The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brand New Eyes
yeah but all that stuff is minor compared to sending it off and applying. Won't know if we're being interviewed till the last minute.

yeah, well 98% were interviewed for classics last year, so I like to think I have a chance :colondollar: but yeah, once UCAS is sent most of the pressure is off
For people doing the maths test:

How many marks is each part worth? Also, do you have to answer every single question, or just pick a few to do well?
Original post by number23

How many marks is each part worth? Also, do you have to answer every single question, or just pick a few to do well?
The multiple choice are worth four marks each - you either get four marks or nothing. You then answer four long questions (there's no choice, but it depends on the degree you're applying for) each of which is out of fifteen - the precise way these are marked is not known.

This means the multiple choice should take you about 6 minutes each, and the longer questions 22.5 minutes each.

I think you should certainly try every question (of the one's for your subject), but you certainly don't need everything right to get a "good score".
Original post by KatieKate
Wadham, porque estoy una chica desenfrenada y liberada :P
Qu'est-ce que tu preferes - frances o español? Ou bien les deux mdr.

Still waiting for my useless and inconsiderate Head of Year to send my flooping reference & final application though :mad:

Ahh, vale. En vérité c'est trop difficile de décider... j'adore les deux :love:.
Si tenía que elegir entre los dos, sería similar a alguien elegir entre sus hijos.

:smile:
Original post by fluteflute
The multiple choice are worth four marks each - you either get four marks or nothing. You then answer four long questions (there's no choice, but it depends on the degree you're applying for) each of which is out of fifteen - the precise way these are marked is not known.

This means the multiple choice should take you about 6 minutes each, and the longer questions 22.5 minutes each.

I think you should certainly try every question (of the one's for your subject), but you certainly don't need everything right to get a "good score".

thanks, what advice would you give to prepare for the test?

thanks, what advice would you give to prepare for the test?

Just to do all of the past papers and make sure you understand the answers that oxford give. Looking over the C1/C2 textbook might be a good idea if you're feeling rusty on anything.

What subject are you applying for?
So my referee mentioned pre-interview tests to me when sending off my application yesterday and I assumed I'd be able to register through my school and take it there... But she didn't mention anything... It's the TSA I'm taking but yeah. Now I'm all confused and there's no way I can get into contact with her I don't think as we are on holiday next week :frown:
Original post by LonelySoul193
So my referee mentioned pre-interview tests to me when sending off my application yesterday and I assumed I'd be able to register through my school and take it there... But she didn't mention anything... It's the TSA I'm taking but yeah. Now I'm all confused and there's no way I can get into contact with her I don't think as we are on holiday next week :frown:

Contact your school's exam officer as they will enter you. The deadline for entries is the 14th October. If you can't contact anyone at your school, just register with an independent test centre: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/findcentre
Username: Captain Darling
Subject: Classical Archaeology and Ancient History
GCSE: Dont ask :P
AS: AAAB
College: Magdalen
Username: AnimalSpirit
Subject: Economics & Management
Danish Studentereksamen: 12,2
College: Brasenose
Reply 6750

I'm not sure if you have had a look through this document, but I'd recommend having a quick read. Basically, from the MAT last year:

49% was the average score across all candidates
61% was the average score across all invited for interview
69% was the average score across those given an offer.

All applicants have to do the multiple choice questions and 2 of the longer-style questions, and the other 2 longer questions are determined by the subject you are applying for.
Just to do all of the past papers and make sure you understand the answers that oxford give. Looking over the C1/C2 textbook might be a good idea if you're feeling rusty on anything.

What subject are you applying for?

I am applying for maths (single honours); ive just finished A level maths so it was quite a while since I did c1 and c2
I am applying for maths (single honours); ive just finished A level maths so it was quite a while since I did c1 and c2

Which is exactly why you should look over it, unless you remember everything from that aswell as C3,C4 and applied units
Which is exactly why you should look over it, unless you remember everything from that aswell as C3,C4 and applied units
Yeah that's exactly my situation. Some of the finer points of C1/C2 have been forgotten....

One thing I particularly need to memorise is the formulae for summation of geometric series...
Yeah that's exactly my situation. Some of the finer points of C1/C2 have been forgotten....

One thing I particularly need to memorise is the formulae for summation of geometric series...

Aint no formula sheets for MAT I'm guessing. Ah don't you miss the days when all you had to remember was the quadratic formula.

Aint no formula sheets for MAT I'm guessing. Ah don't you miss the days when all you had to remember was the quadratic formula.

Nope :frown: Although to be honest there's not much in the MAT that needs formulas (other than the series thing I just mentioned).

For both Maths and Physics A level they give you practically all of the formulas though :tongue: Of course from doing lots of questions they end up engraved in your brain. And of course not looking them up saves time!
Nope :frown: Although to be honest there's not much in the MAT that needs formulas (other than the series thing I just mentioned).

For both Maths and Physics A level they give you practically all of the formulas though :tongue: Of course from doing lots of questions they end up engraved in your brain. And of course not looking them up saves time!

*laughs* ... I still don't know the rules of geometry and circle theorem angles from GCSE -_-

Is that Sn? = n/2(2a+(n-1)d) or something along those lines
Is that Sn? = n/2(2a+(n-1)d) or something along those lines
Yeah exactly that. I can remember that one for arithmetic progressions (like 1,6,11,17...) - especially as you can write it as n2(a+l)\frac{n}{2}(a+l)

But I struggle to remember the geometric progressions (e.g. 2, 20, 200, 2000) formula... although today I've 'learnt' the formula for summing to infinity when -1 < x < 1. I'll have it sussed for November 2nd though.
Yeah exactly that. I can remember that one for arithmetic progressions (like 1,6,11,17...) - especially as you can write it as n2(a+l)\frac{n}{2}(a+l)

But I struggle to remember the geometric progressions (e.g. 2, 20, 200, 2000) formula... although today I've 'learnt' the formula for summing to infinity when -1 &lt; x &lt; 1. I'll have it sussed for November 2nd though.

I just did it on Wednesday in FP1 Series & induction. It's been a long time since C2 for me and we only just struggled to piece it together.

Ah yes, the arithmetic is alot shorter yipee :smile:

Ahw I love the sum to infinity, when we proved it I was just like....

:O

Hilbert's Hotel Paradox
I just did it on Wednesday in FP1 Series & induction. It's been a long time since C2 for me and we only just struggled to piece it together.

Ah yes, the arithmetic is alot shorter yipee :smile:

Ahw I love the sum to infinity, when we proved it I was just like....

:O

Hilbert's Hotel Paradox
*a lot :wink:

Maths really can be beautiful sometimes :biggrin: I actually rather like the MAT papers because they test depth of understanding, rather than just how much maths you can remember. (The formula for series is a rare departure from that.)

P.S. How have you escaped the stalking page?

Latest

Trending

Trending