The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Grading Questions

I'm struggling to find information on the Open University website and was wondering if anyone can clarify some questions for me please?

I've just finished 2 modules for the BSc in Psychology and Counselling.
- For module 1 I got a score of 76.
- For module 2 I got a score of 73.
Both of these modules are indicated as a "pass" on my study record. Am I right in thinking that I will be either marked a "pass" or a "fail" and not anything else (e.g., "distinction", "merit" etc.)? If there are other levels, does anyone have the information for what they would be for individual modules please?

I have recently found out that some modules don't count towards your final grade, how do I find out which modules this applies to?

Final question (I'm so sorry), what percentage counts as a first, 2:1 etc for The Open University?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer my questions. I know I had a few more but I've spent hours at my laptop and have fried my brain somewhat.
If they are Stage 1 modules, they tend not to distinguish between passes Grade 1-4 because it does not count towards your final degree classification. Usually it will be a much simpler Distinction/Pass/Fail. Once you get to Stages 2 and 3, then your result will be graded Pass 1 (85% - First/Distinction), Pass 2 (70% - 2:1), Pass 3 (55% - 2:2), Pass 4 (40% - 3rd), Fail.
(edited 7 months ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Veet Voojagig
If they are Stage 1 modules, they tend not to distinguish between passes Grade 1-4 because it does not count towards your final degree classification. Usually it will be a much simpler Distinction/Pass/Fail. Once you get to Stages 2 and 3, then your result will be graded Pass 1 (85% - First/Distinction), Pass 2 (70% - 2:1), Pass 3 (55% - 2:2), Pass 4 (40% - 3rd), Fail.

Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest