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

This is not talking about the custom of physical head covering (see v16)

:8: For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.

Eve was of Adam, to be his "helpmeet".
This also pre-figures Christ who was "put to sleep" so thata woman (the Church) could be formed.

:9: Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
:10: For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Angels are (usually) glorious servants.

4 x 35 mins is a lot!
I havn't listened... what is their conclusion?
(edited 12 years ago)
Could anybody recommend me any good hymns to watch on Youtube? Thanks :smile:

I'm doing an MA in world and popular musics :cool:

Original post by EEngWillow
Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. - Isaiah 41:10
For I hold you by your right hand - I, the LORD your God. And I say to you, 'Don't be afraid. I am here to help you' - Isaiah 41:13

Thanks to a certain Goatherd, I've been re-reading Isaiah today. I'd forgotten how powerful chapters 40 to 44 are! (Well, the whole book, but for me they're especially good...)

:awesome:

Glad to have helped :smile:

I've just come back from seeing The Globe Mysteries at the Globe Theatre in London. The choice of mysteries was somewhat intriguing (no Moses. I would have liked to have seen that!) and some scenes were entirely inaccurate or rearranged. So it wasn't a sacred play cycle and it didn't move me religiously. That said it was great fun and I'd recommend anyone in or near London to go and see it :yep:

Pilate handed me Judas' blood money: three 10p coins. I've kept them safe in my rosary box as a souvenir :smile: I also managed to be on God's right hand side for the end of the world :awesome:
Reply 6575
We have a female pastor at my church :eek:

Although she's an associate vicar rather than the main vicar (there's also a male associate vicar and a male curate)
Reply 6576
Original post by skotch
We have a female pastor at my church :eek:

Although she's an associate vicar rather than the main vicar (there's also a male associate vicar and a male curate)

Why the :eek: symbol?

My mum's a vicar.

So's my dad actually, but that's irrelevant for the conversations going on at the moment.
Reply 6577
Original post by d123
Why the :eek: symbol?

My mum's a vicar.

So's my dad actually, but that's irrelevant for the conversations going on at the moment.

Because more conservative/traditionalist christians don't think it's right for women to lead in the church.
Reply 6578
Original post by skotch
Because more conservative/traditionalist christians don't think it's right for women to lead in the church.

It's probably best I stay out of any discussions like this, because that viewpoint makes me very very angry, and I like this thread being a place of peace and friendliness. I'm also far too stressed to get into any debates right now!
Reply 6579
Original post by d123
It's probably best I stay out of any discussions like this, because that viewpoint makes me very very angry, and I like this thread being a place of peace and friendliness. I'm also far too stressed to get into any debates right now!

I personally don't agree with that viewpoint either. I think it's one of those issues that really has to be adapted to fit with the times (ooo controversial!).

I like this thread being a place of peace and friendliness too! I think it's great that I can come here for suppport, prayer, and friendly chat if needs be.

Latest

Trending

Trending