The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by d123
I do this too :smile: It seemed to work though, I got good marks for seminar participation this year!

I never find out what marks I get for seminar participation :sigh:
Original post by yawn
They don't have to be awkard. Many societies embrace lulls in conversation because they don't feel the need to talk if there's nothing important to say....not something our society is good at, I'll agree.

Those silences can be a God-given opportunity to pause and reflect.:smile:

What GEG said really. I love intentional, reflective, silence - it's a powerful time. Awkward silences are just, well, awkward!

Christmas meal was good. Me and Tom are the only people still wearing our hats though...CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
Aagh! God is good!
Got a 19/20 on my second theology essay. Which is amazing because it was on something that I know much less about and is much more difficult for me to write about (the metaphysics of the incarnation) than my first. Especially amazing because I did the first draft late one evening, then went away for the weekend before it was due in (for thanksgiving) and only looked at it again (save an hour one evening) the day it was due in.

Conclusive proof that I don't ever need to study. Ever. :smile:
Original post by EEngWillow
What GEG said really. I love intentional, reflective, silence - it's a powerful time. Awkward silences are just, well, awkward!

Christmas meal was good. Me and Tom are the only people still wearing our hats though...CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Ha ha we've got flat crimbo meal this thurs!

Original post by JB Johnstone
Aagh! God is good!
Got a 19/20 on my second theology essay. Which is amazing because it was on something that I know much less about and is much more difficult for me to write about (the metaphysics of the incarnation) than my first. Especially amazing because I did the first draft late one evening, then went away for the weekend before it was due in (for thanksgiving) and only looked at it again (save an hour one evening) the day it was due in.

Conclusive proof that I don't ever need to study. Ever. :smile:

YAY well done. I wish I didn't need to study :frown:

Anyway, went down to doctors. Do indeed have a chest infection. Luckily only on inhaler rather than antibiotics :smile:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Ha ha we've got flat crimbo meal this thurs!

YAY well done. I wish I didn't need to study :frown:

Anyway, went down to doctors. Do indeed have a chest infection. Luckily only on inhaler rather than antibiotics :smile:

You know how after a large meal, especially at Christmas, the older-folk all end up sleeping while the kids continue to run around? Yeah. Our office right now - only without the kids. Still, I'm off shortly. Hopefully.

Luckily. Take Bex's advice, she seems to know her stuff :tongue:
You know how after a large meal, especially at Christmas, the older-folk all end up sleeping while the kids continue to run around? Yeah. Our office right now - only without the kids. Still, I'm off shortly. Hopefully.

Luckily. Take Bex's advice, she seems to know her stuff :tongue:

Awww I could do with a wee afternoon nap...might have one actually...

Shall do indeed :smile:
Awww I could do with a wee afternoon nap...might have one actually...

Shall do indeed :smile:

Napping is good for you :yep:
Just left work! Weeeeeeeeee! :woo:
Napping is good for you :yep:
Just left work! Weeeeeeeeee! :woo:

Probably shouldn't nap though...should work...
Reply 9388
Good silences are fine. Awkward silences are not. Like when a tutor asks a question, even if I don't know the answer I somehow start speaking to stop the awkward silence...

Oh yes, of course this sort of situation would amount to awkwardness.:blush: I bet they are far and few between though.

I assumed from your post that you found all lulls in conversation awkward, feeling the need to fill them with any chatter. It was this sort of conversation that I was referring to. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yawn
Oh yes, of course this sort of situation would amount to awkwardness.:blush: I bet they are far and few between though.

I assumed from your post that you found all lulls in conversation awkward, feeling the need to fill them with any chatter. It was this sort of conversation that I was referring to. :smile:

Ha ha in my Eng Lit tutor group there are more silences than people speaking...VERY awkward!

Nah, some silence is good silence :yep:
The Christian Union are doing a text a toastie event thing tonight.

I think I might text and ask how can I join them or try and think of a decent question when they deliver my toastie :colondollar:
Such a good subject :yep:
Glasgow is brilliant *cough best uni ever cough*

Trueeee then eat them all as a reward :smug:

LOL hehe are you from Scotland or no?
Probably shouldn't nap though...should work...

Work isn't good for you! :nah:
Original post by natty_d
The Christian Union are doing a text a toastie event thing tonight.

I think I might text and ask how can I join them or try and think of a decent question when they deliver my toastie :colondollar:

Sounds like a great plan :yep:

Original post by Millie_2951
LOL hehe are you from Scotland or no?

I'm 1/32nd Scottish... but no, I'm from southern England :getmecoat:
Work isn't good for you! :nah:

Had a nap. Still got splitting headache. Really gotta work now. Very much gonna fail tomorrow and thurs.
Had a nap. Still got splitting headache. Really gotta work now. Very much gonna fail tomorrow and thurs.

No you won't! :console:
No you won't! :console:

I might...
Oh and saw this, very useful :yep: although it annoys me that he refers to the Christian as the male, and the non Christian as female. Though I don't know context for talk so coulda been at male conference, but still.

I might...

You might, but you won't. You're going to amaze yourself with how much you've actually retained in the past few days! :jumphug:
You might, but you won't. You're going to amaze yourself with how much you've actually retained in the past few days! :jumphug:

I just feel ill though :frown: just wanna go to bed. But too much to do. Plus My Big Fat Gypsy Christmas is on tonight.

Latest

Trending

Trending