The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7600
Original post by Fallen

When you go to interview at your chosen college, or the college selected for you if you made an open application, everyone will be assigned one other college where you will have at least one other interview.
For instance, I applied to Keble, but also had an interview at University College because everyone has at least one somewhere else.

That's not actually true. Some people are only interviewed by one college. Last year, a friend and I were both interviewed at Balliol but nowhere else. I don't know how they determine who gets interviewed at a second college. He got an offer and I didn't, so I don't think it has anything to do with how well you perform.
Reply 7601
Original post by PhateGBR
That's not actually true. Some people are only interviewed by one college. Last year, a friend and I were both interviewed at Balliol but nowhere else. I don't know how they determine who gets interviewed at a second college. He got an offer and I didn't, so I don't think it has anything to do with how well you perform.

It may depend on the subject, but certainly for Computer Science what I said holds true.
EDIT: And the person I was addressing is applying for Maths and Computer Science.

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#Why_do_I_have_interviews_in_two_different_colleges.3F
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7602
Original post by Fallen
It may depend on the subject, but certainly for Computer Science what I said holds true.
EDIT: And the person I was addressing is applying for Maths and Computer Science.

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Frequently_asked_questions#Why_do_I_have_interviews_in_two_different_colleges.3F

Ah, ok. I did have a quick look at the posts to see whether a specific subject had been mentioned, but clearly didn't look hard enough and assumed you were giving general advice. Apologies :smile:
Does anyone know when decisions go out if you applied by the 15th October (not sure if that date is just for Scottish applicants), on the website all I could find was a "around the end of January" deadline if you'd applied by some date in november. I'm probably being an idiot, far too worked up.
Original post by helloblueskies
Does anyone know when decisions go out if you applied by the 15th October (not sure if that date is just for Scottish applicants), on the website all I could find was a "around the end of January" deadline if you'd applied by some date in november. I'm probably being an idiot, far too worked up.

The Oxford application was due October 15th for all applicants. I believe you find out about whether you've recieved an interview around the middle of November. The interviews take place in the weeks preceding Christmas and then the results are sent out before they leave for Christmas break. You should then receive it end of December/beginning of January, depending on how long the mail takes.
Original post by sixdaysinthesun

Original post by sixdaysinthesun
The Oxford application was due October 15th for all applicants. I believe you find out about whether you've recieved an interview around the middle of November. The interviews take place in the weeks preceding Christmas and then the results are sent out before they leave for Christmas break. You should then receive it end of December/beginning of January, depending on how long the mail takes.
In the UK, you should find out before Christmas :smile: (unless we have huge amounts of snow, like happened last year :tongue: but in that case they may well email)
Original post by fluteflute
In the UK, you should find out before Christmas :smile: (unless we have huge amounts of snow, like happened last year :tongue: but in that case they may well email)

Oh god, the snow last year was AWFUL! I hope like hell it doesn't happen again....:colondollar:

Original post by KingMessi
Oh god, the snow last year was AWFUL! I hope like hell it doesn't happen again....:colondollar:

haha I can see there being even more snow than we had last year :tongue:
Original post by KingMessi
Original post by fudgesundae
At least if it snows this year they'll know to just email us :biggrin:
Reply 7609
Original post by languagegeek
That makes me feel a little bit better!

At the moment I have just been flicking through a grammar book aimlessly. I feel like it is not adding more to what I know, I want to actually do some practice ones but I have nowhere to get them from :/

Ha yeah don't worry. Yeah I might get my hands on a grammar book today!
Would your teacher not write one or two out for you? It can't be that hard!
Reply 7610
At least if it snows this year they'll know to just email us :biggrin:

Do you think they'll email us our offer/rejection? I live in Northern Ireland there's NO way I'd get my post for ages if it snows :afraid:
Reply 7611
Original post by fudgesundae

...doesn't that mean like 10 cm? .D
(seriously, if there's another freak-out about a bit of snow and airports will shut down any time around the interviews, I'll...um...get mad .P )
Original post by Groat
x

OMG i LOVE the picture in your sig!!

Original post by Fallen
Did you make an open application?

When you go to interview at your chosen college, or the college selected for you if you made an open application, everyone will be assigned one other college where you will have at least one other interview.
For instance, I applied to Keble, but also had an interview at University College because everyone has at least one somewhere else.

As far as I know you cannot change your college after you have applied, but then again I never looked into it. You can look on the website/email admissions and they will be able to give you a clear answer.

no no I'm just worrying if my college will be changed one day because I don't want it to change... they said in the acknowledgement that my college is already confirmed, but I wonder if it means it won't change no matter what or it's still subject to change, because I really don't want to change college...

oh will international applicants be interviewed 2x too, if they choose to be interviewed through phone?
Original post by 4 I Murder Carrots Fun
Where is my acknowledgement -_-

Have you checked SPAM - some seem to be ending up there
Original post by desy.kris
OMG i LOVE the picture in your sig!!

no no I'm just worrying if my college will be changed one day because I don't want it to change... they said in the acknowledgement that my college is already confirmed, but I wonder if it means it won't change no matter what or it's still subject to change, because I really don't want to change college...

oh will international applicants be interviewed 2x too, if they choose to be interviewed through phone?

If you get invited for an interview, you will be interviewed at your selected college. However, you might get interviews at other colleges and might receive an offer from another college if your college will not be able to offer you a place (if it has too many qualified candidates). So yes, you can be moved to another college, but it either that or not Oxford at all..
Original post by AnimalSpirit
If you get invited for an interview, you will be interviewed at your selected college. However, you might get interviews at other colleges and might receive an offer from another college if your college will not be able to offer you a place (if it has too many qualified candidates). So yes, you can be moved to another college, but it either that or not Oxford at all..

will that be the case for internationals who can't make it to the UK, too?
will that be the case for internationals who can't make it to the UK, too?

I'm pretty sure.. The interview process shouldn't change because of that.. Although, I might be wrong :smile:
Original post by Fallen
Well academically can be assumed, all the tutors are preposterously good at something in their field, and generally across the board.

They were just really nice, interesting, and engaging.
The questions were tough obviously, but were interesting. My Univ interview was the only one where we discussed the areas of CS that are of interest to me, but in an academic capacity. In that, it wasn't just like "What are you interested in" as an icebreaker, the maths and logic problems were set around areas of particular interest to me. It was very enjoyable, and I learned a lot.

That's really cool of them to take into account our preferred topics :cool: Thanks:smile:)
Original post by AnimalSpirit
I'm pretty sure.. The interview process shouldn't change because of that.. Although, I might be wrong :smile:

I actually wonder how long interviews are and how many (academic) questions they ask. anyone knows where to find more info on this? I'm applying for Maths&CS if that's relevant.
I actually wonder how long interviews are and how many (academic) questions they ask. anyone knows where to find more info on this? I'm applying for Maths&CS if that's relevant.

For Chemistry, I am aware that they ask you questions to test your knowledge of the A Level syllabus. They can then ask you more demanding questions that go beyond the syllabus.

Latest

Trending

Trending