The Student Room Group

Going to a metal concert, what to expect?

Basically, I'm going to a metal concert in about a week, which features the following bands: Machine Head, Bring Me The Horizon, Darkest Hour and Devildriver.

What I want to know is what to expect from 1. Mosh pits and 2. Walls of Death.

This is the FIRST metal concert I'm going to, so I have no experience of moshing at all. Just how intense are these? I feel I'm not going to leave in one piece but I don't want to be a coward and just try and avoid all the fun.

Does anybody have any experience of moshing? And if so, what happened to you, and more importantly how did you approach it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless you're about 5-15 rows from the back and in the middle there would be very little pushing and shoving. You might get the odd person unintentionally flicking their hair in your face though.
I went to my first metal concert with my mum (:biggrin:) and was fine, even though when the gig started we were just on the edge of the moshpit.
Reply 2
Well considering you have BMTH, expect a storm of pansy scenekids and emos, just flailing about in these stupid pathetic mosh pits, or getting thrown about like sacks of potatoes by the Machine Head fans in proper mosh pits.
Reply 3
A load of **** music.
Reply 4
Metal.
Reply 5
Original post by TheBBQ
Well considering you have BMTH, expect a storm of pansy scenekids and emos, just flailing about in these stupid pathetic mosh pits, or getting thrown about like sacks of potatoes by the Machine Head fans in proper mosh pits.

You are SO hardcore.

If you were an egg, you'd be proper hard boiled. Like an egg that you wouldn't even use an egg timer to boil, you'd just leave it on for like 300 years then come back and need like Thor's hammer to crack it open or something.

Man I could really go some scrambled eggs
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TheBBQ
Well considering you have BMTH, expect a storm of pansy scenekids and emos, just flailing about in these stupid pathetic mosh pits

Haha so true :tongue:

But seriously OP, you're unlikely to get dragged into a mosh pit if you don't want to be. As someone already said, they'll be at the front anyway. I've been to loads of metal gigs and have 99% of the time had to consciously "join" the mosh pits. If you're near one there'll be a bit of jostling, but you won't be forced to full-on mosh if you don't want.

As for walls of death, in my experience these never really happen except at outdoors gigs/festivals. If you're going to be inside, it just won't happen.
Reply 7
Original post by Pedrobear
You are SO hardcore.

If you were an egg, you'd be proper hard boiled. Like an egg that you wouldn't even use an egg timer to boil, you'd just leave it on for like 300 years then come back and need like Thor's hammer to crack it open or something.

Man I could really go some scrambled eggs

I'm not hardcore, I don't like moshpits myself, I rarely even go to concerts.. but I've been to a BMTH concert before, and I'm just describing what I saw with my very own eyes :wink:
Reply 8
Also, the vast majority of the mosh pits I've been in have been astonishingly good-natured. By which I mean, it's obviously very aggressive during the songs (that's the point :tongue: ) but afterwards everyone's cool- maybe even shaking hands and stuff. Also, whenever anyone's fallen over or anything, people stop and help them up. It's really not that scary.
Girders.
Original post by TheBBQ
I'm not hardcore, I don't like moshpits myself, I rarely even go to concerts.. but I've been to a BMTH concert before, and I'm just describing what I saw with my very own eyes :wink:

That's great mang, but it doesn't get me any closer to scrambled eggs.
Reply 11
Original post by TheBBQ

Don't forget the occasional overly dramatic emo scenester getting all weepy and throwing a tantrum for getting pushed out of the mosh pit. :P
Original post by Manitude

I went to my first metal concert with my mum (:biggrin:)

playa
Reply 13
Original post by + polarity -
playa

Friend bailed on me three days before gig - could not find someone to take the ticket. Plus I got a lift there and back for nothing :cool:
Reply 14
Unless you're about 5-15 rows from the back and in the middle there would be very little pushing and shoving. You might get the odd person unintentionally flicking their hair in your face though.
I went to my first metal concert with my mum (:biggrin:) and was fine, even though when the gig started we were just on the edge of the moshpit.

Well aren't you bloody adorable.
Friend bailed on me three days before gig - could not find someone to take the ticket. Plus I got a lift there and back for nothing :cool:

I've been to see Dragonforce, slayer, satyricon, mayhem and dark fortress with my dad. Would've seen anaal nathrakh too if they showed up!
Reply 16
friend of mine went to a slipknot concert coupla years back each guitarist got up on the speakers either side of the stage and then got everyone to stand either side of the concert hall so there was a huge gap in the middle and then got both halves to run at each other into a HUGE moshpit with everyone. sounded like a great time :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by ToH12
friend of mine went to a slipknot concert coupla years back each guitarist got up on the speakers either side of the stage and then got everyone to stand either side of the concert hall so there was a huge gap in the middle and then got both halves to run at each other into a HUGE moshpit with everyone. sounded like a great time :biggrin:

That's a wall of death :smile: Never actually been in one myself, sadly...
Reply 18
Original post by Medican
Well aren't you bloody adorable.

If you disagree with my post then it would be a better use of your time to explain why you think I'm wrong, or say nothing at all.
Reply 19
If you disagree with my post then it would be a better use of your time to explain why you think I'm wrong, or say nothing at all.

I wasn't disagreeing. I genuinely thought it was adorable that you took your mum to a heavy metal concert. I'm Crap at sensing internet sarcasm.

Quick Reply

Latest