The Student Room Group

Which medical schools require documentation of work exp/volunteering? (hours etc)

A list would be just perfect. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why? Are you going to lie about what work experience you have(n't) done?
I think Leeds / Nottingham / Kings do, not sure about others since those were places I considered applying to :redface:
Reply 3
I know Nottingham ask. Not sure about the rest.
Reply 4
St george's do and if they're considering making an offer, they will contact a random selection to verify further.
Hope you're not planning to lie! Medicine is a small world and your integrity could be laid bare at interview.
Reply 5
Original post by 1mum
St george's do and if they're considering making an offer, they will contact a random selection to verify further.
Hope you're not planning to lie! Medicine is a small world and your integrity could be laid bare at interview.

Ofcourse I'm not going to lie! I want to apply to St Georges, and want to know which others may want proof.
Reply 6
Original post by Last Chance
Ofcourse I'm not going to lie! I want to apply to St Georges, and want to know which others may want proof.

Then why does it matter, if you need documentation for St Georges then it doesn't matter where else needs it as you have it already prepared.
Reply 7
King's does for sure. I know this because I'm filling the work experience form in as I type this...

Sigh...

It's a pain to find the numbers and address of the places I had work experience with over 3-4 years ago...
Reply 8
Liverpool do.
Jeez can't we just tell the guy instead of accussing of lying :eek:

all he did was ask...
Reply 10
Original post by Boom533

all he did was ask...

Haha just what I was thinking :tongue:

Weird to think, you could write your PS without doing any work experience whatsoever (even though you would struggle a lot). Do you think some people do this and then apply to universities that don't ask?
Reply 11
Original post by Boom533

all he did was ask...

So I'd better get letters sorted. :redface:
Original post by erniiee

Weird to think, you could write your PS without doing any work experience whatsoever (even though you would struggle a lot). Do you think some people do this and then apply to universities that don't ask?

Probably, but they do search stuff up. I talked to an admissions tutor last year, and he saw two PS's and both said they were captain of the England U21's rugby squad...one guy was legit, other guy faked it :O bit of a stupid and long shotlie tbh, but it could work. not all tutors are going to go to the trouble of checking :/

I'm sure a lot of people ale their PS a bit to make it seem better. You'd be a fool not to. I'm not going to do stuff I haven't acutally done, but you can make it sound better than it actually is lol :P
Reply 13
Original post by Boom533
Probably, but they do search stuff up. I talked to an admissions tutor last year, and he saw two PS's and both said they were captain of the England U21's rugby squad...one guy was legit, other guy faked it :O bit of a stupid and long shotlie tbh, but it could work. not all tutors are going to go to the trouble of checking :/

I'm sure a lot of people ale their PS a bit to make it seem better. You'd be a fool not to. I'm not going to do stuff I haven't acutally done, but you can make it sound better than it actually is lol :P

Oh my, shame upon the guy that got clocked! He should have claimed to be the captain of something more obscure :tongue:

Yea I definitely will sugar coat mine! But I will avoid lying :tongue:
Reply 14
Aberdeen does
Reply 15
Original post by erniiee

Why not? The other option for someone without any work experience is to take a gap year and lose a year of their career. Taking a year off the end of their career stands to lose them a substantial amount of money, and hence there is quite an incentive to lie.
Reply 16
When people say that Nottingham ask, do you mean at interview or in that questionnaire we get sent? I know they ask for it in the questionnaire.
Reply 17
Liverpool does.
Reply 18
Original post by 123asd
Why not? The other option for someone without any work experience is to take a gap year and lose a year of their career. Taking a year off the end of their career stands to lose them a substantial amount of money, and hence there is quite an incentive to lie.

True, but in truth, a medical applicant that really did want to do medicine would have decided quite some time before - giving themselves enough time to arrange work experience/volunteering. Deciding last minute (6 weeks to the deadline for example) shows a lack of responsibility and proactive behaviour - qualities that the university would look for in an applicant I'm sure - in my opinion and I doubt universities would look upon such a person as an ideal candidate.

Although I'm sure you'd argue that some people may have not been able to arrange any volunteering/work experience whatsoever..
Reply 19
Original post by erniiee
True, but in truth, a medical applicant that really did want to do medicine would have decided quite some time before - giving themselves enough time to arrange work experience/volunteering. Deciding last minute (6 weeks to the deadline for example) shows a lack of responsibility and proactive behaviour - qualities that the university would look for in an applicant I'm sure - in my opinion and I doubt universities would look upon such a person as an ideal candidate.

Although I'm sure you'd argue that some people may have not been able to arrange any volunteering/work experience whatsoever..

This is true, though arguably its down to the applicant to market themselves as being the best possible bet, wether they are actually the best thing since sliced bread or not. Its inevitable that some will be less than honest in the process of doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending