The Student Room Group

Afghanistan: Suicide attack kills 13 US troops

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nayred
What do you mean?

Some people will have to perform administation roles, give evidence that SP's son was given such a role because of who is mother is.
Reply 41
Original post by doggyfizzel
You ever wonder why there are so many civilian casualties?

because Muslims continue to blow themselves up in markets, in front of police stations etc:smile:
Original post by Nayred
A Nato spokesman said the attacker detonated a car filled with explosives.

The attack, in the Darulaman area, west of Kabul, also killed three Afghan civilians and a police officer.

The Taliban has admitted carrying out the attack - one of the worst ground attacks against foreign troops since the beginning of the war. Such attacks are rare in heavily-guarded Kabul.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-15504922

I don't know if anyone feels the same but I don't have any sympathy for NATO troops anymore, even if they are killed. Why? They KILL people, including children. What's the difference between bombing someone and shooting them if you kill them? I would have more respect for NATO troops (notice I don't say "our" because they are not ours anymore) if they went up close to a 5-year-old "terrorist" and yanked a knife in his/her neck, instead of playing video games and dropping bombs and toxic substances on innocents. If they really defended freedom and democracy, they would overthrow the evil clique that uses their lives for business and corporate interests.

As Henry Kissinger said about military men, they are nothing but "dumb, stupid animals to be used' as pawns for foreign policy."

Thoughts?

You do realise your cute little pie chart doesn't take into account civi's killed by insurgents right?
Original post by JohnC2211

You do realise your cute little pie chart doesn't take into account civi's killed by insurgents right?

It doesn't imply they were caused by coalition troops. All it says is 'civilian casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan'. In the same way, not all troop deaths are caused by insurgents, many have been killed by friendly fire for example.
Original post by Nayred
There are good military men out there and I'm sure you are one of them. I strongly dislike Kissinger because he is "one of them" but his infamous quote is all too true when it comes to the "War on Terror".

You bring up an excellent point that soldiers look for employment in the military because they can't find jobs elsewhere. But why is that? Who controls the economy? The bankers do. And they are the same criminals that control the government who in turn sends you to war to fight for their business and corporate interests.

Not everything is ruthless in the corporate world. Why don't soldiers volunteer to feed and shelter the people in need if they are really concerned about "humanitarianism" instead of bombing them to pieces?

The military is becoming more and more of a dangerous place. International resentment for NATO is increasing. People at home are comparing NATO to Nazis. People are sacrificing their lives just to kill people like you. How can you fight a war on terror if millions are willing to sacrifice their lives to kill you? It's a sad situation but that's just life. This is nothing new to humanity. Soldiers are just lemmings in truest form and do anything authority tells them to do.

Because then they wouldn't get paid?
Original post by CombineHarvester
It doesn't imply they were caused by coalition troops. All it says is 'civilian casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan'. In the same way, not all troop deaths are caused by insurgents, many have been killed by friendly fire for example.

This is valid, but by the OP you can sort of ascertain that he is biased towards NATO forces killing civilians. He seems to totally ignore the fact that this very attack killed 3 civilians and a police officer as well as the US troops.
Reply 46
Original post by PendulumBoB
Some people will have to perform administation roles, give evidence that SP's son was given such a role because of who is mother is.

http://tnjn.com/2008/sep/13/track-palin-deploys-to-iraq-am/

A soldier said this after meeting Track Palin:

"Ok, I was there in Iraq when he showed up. I talked to some of the guys in his unit. The guy may have been in Iraq, but do you honestly think that he was in harm way. He was the Sergeant Major's driver, and probably never left the FOB. To put it in lamens terms, while guys like me are actually outside the wire in the action, guys like him are chilling out on a large military base where the worst thing they have to worry about is burning their mouth on their White Chocolate Mocca. He might as well have been in Kuwait."

People do have to play administrative roles. It doesn't mean they are any less brave but in general, they are less likely to be harmed.
Original post by Nayred
There are good military men out there and I'm sure you are one of them. I strongly dislike Kissinger because he is "one of them" but his infamous quote is all too true when it comes to the "War on Terror".

You bring up an excellent point that soldiers look for employment in the military because they can't find jobs elsewhere. But why is that? Who controls the economy? The bankers do. And they are the same criminals that control the government who in turn sends you to war to fight for their business and corporate interests.

Not everything is ruthless in the corporate world. Why don't soldiers volunteer to feed and shelter the people in need if they are really concerned about "humanitarianism" instead of bombing them to pieces?

The military is becoming more and more of a dangerous place. International resentment for NATO is increasing. People at home are comparing NATO to Nazis. People are sacrificing their lives just to kill people like you. How can you fight a war on terror if millions are willing to sacrifice their lives to kill you? It's a sad situation but that's just life. This is nothing new to humanity. Soldiers are just lemmings in truest form and do anything authority tells them to do.

To be honest removing a dictator who killed 2 million people was probably a bigger service than volunteering at a homeless shelter.
Original post by Nayred
http://tnjn.com/2008/sep/13/track-palin-deploys-to-iraq-am/

A soldier said this after meeting Track Palin:

"Ok, I was there in Iraq when he showed up. I talked to some of the guys in his unit. The guy may have been in Iraq, but do you honestly think that he was in harm way. He was the Sergeant Major's driver, and probably never left the FOB. To put it in lamens terms, while guys like me are actually outside the wire in the action, guys like him are chilling out on a large military base where the worst thing they have to worry about is burning their mouth on their White Chocolate Mocca. He might as well have been in Kuwait."

People do have to play administrative roles. It doesn't mean they are any less brave but in general, they are less likely to be harmed.

I totally agree, but until you can give evidence that his treatment was because of his parentage rather than chance or merit the debate can go nowhere.
Reply 49
Because then they wouldn't get paid?

Because our economy is insufficient and unproductive. We could make a real economy out of that. Instead of invading countries for oil so business and corporations can benefit and enrich the super rich capitalists, we could feed and create a better and more green world. It is possible to feed everyone. The only reason why starving people are not fed is because they don't have the money to buy it! Nature didn't just make them like that. I know it sounds a bit utopian but it's possible. And of course there's the problem with limited resources and overpopulation but that can be solved.

To be honest removing a dictator who killed 2 million people was probably a bigger service than volunteering at a homeless shelter.

He hadn't been able to carry out any acts of genocide in a long time since there was a no-fly zone over Iraq from 1991 onwards. In short, his military capability was non-existent in most of Iraq (in the areas where Shi'as and Kurds lived).
Reply 51

Source for the death figure.

- Tens of thousands of Allied troops dead.
- Trillion dollar debt.
- Destabilisation of that region.
- Millions of Iraqi civilians dead.
- More terrorism and less security.
- Less freedom.
- Destruction of the environment.

Yeah, removing a dictator that was happy to do oil deals with us was so worth the aforementioned, in contrast to actually helping people in need... Too bad Saddam Hussein defied Israel, the Rothschilds gave him a taste of their globalistic agenda to destroy any sovereign nation that threatens their power.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52

I didn't deny T-ros' claims. :dontknow:

I just pointed out that the onus was on him to provide a source.
Reply 53
I totally agree, but until you can give evidence that his treatment was because of his parentage rather than chance or merit the debate can go nowhere.

When you are a child of a government official, you get preferential treatment as the article I gave you suggested. I don't know what "evidence" you are asking for? Do you want me to give you a recorded tape of Sarah Palin making sure her son gets preferential treatment? :confused:
Reply 54
Original post by ofssinfoxes
I am a soldier at the moment... a sergeant in an infantry battalion, to be exact (but of course, not in the NATO force).

Just to share about myself: I wish to study veterinary medicince, so I've applied to different universities this year... anyway, that's besides the point.

Not all soldiers are "dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns." To be frank, a lot of people choose the military as their careers because it's a safe (not physically, but it's not as ruthless as the corporate world!) and reliable organization. When push comes to shove, people need to find jobs, and the military is a viable option that pays decently.

I'm not trying to defend the atrocities that have been committed in Afghanistan. Indeed, what the few soldiers did was not right, and they should be punished accordingly. Yet, just because a few have decided to forget about their morals doesn't mean that others need to pay back with their lives. All of these soldiers are precious sons and daughters to some families, and no matter how evil the organization or the politics behind them is, they're still people.

I don't know if the link's going to work, but here's a photo the came up on facebook quite recently. I've also attached the picture, just in case you're curious about it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=190971980975296&set=a.100920463313782.1395.100001874851661&type=1&theater

The caption reads: "While you carry a $450 purse, she carries a 45lb rucksack. While you shop with your girlfriends, she cleans her rifle with her Battle Buddies. When you wear heels, she wears her combat boots. Instead of the make-up that you wear on your face to make yourself look pretty, she paints her face for camoflauge. You kiss your husband and kids goodbye for the day, she kisses hers goodbye for the year. Don't forget about the Woman in Uniform"

I am sick of people getting all righteous and preachy about the military. If you wanted to join, fair enough, but don't expect any admiration from me, I owe you nothing.
Says the 17 year old who has never done anything. Show some respect to a man who has served, you snivelling little rat.
Reply 56
Original post by s.a.u
I am sick of people getting all righteous and preachy about the military. If you wanted to join, fair enough, but don't expect any admiration from me, I owe you nothing.

Nobody asks for special treatment. But a certain lack of animosity would be nice...

Original post by JustWonderingWhy
Says the 17 year old who has never done anything. Show some respect to a man who has served, you snivelling little rat.

Yeah, that's really helpful... :rolleyes:
Sorry about that - not particularly mature or constructive. I just got annoyed by a spotty a-level student being unnecessarily rude to the chap who posted.
Reply 58
Original post by JustWonderingWhy
Sorry about that - not particularly mature or constructive. I just got annoyed by a spotty a-level student being unnecessarily rude to the chap who posted.

Then - in all seriousness - leave TSR. It'll never stop. There's a thread every 2/3weeks which is designed for no other purpose than Armed Forces bashing. If you can't reign it in then don't get involved. There's enough misconceptions about the members of the Armed Forces in people's minds - we don't need people coming on here and spouting off is only fuelling their bile.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Then - in all seriousness - leave TSR. It'll never stop. There's a thread every 2/3weeks which is designed for no other purpose than Armed Forces bashing. If you can't reign it in then don't get involved. There's enough misconceptions about the members of the Armed Forces in people's minds - we don't need people coming on here and spouting off just fuelling their bile.

Thanks for the tips but I think I'll continue to post on TSR as I see fit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending