The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Groat
Oxford sent emails to teachers advising that their best students should put UMS scores on the UCAS application or referees should mention them in the reference.

Phew...
Original post by Groat
Oxford sent emails to teachers advising that their best students should put UMS scores on the UCAS application or referees should mention them in the reference. It caused a bit of debate as they make no reference to wanting UMS on their website, and it is going to be obvious to them who has scraped AAAA if no UMS are mentioned in the application.

I got 98 and 96 in History and it wasn't in my reference... awkward

Also I highly suspect that...

That would mean they'd actually have to email EVERY school in the country, because they could be getting applications from any school.

Also, aren't you applying to Cambridge? :rolls eyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7582
Original post by fluteflute
I know they ask enrolling students about their UMS (although that's not covert).

But what did the Times say? (silly paywall!)

EDIT:

I thought that was standard advice for all applicants to all universities. If you've got good UMS, then let them know... :tongue:

Yes, but it seems Oxford are now using it to discriminate between similar candidates.

Original post by Brand New Eyes

That would mean they'd actually have to email EVERY school in the country, because they could be getting applications from any school.

Well I'm only quoting what The Times reported.

Yes, I am applying to Cambridge. :K:
(edited 12 years ago)

same I got 100 in both my AS greek and latin language papers....

referee: "It's not appropriate" :facepalm2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by medbh4805
same I got 100 in both my AS greek and latin language papers....

referee: "It's not appropriate" :facepalm2:

I dont know whats more awkawrd, the fact that SOME of my teachers included it and some did when actually I got an average of 90+ on all my subjects -_-

:frown: that really sucks! but they interview like nearly all classics applicants and you seem really keen so :biggrin: ITS ALRIGHT FOR SOME
I dont know whats more awkawrd, the fact that SOME of my teachers included it and some did when actually I got an average of 90+ on all my subjects -_-

:frown: that really sucks! but they interview like nearly all classics applicants and you seem really keen so :biggrin: ITS ALRIGHT FOR SOME

Haha same!!!

sigh, my school doesn't really know how to handle any applications for subjects other than med/law/nursing etc ....

I don't know about that one too, up until this year they see to have interviewed 95%+ of applicants, but then they did the tests at interview, but this year they're having them on the 2nd November, so i don't know if that's going to change (although I got the impression on the open day it wouldn't) :holmes:

argh schools just suck in general :sad:
Original post by Groat
Oxford sent emails to teachers advising that their best students should put UMS scores on the UCAS application or referees should mention them in the reference. It caused a bit of debate as they make no reference to wanting UMS on their website, and it is going to be obvious to them who has scraped AAAA if no UMS are mentioned in the application.

Where did you hear this?
Reply 7588
Original post by languagegeek
Phew, I feel much better hearing this! Who told you about that? I showed my french teacher who is a native, and she had to think quite hard on a few of them... What sort of activites are you doing in terms of revision?

Yeah it's meant to be hard don't worry. An Oxford 2nd year student told me. Even at second year degree level he couldn't really do them Really? Yeah the whole test tests SO much grammar! :K:

I'm not actually doing any sort of revision right now :ashamed2:. But I like the sound of going through a German grammar book and learning stuff thoroughly! And I might get a teacher to write out some new mock tests for me! What about you?
I got my confirmation at 9:00 today. Phew.

On the subject of grammar tests, I was under the impression that they use it more to decide what grammar class you're in if you get in, and maybe to ask you questions at interview. An admissions tutor said that a low score won't mean that you don't get an interview, unless you fail it. But then I don't really know what constitutes a fail....
Original post by Lexi C
Yeah it's meant to be hard don't worry. An Oxford 2nd year student told me. Even at second year degree level he couldn't really do them Really? Yeah the whole test tests SO much grammar! :K:

I'm not actually doing any sort of revision right now :ashamed2:. But I like the sound of going through a German grammar book and learning stuff thoroughly! And I might get a teacher to write out some new mock tests for me! What about you?

That makes me feel a little bit better!

At the moment I have just been flicking through a grammar book aimlessly. I feel like it is not adding more to what I know, I want to actually do some practice ones but I have nowhere to get them from :/
Original post by languagegeek
That makes me feel a little bit better!

At the moment I have just been flicking through a grammar book aimlessly. I feel like it is not adding more to what I know, I want to actually do some practice ones but I have nowhere to get them from :/

I want to do some practice ones as well, but also have nowhere to get them from. I would ask my teachers to make some up, but they're all really busy, so I don't want to annoy them.
Reply 7592
<3 ITS SO PRETTY. the gardens <3 the music room omgosh. but they had renovations when I went in september so most of it was blocked off :frown: I do wish it was slightly larger!

I love the gardens! I HAD to have a pretty college with nice gardens! :biggrin: I am a biologist after all :P
I went in June/July time, but it was the last college I went to (even though it was my favourite when looking at websites) and I literally left my parents behind and ran there to get there beofre it closed :P Got there like 4 mins before it closed, but a really nice Biology girl showed me the rooms and gardens and chapel!
They'd shut the hall though :frown: and I didnt see the music room. :O Did it have a beautiful piano?

I went back during summer to look around other oxford colleges just to make sure :P But Merton was shut. :frown: But I looked at the outside of Rose Lane, and Holywell street :P Accommodation looks pretty nice :biggrin:

I quite like the size, but I didn't mind much about size except that it wasnt realllllly small. There are 4 biologists in each year at merton though. I hope I get in so much :P
Reply 7593
Original post by Groat
Did anyone read the article in The Times about Oxford covertly asking for UMS marks?

I read it in the paper, yes. Slight problem that I've already sent mine off without UMS marks! I really didn't think it was that much of an issue whether they were added or not, so I didn't. I'm just hoping it doesn't affect my chances...
Did you put yours on your UCAS, assuming you're applying?
Where is my acknowledgement -_-
Original post by Emgrace
I love the gardens! I HAD to have a pretty college with nice gardens! :biggrin: I am a biologist after all :P
I went in June/July time, but it was the last college I went to (even though it was my favourite when looking at websites) and I literally left my parents behind and ran there to get there beofre it closed :P Got there like 4 mins before it closed, but a really nice Biology girl showed me the rooms and gardens and chapel!
They'd shut the hall though :frown: and I didnt see the music room. :O Did it have a beautiful piano?

I went back during summer to look around other oxford colleges just to make sure :P But Merton was shut. :frown: But I looked at the outside of Rose Lane, and Holywell street :P Accommodation looks pretty nice :biggrin:

I quite like the size, but I didn't mind much about size except that it wasnt realllllly small. There are 4 biologists in each year at merton though. I hope I get in so much :P

Aww parents! It's so funny seeing all these keen parents being dragged around from college to college. Balliol was also so pretty but I didn't really fancy my chances seeing as it has like the second most applicants!

The piano is amazing! It's a grand <3 <3 ... not that I saw it in real life. Thanks panoramic views of colleges, win. But the gardens are lovely! Didn't see the hall or library or or anything! lots of building work going on around Oxford this year so thats probs why. Good to know! I wanted to see the accomodation! they used to have pictures up on their old JCR website but since they re-vamped it the catalogue of rooms is gone. Also I have heard of some Mertonians refer to their rooms as tents, so I'm guessing its just luck really.

There are 8 PPE-ists at Merton every year, or so they say
Original post by 4 I Murder Carrots Fun
Where is my acknowledgement -_-

I second this question....:erm:
Reply 7597
Original post by KingMessi
I second this question....:erm:

All I've received from Oxford was a warning to book the HAT about two and a half hours before the deadline. Those chaps are getting lazy
Reply 7598
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
Really?:smile: I'm glad to hear that, as I have never been to my college)) amazing in what way? personally or academically? could you please tell me a bit about your Univ interview?:smile:)

Well academically can be assumed, all the tutors are preposterously good at something in their field, and generally across the board.

They were just really nice, interesting, and engaging.
The questions were tough obviously, but were interesting. My Univ interview was the only one where we discussed the areas of CS that are of interest to me, but in an academic capacity. In that, it wasn't just like "What are you interested in" as an icebreaker, the maths and logic problems were set around areas of particular interest to me. It was very enjoyable, and I learned a lot.
Reply 7599
Original post by desy.kris
hello, may I ask, if in the acknowledgement they say that my college has been confirmed, does that mean my assigned college won't ever be changed? or can that change after the interview? :O

Did you make an open application?

When you go to interview at your chosen college, or the college selected for you if you made an open application, everyone will be assigned one other college where you will have at least one other interview.
For instance, I applied to Keble, but also had an interview at University College because everyone has at least one somewhere else.

As far as I know you cannot change your college after you have applied, but then again I never looked into it. You can look on the website/email admissions and they will be able to give you a clear answer.

Latest

Trending

Trending