The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It can get you to the letter F. Unless you can't recite the alphabet, then you're pretty stuck, yeah.
Reply 2
No idea.
My economics teacher said one of his ex students got an E, now he's working in a bank earning 30k.
It depends on your ability, some people get and E and are happy that they pass, i think A levels are much much harder than gcses because you actually have to put to in effort
Reply 4
I guess that for an offer which was based on UCAS tariff, the E could give a candidate those extra few points to tip them into the green zone and get them into uni. It's certainly better than a U either way, because a U would mar the rest of your academic profile more than an E. It's the difference between achieving something for studying a subject for two years and failing it altogether, which would waste those two years.
E could mean "Exceeds Expectations" :holmes:
Original post by confuzzled92

So an A is only "Acceptable"? :cry2:
Reply 7
Original post by confuzzled92

E could also mean Eggtastic or Explosive or Exorbitant or Extremely Crap or... :holmes:
Reply 8
A-levels are a lot harder but I agree, if you know less than 50% of the course, should you be able to pass it (if you didn't know, an E is roughly 40-50%)
Reply 9
As you managed to get above a U which is the only one that is a fail, you may only have just managed an E, but you still had enough points for some recognition.
Apparently anything over a 'F' is a pass...
Original post by gridlock
E could also mean Eggtastic or Explosive or Exorbitant or Extremely Crap or... :holmes:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Grades#Letter_Grades
Reply 12
No idea, 'cause it fudgin' sucks.
well, come unis ask for AAAe i.e. AAA/pass.

an E demonstrates some aptitude for that subject, though obviously not a lot...
Reply 14
Original post by AspiringGenius
E should not be a pass, sorry, but E should be fail. A C should be a pass, and E, well D,E,F and G should just be a measurement of how much of a fail it is.

Or perhaps we only need A, B, C and F?

Agreed.
Reply 15
its technically a pass as in its not bad enough to not even get a grade. that doesn't mean the people telling you that are trying to say its a good pass or worth having.
Reply 16
I remember that Cambridge arbitary offer given by 1/3 of Christs College, Cambridge is officially EE lol. ( Apparently being phased out, in my day '08 was standard practice).

In theory you could get EE in your A levels and still get into cambridge, effectively fulfilling the requirements of that particular offer.
A-levels aren't compulsory so they probably make it easier to pass or something. I got an E grade in an AS but it still helped me get my uni place because it added UCAS points so no worries. A-levels don't tend to mean much once you have a degree anyway (depending what you do/where you apply etc for all the people who kick and scream that I made an over-generalisation).
(edited 12 years ago)
'E' for 'English' is totally fine:biggrin:
Nah just joking around.
You're not officially a failure until you get a U but it's embarrassing for an A-B student. C is a horror for such! But there are universities that accept you when your UCAS points are enough. There are those who are simply trying to pass and it's fine for them. It's fair because they won't get a place in a prestigious university.
Reply 19
E is the true top grade. You've been fooled.

Latest