The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skotch
Oh wow, I leave this thread for one day and there's 4 more pages to read! So much activity - very encouraging!

Couple of points... I should probably point out first that I'm an Anglican/CofE-er

This may come out wrong, but before I came across this thread I had a strange view of Catholics. I didn't believe that Catholics and Anglicans could really get on and go to the same events and love the same God, but I've now changed my beliefs having read about all these Catholics that are trying just as hard to live theirs lives for God and love God just as much. I've never really come across Catholics like that. Most people I know who say they're Catholic do so simply because they're Irish or because they may have Catholic ancestry and just weren't living their lives as Christians at all.

P.S. Another question to debate on - A Christian getting a tattoo - Yay or Nay?

Glad to hear we've changed your mind about Catholics :smile: Prayer said for you.

I've decided that if - by the grace of God - I somehow manage to finish my MA and I have enough money, I'm going to get a tattoo of my guardian angel :yes:
Tattoos, yes yes. I want an epic one on my back of the four servant's songs from Isaiah in like four corners but the writing done in a way so when you step back it makes a cross pattern in the middle, which will be filled with Jesus' 7 last sayings while he was on the cross in bigger writing. So it'll be full of scripture and look like the cross.

Don't want to have to pay for it though so I must befriend a tattoo artist.
Original post by JB Johnstone
Tattoos, yes yes. I want an epic one on my back of the four servant's songs from Isaiah in like four corners but the writing done in a way so when you step back it makes a cross pattern in the middle, which will be filled with Jesus' 7 last sayings while he was on the cross in bigger writing. So it'll be full of scripture and look like the cross.

Wow! That sounds awesome! But expensive too :eek:

Befriending a tattoo artist is definitely the way forward :yep:
So, my head is still full of Isaiah verses, but this seems quite apt for this time of year (People moving to new areas for Uni, anxious about meeting their new housemates, finding churches etc - but also for parents as their children leave home!)

"When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you."
Isaiah 43:2

EDIT: For a very brief moment I thought I'd just posted this in the Maths society thread.
Original post by EEngWillow
So, my head is still full of Isaiah verses, but this seems quite apt for this time of year (People moving to new areas for Uni, anxious about meeting their new housemates, finding churches etc - but also for parents as their children leave home!)

I will be with you.
you will not drown.

EDIT: For a very brief moment I thought I'd just posted this in the Maths society thread.

Part of our sermon on sunday was about it, good times :yep:

Also in one of the guys at church's flats he has
"Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The LORD is the everlasting God,the Creator of all the earth.He never grows weak or weary.No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.Even youths will become weak and tired,and young men will fall in exhaustion.But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength.They will soar high on wings like eagles.They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:28-30"
on his wall! Isaiah = epic book!
Original post by greeneyedgirl

"Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The LORD is the everlasting God,the Creator of all the earth.He never grows weak or weary.No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.Even youths will become weak and tired,and young men will fall in exhaustion.But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength.They will soar high on wings like eagles.They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

The past fortnight or so has been the first time I've actually sat down and read the book. In the past I've somehow managed to read it without actually reading :s

I'm glad that I have now though, it truely is an amazing section.

I don't think I'd come across those verses before :nah: Thanks for sharing :smile:

Has anyone ever read any of the Christian-themed Chicken Soup for the Soul books? I'm reading one at the moment and it's a real testament to God's presence in the world :smile:
Reply 6747

That passage is my favourite! It means a lot to me, for various reasons, some obvious and fairly generic, some deeply personal. But it's beautiful.
Reply 6748

That sounds incredible!! Not really my thing though, I'd rather something small and subtle. Would love to get a tattoo of the christian fish symbol on my wrist and a thick black cross on the other wrist, but I think they might be a bit girly...
The past fortnight or so has been the first time I've actually sat down and read the book. In the past I've somehow managed to read it without actually reading :s

I'm glad that I have now though, it truely is an amazing section.

I know what you mean about reading without reading :yep: my eng lit course is always reading without reading!

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't think I'd come across those verses before :nah: Thanks for sharing :smile:

Has anyone ever read any of the Christian-themed Chicken Soup for the Soul books? I'm reading one at the moment and it's a real testament to God's presence in the world :smile:

Never even heard of those books!

Original post by d123
That passage is my favourite! It means a lot to me, for various reasons, some obvious and fairly generic, some deeply personal. But it's beautiful.

It was you who introduced me to the passage, and it is now one of my favs!

Original post by skotch
That sounds incredible!! Not really my thing though, I'd rather something small and subtle. Would love to get a tattoo of the christian fish symbol on my wrist and a thick black cross on the other wrist, but I think they might be a bit girly...

Not girly, unisex! I've been tempted to get the christian fish on my ankle :smile:
Original post by skotch

I'm with greeneyedgirl on this :yep:

Never even heard of those books!

You've never heard of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books?! :eek2:
I'm with greeneyedgirl on this :yep:

You've never heard of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books?! :eek2:

Nope I haven't...but I like chicken soup...
Nope I haven't...but I like chicken soup...

:awesome: I like chicken soup too :five:

It's books full of uplifting short stories http://www.chickensoup.com/ :smile:
Reply 6753
I'm really looking forward to studying revelation at bible study tonight :smile:

Anyone have any interesting input on revelation 3 or links to commentaries?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by skotch

You know what? I've recently been thinking about this quite a lot. I used to think tattoos looked kind of ... don't really know how to describe it but I didn't think they were appropriate however as of late I've been more and more inclined towards the prospects of one. I don't see anything Biblically wrong with it, and I couldn't see why it would be frowned on as its just ink on skin - and if it is a Christian thing then I can't really see any issue. So for me, I think it would be alright :yes:

Original post by skotch

No, that doesn't sound girly. In fact its similar to what I have been thinking of getting. Maybe not on both my wrist but I did definitely think of getting a fish and a cross - one of which possibly on my wrist.

That sounds epic! Befriend them... and then introduce me to them also :colone:

I will be with you.
you will not drown.

Great verse - I haven't heard it in a while but it really is a powerful one. :smile:

No I haven't :nah: But it sounds good... and tasty :yep:
:awesome: I like chicken soup too :five:

It's books full of uplifting short stories http://www.chickensoup.com/ :smile:

Thanks for the link, shall look at later!

Original post by Facticity
You know what? I've recently been thinking about this quite a lot. I used to think tattoos looked kind of ... don't really know how to describe it but I didn't think they were appropriate however as of late I've been more and more inclined towards the prospects of one. I don't see anything Biblically wrong with it, and I couldn't see why it would be frowned on as its just ink on skin - and if it is a Christian thing then I can't really see any issue. So for me, I think it would be alright :yes:

No, that doesn't sound girly. In fact its similar to what I have been thinking of getting. Maybe not on both my wrist but I did definitely think of getting a fish and a cross - one of which possibly on my wrist.

That sounds epic! Befriend them... and then introduce me to them also :colone:

Great verse - I haven't heard it in a while but it really is a powerful one. :smile:

No I haven't :nah: But it sounds good... and tasty :yep:

Only problem is the bible verse about not marking skin with tattoos (or something along those lines...Leviticus)

Only problem is the bible verse about not marking skin with tattoos (or something along those lines...Leviticus)

I don't recall that. Hmm, this complicates issues :beard:

I'm pretty sure the word Tattoo wouldn't have been around when Leviticus was written and it depends what the verse is referring to. I'm interested now.

EDIT: Could it have been one of those contextual commands like not eating shell fish or is there a specified reason as to why it is wrong according to God?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6757
Thanks for the link, shall look at later!

I'm pretty sure the word Tattoo wouldn't have been around when Leviticus was written and it depends what the verse is referring to. I'm interested now.

EDIT: Could it have been one of those contextual commands like not eating shell fish or is there a specified reason as to why it is wrong according to God?

I believe that verse relates to those that got tattoos as part of cults or gangs as it's in the same context as making cuts on your skin for the dead. I think tattoos are all about the meaning for them or the reasoning for why you got it. If you got it as a mark of your love for God/Jesus, then I think that's completely fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6758
Original post by skotch

something along those lines...Leviticus)

Original post by skotch
Would love to get a tattoo of the christian fish symbol on my wrist

The history of tattoos goes back to Egyption times, then they spread as their empire did, hovever tatoos may have been around for up to 14,000 years.

Tatoos originaly meant a sign of power and were set aside for religious figures. Also they were used for religious icons. Det 27:15, Psa 97.7, refers to households of idoliters, each city with it's own Gods, even seperate families.

Exodus 20:4-5 could be argued to include tatoos and were used by early Christians as symbols of acknoledgement, after which the church banned. up to 787AD

Tatoos are used globaly with women in Borneo marking their forearms to show particular crafts such as weaving. Also representing someones position in society. When worn around the wrist and fingers this suposedly warned off illness. Greeks used tatoos for spies to recognise one another. The Romans marked slaves and criminals.

It is a pretty common occurance today, some christians say that it is sin. I being one of those.

Leviticus 19:28. In context this speaks of preperation of the dead, marking with pagan symbols.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20. This shows Christ owns your body so you must honour him, he would never get a tatoo with snakes or butterflies would he? Colossians 3:17 continues this idea.

1 Thess 5:2. Tatoos symbolised evil in the past, common in pagan practice, therefore we should seperate from all connection with sin, we are set apart. 1 Peter 2:9.

2 Corinthians 6:17. We are not supposed to live the way the rest of the pagan world lives, even if it seems cool.

Galations 6:17. Some Christians would argue that a tatoo of Christ can be justified. However this apears to state otherwise, it is not of God. Pagans marked their bodies with images of their Gods, we should not be like pagans but honour God in praise, worship and through sharing the Gospel mystery - that is reveled to us- with others. We do not need tatoos, they are not a way of praising God. All our actions should be used to golrify God, tatoos are clearly originaly from devil not God. Anything that does not Glorify Godshould be questioned.

Revelation 13:16,17 ; 14:9,11 ; 15:2 ; 16:2 ; 19:20 ; 20:4. Where false worshipers are represented as receving in their hands and on their forehead the marks of the beast. So it could be seen as false worship.

It is not from God, even if we atempt to manipulate it, it says that false worshipers do such things, we should shy away from anything that was born from sinfulness or paganism, in that respect it is definatly SIN.

Looking at the Biblical evidence I would never myself get a tatoo, my body belongs to Christ alone, I doubt he wants me to have any tatoo even of a cross. We should show that we are Christians through our words and works not by the ink on our skin. We are set apart as holy vessels for God.

I would advise a Christian not to be like everyone else and do what they do, especialy when it conotes paganism, looking throughout history. But it is your body, but you should honour Christ. Be very weary of such things that are originaly from paganism, therefore of the devil

This is my view - so nay- some may argue against it but I think it has strong biblical foundations, that tatoos are not of God, do not honour him, therefore is sin, just bear it in mind.

Hope this is of use.

God Bless:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
My friend did his essay in Leviticus class on whether, as Chrisitans, we can or cannot get tattoos. His conclusion was that we cannot. I'm not sure how he approached it, but it was different from the distinction between moral/ceremonial law that most people try to use.

I'll have to read his essay sometime, but I think his argument was something along the following lines. So many things in Leviticus (and indeed the Old Testament) are symbolic, for example the sacrifices, the tabernacle, etc. etc. In Leviticus one of the main themes is holiness, and it is directly related to wholeness. For example, when Leviticus talks about leprosy it isn't talking about the disease which we now talk about as leprosy, but (doctors and theologians think) up to three different skin diseases, which aren't all contagious. So why, if they're not contagious does the person need to be isolated?
Because the whole state of the skin was symbolic of the holiness of the person, so leprosy on the skin would symbolically represent a blotch in the person's holiness, so they cannot thus be associated with the holiness and righteousness of the tabernacle so they must be isolated.
In addition to the pagan context which the Israelites were coming out of, giving oneself a tattoo would also mark the skin in a similar fashion, and would be symbolic of unholiness and sin, so they were not allowed to be associated with the camp of Israel.

That's not his exact train of thought and he did give a lot more justification for the symbolism and why it was an important factor in the day to day life of Israel in the wilderness. I'll get back to you. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending