The Student Room Group

What's my chance of getting into a medical school?

Hi guys, I will be applying to medicine in a week and I have some questions and issues in my mind that ı wanted to get advice and comments from you.
First of all, in the end of this academic year I will have 4.5 A-levels my as-level marks are AAAB in chemistry,biology,mathematics and physics respectively(btw ı did physics apart from school since ı am not allowed to the fourth subject at school) I already have turkish a-level which is A*. My a-level predictions will be A*A*AAb most probably.
I have 6 igcses of all A* (chemistry,biology,maths,physics,english and turkish) and turkish o'level A. Additionally I scored one of the highest marks in Cyprus for igcse biology and my AS biology result is highest in North Cyprus.
My overall ielts score is 8 with reading 9,listening 8.5,speaking and writing 7.5.
I have several work experiences like state hospital and a medical analysis labratory. Furthermore I spent 3 weeks at one of the ICL labratories where I wrote an extend essay on cancer. I have contributed to several charitable events as well.
I am an advanced level dancer and I do pottery.
I am also expected to finish school with the top grade.
However, I guess I have ruined everything with my UKCAT score which is 585 ...
What do you guys recommend me to do? Please help!
Reply 1
Original post by Cansu Ayten Tatar

Hi guys, I will be applying to medicine in a week and I have some questions and issues in my mind that ı wanted to get advice and comments from you.
First of all, in the end of this academic year I will have 4.5 A-levels my as-level marks are AAAB in chemistry,biology,mathematics and physics respectively(btw ı did physics apart from school since ı am not allowed to the fourth subject at school) I already have turkish a-level which is A*. My a-level predictions will be A*A*AAb most probably.
I have 6 igcses of all A* (chemistry,biology,maths,physics,english and turkish) and turkish o'level A. Additionally I scored one of the highest marks in Cyprus for igcse biology and my AS biology result is highest in North Cyprus.
My overall ielts score is 8 with reading 9,listening 8.5,speaking and writing 7.5.
I have several work experiences like state hospital and a medical analysis labratory. Furthermore I spent 3 weeks at one of the ICL labratories where I wrote an extend essay on cancer. I have contributed to several charitable events as well.
I am an advanced level dancer and I do pottery.
I am also expected to finish school with the top grade.
However, I guess I have ruined everything with my UKCAT score which is 585 ...
What do you guys recommend me to do? Please help!

Which uni's are you interested in applying to? Because if I were in your situation i'd phone each admissions office, explain your situation and just ask them if they would consider an application from you.

Also, look at uni's that don't put alot of weight on the UKCAT score.
Original post by tobnot
Which uni's are you interested in applying to? Because if I were in your situation i'd phone each admissions office, explain your situation and just ask them if they would consider an application from you.

Also, look at uni's that don't put alot of weight on the UKCAT score.

I was planning to apply Imperial,Southampton,Bristol and Birmingham but I can make some changes but I think I will still go with Imperial and Bristol for sure. Which ones do you recommend?
Reply 3

I was planning to apply Imperial,Southampton,Bristol and Birmingham but I can make some changes but I think I will still go with Imperial and Bristol for sure. Which ones do you recommend?

Well i'm only applying to Southampton out of the ones you've listed. Southampton are especially heavy on the personal statement, because they don't usually offer interviews. But i'd still give the admissions office a call in Imperial and Bristol.
Original post by tobnot
Well i'm only applying to Southampton out of the ones you've listed. Southampton are especially heavy on the personal statement, because they don't usually offer interviews. But i'd still give the admissions office a call in Imperial and Bristol.

The good fact about Imperial and Bristol is that Imperial uses BMAT instead of UKCAT and Bristol requires neither of them. I have already called several other Scotish universities and all said that it is okay to apply but it is just better to be with high score but they had offers to students with lower results than average before.
If you don't mind can ı ask you what is your ukcat score?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending