The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
I've noticed on TSR that when a thread becomes exceptionally long a new thread is created in its place and the old one is shut down... WHy ?

Was the old one closed ?

10,000 posts and a thread gets closed, probably because it's too much for the servers...
Original post by blossom12
How do you know about submitting photos? Any forms t submit and do they email them to you? thanks!

If your college has sent you an email already (the one about being under "active consideration"), then there'll probably be a link to a form to fill in online about accommodation in case you get an interview and some other links about sending in written work and photos.

Maybe only some do it...but you need four passport sized photos to send off with your written work with your name, course and (apparently) your referee's/teacher's signature on it. That's all I know...what college are you in? If it's the same one as me I can send you the links.
Original post by Amna.
What is everyone's progress? i applied for Mathematics....have an MAT on the 2nd Nov.

Good luck with that, I'm also sitting the MAT. How are you finding the past papers?
Hope the preperation goes well!
:smile:
Original post by fluteflute
Before we start afresh, time to award some prizes from the old thread... (I've included anyone who got 50 posts)

[13]Niki_girl 150

:woo: number 13, lucky for some! Did not realisied I'd posted 150 times in one thread...

Did you know: the top ten posters made up 49% of all the posts? :tongue:

:laugh: that explains a lot!
Reply 124
Original post by Historophilia
Yeah I think they mostly are.

For the HAT test the hardest bit is they give you an essay title and say to write about any event or area of history. You then have to sit there racking your brains for something you know about that could work with the question! That's the bit i'm most worried about, just forgetting everything! The rest is source analysis so it's a bit less stressful.

In the ELAT do you have to come up with any of your own texts and write from memory?

I know, another girl from my history class is doing the HAT as well and I'd hate if one of us got in but not the other :frown:

Good luck on Wednesday!

In the ELAT you get six unseen texts on the same theme (the sample paper is all themed around fathers, and the texts range from prose, poetry, letters etc.) and you have to compare two or three of the texts in quote: 'a way you find interesting'. basically an essay on close reading but with no question to actually answer.......
Reply 125
Original post by StacFace
I know, luckily I'm not an international student but still would like some notice to get affordable train tickets. Also my boss isn't exactly happy that I may or may not be available for work for several days when we're busy with Christmas parties and I can't even tell her until maybe a week before.

I suppose it's the only way they can do it to meet their deadlines though, and they do have to have the college rooms free for applicants to stay over for their interviews too.

it's really annoying that they leave it such short notice - it's awkward enough trying to work school/work round a holiday without you only knowing about that holiday only a week before hand. luckily my interviews (if i get them) will start on a monday, so hopefully i'll be able to travel down on sunday.
Original post by KingMessi
The old thread was impressive. :holmes: Did we beat the Cambridge thread? :tongue:

On topic, need to do the end of my ELAT practice today but am so busy and so tired. :yawn:

Ugh, 'end'? I need to begin my ELAT practice! There's a load more past papers up on the website, so that's my Saturday in a nutshell. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure we beat the Cambridge thread. :cool:
Good luck with beating Cambridge with this thread:biggrin::biggrin:
426 posts, daymn, i really post a bit too much :tongue:
Reply 129
Question, is it our subject tutors at the given college that are going to interview us? Because 2/3 Biology tutors at St Hilda's are Greek, and so am I! (At least on paper)
Original post by ReBee
Question, is it our subject tutors at the given college that are going to interview us? Because 2/3 Biology tutors at St Hilda's are Greek, and so am I! (At least on paper)

Kalimera !!!!
Original post by ReBee

Original post by ReBee
Yep :smile: I suppose there's a small chance you'll have only one interview at St Hilda's, and it will only have one tutor there, and it'll be the one who isn't Greek... but that's unlikely!
It's a new dawn! Though I still can't work out how we managed to get to the end of the thread before it's even November.

Dave Gorman is a legend. Have you read all his books?

How strange, it wasn't me who posted that. You've got the wrong maths geek.

Welcome back! We've missed you :frown:

Thank you! I wasn't really aware I'd gone away, but I suppose I haven't been posting as much as some :tongue: I have been very busy IRL.

So, an interesting discussion: Do you all think it's better to be rejected pre-interview or post-interview? Obviously post-interview has the honour factor, but if you go and fall in love even more, it would make the rejection harder. Which of the two would you rather have happen to you?
Reply 133
Yep :smile: I suppose there's a small chance you'll have only one interview at St Hilda's, and it will only have one tutor there, and it'll be the one who isn't Greek... but that's unlikely!

I suppose if that small chance plays out, then there's a high chance someone *cough* no names mentioned *cough* will be suing me for grievous bodily harm. :biggrin:
Just kidding, either way, I don't think they'll be biased in my favour. :tongue:
Original post by anyone_can_fly

So, an interesting discussion: Do you all think it's better to be rejected pre-interview or post-interview? Obviously post-interview has the honour factor, but if you go and fall in love even more, it would make the rejection harder. Which of the two would you rather have happen to you?

Definitely post-interview. Being interviewed itself is a pretty good achievement in most subjects and you do get the 'honour' :wink: Pre-interview rejection in something like Classics where they interview 97% of applicants is just insulting...
How strange, it wasn't me who posted that. You've got the wrong maths geek.
Oops's it was Brand New Eyes I think... my mind was wandering when I typed that (it's not very easy to quote from the old thread!)

Definitely post-interview. If I got rejected pre-interview I'd feel that I hadn't had a proper chance to show myself and that I should have worked harder for the MAT, at my PS, etc). I've already wasted enough of my life on Oxford related things (this thread for example!) a few more weeks wouldn't hurt :tongue:
Original post by Grenville
Definitely post-interview. Being interviewed itself is a pretty good achievement in most subjects and you do get the 'honour' :wink: Pre-interview rejection in something like Classics where they interview 97% of applicants is just insulting...

I think I agree. But on the other hand, you'd probably get over a pre-interview rejection faster.
Reply 137
Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic
Ugh, 'end'? I need to begin my ELAT practice! There's a load more past papers up on the website, so that's my Saturday in a nutshell. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure we beat the Cambridge thread. :cool:

Ditto. Well sort of. Need to get out of the habit of leaving things so late like...

And rejection post-interview has the added advantage of being pretty much on Christmas, so you hopefully be able to get over it pretty fast...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by elfrench
In the ELAT you get six unseen texts on the same theme (the sample paper is all themed around fathers, and the texts range from prose, poetry, letters etc.) and you have to compare two or three of the texts in quote: 'a way you find interesting'. basically an essay on close reading but with no question to actually answer.......

Sounds quite interesting, so you basically get to write what you feel works with the texts, one problem I had with a level English was sometimes I felt like I was forcing the texts to fit to the questions I was set and scraping the barrel a bit!
Reply 139
oh my god, i leave to sleep and everything's completely moved! *cry*

in other news.. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH ELAT PAPERS, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO UNTIL WEDNESDAY?! eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
double other news.. does anyone else get up at 11.30 like me haha? :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending