The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coodooloo
I'm not surprised your school are refusing to help you. you have to be strong in what you choose to study. Especially if you want to go to a university like Oxford- they care far more about your passion for the subject than your desire to study at their university!!

I put in an application for a subject that I do enjoy very much, and I am good at it- but the real reason is that, so many people advised me, if I were to apply for the other subject, I may not stand a chance of getting into a good university, not just Oxford, simply because it is so competitive and my grades are not as good as they could have been. Now, though, the thought of giving up that subject completely (I'm applying post- A level) is both depressing and terrifying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by _becca
I was gonna apply for History/English so I looked at the HAT... it looks like Hell incarnate, feel sorry for you!! haha, wow you must have had an amazing statement/reference/set of grades! :smile:

argh the HAT :eek3: I know, I know :frown: I'm *slightly* freaked about it.

Personally I think my reference must have just been very good :colondollar: but it won't swing it for Oxford/ Exeter!

Original post by _becca

I'm applying Ox, Durham, York and Royal Holloway. I would love to go to Royal Holloway, it's so pretty! (that's basically been half of my criteria for unis, it had to be pretty, course optional :wink: )

Where else are you applying? UEA, Oxford, RH..?

I'm applying to Oxford, UEA, RHUL, Bristol and Exeter :smile: I don't expect to hear back from the last two until after the January dead line at least though...

I'm not going to lie, the attractiveness of the buildings did feature slightly on my university criteria too! :wink:
Reply 7862
Original post by Festina lente
Re the queries about structured questions, does this thread help? I thought I remembered this coming up last year.

Thanks! It helped a lot :smile: I'll just have to reword my essay question and take out some clauses before submission, then.
Original post by imre93
That's all right :tongue: Are you applying to Oxford?

yes, st john's for ppe. you?
Original post by snehame
I've applied for Law. What about you? :smile:

Biology, good luck with you application!
Original post by the_fresh_prince
yes, st john's for ppe.

I applied for St John's as well, for psychology & philosophy. :biggrin:

Original post by Niki_girl

I'm applying to Oxford, UEA, RHUL, Bristol and Exeter :smile: I don't expect to hear back from the last two until after the January dead line at least though...

I'm not going to lie, the attractiveness of the buildings did feature slightly on my university criteria too! :wink:

I'm applying for Oxford, RHUL, Bristol, and Exeter as well! :O Have you gotten a confirmation from RHUL yet...? Mine is still MIA :s-smilie:
Original post by punctuation

I'm applying for Oxford, RHUL, Bristol, and Exeter as well! :O Have you gotten a confirmation from RHUL yet...? Mine is still MIA :s-smilie:

Haha, loads of people have the same choices as me (well, practically the same choices) they're great :biggrin: I got an offer from RHUL without them even sending a confirmation/ acknowledgement, I don't think they send them! :smile:
Original post by the_fresh_prince
yes, st john's for ppe. you?
Original post by punctuation
I applied for St John's as well, for psychology & philosophy. :biggrin:
Wooh, let's have a St John's Philosophy party!
Original post by 007dunlop
Yayyyy well done :smile: What subject?

Maths :biggrin: experimental psych ay? my friend is applying for that, involves brainwashing doesn't it? :ninja:
Original post by 007dunlop
Thanks :smile: It's for Psychology :smile: I didn't realsie they did either...I thought it might be Durham because apparently Durham have started giving offers out...

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

Ahem, anyway, well done again to everyone who has received an offer!
Not that this is making me want to cry or anything...
Original post by such_a_lady

:jumphug: All in good time.

Your offers will come flooding in any day now. :smile:
Reply 7871

Ahem, anyway, well done again to everyone who has received an offer!

I know right! I want one already! :P
Original post by Banoffeepie16
:jumphug: All in good time.

Your offers will come flooding in any day now. :smile:

As I read that, my email notification went off and I got excited over nothing :rolleyes:

Thankyou for the hug, it actually helped :tongue:
As I read that, my email notification went off and I got excited over nothing :rolleyes:

Thankyou for the hug, it actually helped :tongue:

Anytime! Hugs are kind of my thing :tongue:
Reply 7874
Original post by languagegeek
No :/ Do you know where I could get some from?

I know you can download one off the "oxbridge applications" website but it costs £35 :s-smilie: You're better off buying a grammar workbook or something. I'm sure your school has one, they're quite useful because they have little exercises!
Reply 7875
How seriously have people prepared for the H.A.T? It says no SPECIAL preparation is needed...doesn't this scare anyone?
Reply 7876
I know most of you have the acknowledgement from the university itself but mine said that my college should contact me by the end of October... Has anyone been contacted by their college yet? (In particular the mathematicians or anyone else applying to St. Catherine's...)
Seriously stressing about this ELAT now. It still seems a long, long way away...:erm:
Original post by ginger_biscuits
I put in an application for a subject that I do enjoy very much, and I am good at it- but the real reason is that, so many people advised me, if I were to apply for the other subject, I may not stand a chance of getting into a good university, not just Oxford, simply because it is so competitive and my grades are not as good as they could have been. Now, though, the thought of giving up that subject completely (I'm applying post- A level) is both depressing and terrifying.

just apply for the course your passionate about- forget about the competition.
shouldn't really be in this thread, but if anyone's wondering, last year I applied to Oxford, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York and Durham, and ended up getting 5 offers, but by the time of my Oxford interview, I only had one offer (from York, on the 5th November). Lots of my friends had 2 or 3 by that point, so I was a bit worried, but just letting you know that just because you don't hear early doesn't mean it's bad news.
I actually ended up hearing from:
York on 5th November
Oxford the week before Christmas
Durham the week after Christmas
St Andrews at the end of January
Edinburgh in MARCH D:
If any of you have applied for Edinburgh, be VERY prepared to do a lot of waiting around :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending