The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by punctuation

for a pessimist, you're pretty optimistic? :giggle:

Yep. That's me.
Nearly at 4000 posts... oh dear. We're a third of the way to MKIII
It's not that everyone's ideal is being the same thing: it is that there is an ideal form of everything out there, and that humans are constantly striving for it but never actually reaching it.

For example, a well-constructed table is supposedly 'perfect' in our world but Plato would say that, in fact, there is a better one one there, an ideal form of a table... :tongue: Another more sensical argument would be his argument for geometry (drawing from Pythagoras)
Hmmm okay. But if we will never reach it, it's not out there... :wink:

What's his argument for geometry? :colondollar:
Original post by fluteflute

I don't remember :colonhash: But I think he was for science and geometry as being 'perfect'. He also used perfect squares as an example, I think
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Haha, you know it's Liesl who leans in seductively :wink:
(8) Better beware, be canny and careful, baby you're on the breeze (8)

Aha, but it's true! Maybe... :blush:

in the innocent way?
I know, I'm just giving you hints :wink:

(8)Totally unprepared are you, to face a world of men (8)

Yes, in the innocent way... (mostly). How many pages have you written on?
Hmmm okay. But if we will never reach it, it's not out there... :wink:

That's why he argues it only exists in the mind of the creator, and everything else is just an imitation.

I second that question.
I don't remember :colonhash: But I think he was for science and geometry as being 'perfect'. He also used perfect squares as an example, I think
My college's centre number is a prime :biggrin: (I don't know if you have centre numbers in Canada... so that may not make sense to you). It's a twin prime too. And an irregular prime (whatever that means) according to Wolfram Alpha.

So, did he believe we haven't found perfect geometry and algebra, and are still striving for the perfect form of it?
My college's centre number is a prime :biggrin: (I don't know if you have centre numbers in Canada... so that may not make sense to you). It's a twin prime too. And an irregular prime (whatever that means) according to Wolfram Alpha.

So, did he believe we haven't found perfect geometry and algebra, and are still striving for the perfect form of it?

Oh we have centre numbers too... mine is CA009... I don't understand the logic of it as we supposedly only have two centres in Canada.

:iiam:

Wolfram Alpha :woo:

And I can't remember, ask BNE :tongue:
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Ah maybs i just wasn't clear :h:

Plato is one weird cookie. I mean, what with the cave, his forms, slavery, and philosophy kings :fuhrer:

You learn about him in Greek/Latin/Class Civ?

nah just by reading :colonhash:

but most classics degrees (and all the ones I've applied to) include philo modules :woo: :woo: :woo:
Original post by medbh4805
nah just by reading :colonhash:

but most classics degrees (and all the ones I've applied to) include philo modules :woo: :woo: :woo:

:eek: you've read him in Greek then?

I am jealous :frown:
A perfect form of cheese? :rolleyes: :wink:

That idea doesn't particularly appeal to me, diversity is the spice of life... (or maybe I'm missing the point)

Plato would say there is :sexface:

It's not an idea I agree with tbh :ninja: Aristotle criticises it heavily, and he was Plato's student.

Mmm we are.... :colondollar:

indeed :colonhash:
Wolfram Alpha :woo:
More like :party:
Plato would say there is :sexface:

It's not an idea I agree with tbh :ninja: Aristotle criticises it heavily, and he was Plato's student.

Aristotle is stupid. :|

Or at least some of his views were highly sexist (e.g. women cannot reason and thus they must be dominated by men, etc.)
:eek: you've read him in Greek then?

I am jealous :frown:

Mainly in English translation (though I have some read some extracts in Greek), though I was given a Loeb edition of Thaeatus and Sophist (in Greek) at UNIQ which I keep meaning to get round to reading.....
Mainly in English translation (though I have some read some extracts in Greek), though I was given a Loeb edition of Thaeatus and Sophist (in Greek) at UNIQ which I keep meaning to get round to reading.....

Ooh. That sounds interesting...

Or at least some of his views were highly sexist (e.g. reason)

Yeah I know, he's terrible about women :rofl:

I'm currently reading the Metaphysics, which is rather more abstract though :s-smilie:
Ha, I wish Wolfram Alpha was around when I did Maths :P
Yeah I know, he's terrible about women :rofl:

I'm currently reading the Metaphysics, which is rather more abstract though :s-smilie:

Hm, interesting. How do you feel about metaphysics in general? I have some classmates who hate it with a passion, but I'm just indifferent

Don't mock Aristotle:naughty:
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
Don't mock Aristotle:naughty:

Why not? :fight:

Latest

Trending

Trending