The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9640
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:rofl: about the Sophie Ellis-Bextor quotation :rofl: That's pretty cool that you stuck stuff in your MA dissertation for a dare. Did anyone notice or mention anything? My MA dissertation is on Glee fandom and cover singles and I want the title of each chapter to be a Glee song quote :yep:

I know it irritates at least one academic I know, but I do quite like it when I read a book or an article and the different sections are headed with some kind of themed music or poetic reference. I've seen it done very effectively with Dylan lyrics (wish I could remember the book to post a link) and think it's good if it's not too much of a stretch.

I doubt anyone noticed in my dissertation; my tutor isn't a rugby fan and I was very sly about how I inserted them:

...In 2 Corinthians 5:17, this difference is expressed in terms of a “new creation”: εἴ τις ἐν Χριστῷ, καινὴ κτίσις. This mythological language of new creation and union with Christ pervades Ephesians and is the key to understanding the emphasis on the Church as a genuine novum (see especially 2:5, 15 and 3:8–10). Since those in Christ have been “made alive together with Christ” (2:5), one can say that, with the resurrection of Christ, a new age has begun, of which the Church is the expression. ...

Paul’s vision here is of the world in union with Christ, and the means by which this is accomplished is via the church. A cosmos centred on and reunited in Christ is the big idea towards which the theology is oriented in Ephesians, but, far from being abstract or unqualified, this restoration finds concrete expression in the church, in the bringing together of a disunited humanity into one.
Original post by philjw
I know it irritates at least one academic I know, but I do quite like it when I read a book or an article and the different sections are headed with some kind of themed music or poetic reference. I've seen it done very effectively with Dylan lyrics (wish I could remember the book to post a link) and think it's good if it's not too much of a stretch.

I doubt anyone noticed in my dissertation; my tutor isn't a rugby fan and I was very sly about how I inserted them:

Ah that is quite subtle. Nicely done :awesome:

In my undergrad dissertation (on ABBA fandom), all the chapter headings were ABBA song lyrics :yep: Though some of them were a bit more obscure, in that they weren't songs on ABBA Gold :rofl:
Reply 9642

In my undergrad dissertation (on ABBA fandom), all the chapter headings were ABBA song lyrics :yep: Though some of them were a bit more obscure, in that they weren't songs on ABBA Gold :rofl:

That is excellent. The bar has been set!
Original post by philjw
That is excellent. The bar has been set!

Indeed! Though I fear I might have a harder time with Glee songs :s-smilie: All the more reason to watch my boxset though :awesome: For research purposes, of course :ninja:
Reply 9644

I think you are singularly the coolest person I know :biggrin: :cool:
Original post by Josiea
I think you are singularly the coolest person I know :biggrin: :cool:

Why thank you :awesome: :woo: :hugs:

I do my best :cool:
Reply 9646
These last few posts have made me even more determined to do my dissertation on Doctor Who.

Unless I drop Philosophy and do single honours History... I have no idea what to do there.
Original post by d123
These last few posts have made me even more determined to do my dissertation on Doctor Who.

Unless I drop Philosophy and do single honours History... I have no idea what to do there.

The history of time travel: case study, Doctor Who ? :p:
Reply 9648
The history of time travel: case study, Doctor Who ? :p:

PRSOM

That would be incredible.
Original post by d123
PRSOM

That would be incredible.

If you change to straight History, you should so do that. Or something similar! :yep:
Walked home in snow...was beautiful.

Makes up for awful club night. Not gonna go into it, long story, let's just say people change BIG TIME.
Original post by d123
EXAMS ARE OVER.

So happy.

I wrote about Doctor Who in one of them... only a little bit though, I nearly wrote an entire paragraph, then a further paragraph contrasting it to Star Wars, but in the end left it as a single sentence.

My friend put up on Facebook yesterday "Started writing interim report for placement (finally!). After a while, I realised "Once upon a time..." is probably not the best way to begin it. :|"

At this point, since I was having a slow day at work, I decided to reply - on my phone - with:

Spoiler

I was quite proud of it. My coursemate assures me he's both included that entire re-write of the opening crawl, and put me in his references to avoid plagiarism...

I've also began an essay on methods of electronically measuring time with the quote "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Walked home in snow...was beautiful.

Makes up for awful club night. Not gonna go into it, long story, let's just say people change BIG TIME.

:console: You can PM me if you want... :jumphug:

I'm glad to report that at present, there's no snow nor ice here. Wooooo

EDIT: It's only gone and started bloody snowing. Talk about speaking too soon...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9652
Original post by Josiea
Coincidence! Although it is of course the best :wink:

Naturally, how many other churches do you dance around in?
Original post by EEngWillow
My friend put up on Facebook yesterday "Started writing interim report for placement (finally!). After a while, I realised "Once upon a time..." is probably not the best way to begin it. :|"

At this point, since I was having a slow day at work, I decided to reply - on my phone - with:

Spoiler

I was quite proud of it. My coursemate assures me he's both included that entire re-write of the opening crawl, and put me in his references to avoid plagiarism...

I've also began an essay on methods of electronically measuring time with the quote "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

:console: You can PM me if you want... :jumphug:

I'm glad to report that at present, there's no snow nor ice here. Wooooo

EDIT: It's only gone and started bloody snowing. Talk about speaking too soon...

:rofl:

Ha ha the PM would just be a long rant which probably makes no sense though.

Rejoice in the snow!
So Christopher Hitchens died.
Let's all be praying for his family and friends. :smile:
Reply 9655
Original post by JB Johnstone
So Christopher Hitchens died.
Let's all be praying for his family and friends. :smile:

Definitely.

One of the things I appreciated about Christopher Hitchens' writing was that he seemed to make a genuine effort to understand the religious ideas and positions he argued against. Even if I disagree with most of what he was arguing for, I found I could respect the way in which he argued, and I think there's something there for us to admire about him.

I'm reminded particularly of my reaction when reading his Letters to a Young Contrarian where he argues (in passing) that Christianity is immoral because even the worst sinners and criminals can be completely and unconditionally forgiven. I thought, wow! this guy has actually understood what it means to be saved by grace through Christ! He rejected it, as it didn't fit with his idea of justice, but I was surprised and pleased to find an atheist whose idea of Christianity went beyond parodying it as an old-fashioned, legalistic guilt trip.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
:rofl:

Ha ha the PM would just be a long rant which probably makes no sense though.

Rejoice in the snow!

Glad it amused.

Well the offer is still open if you do feel like it. Having someone to rant at can be very important. :yep: :console:
Reply 9657
Original post by eengwillow
my friend put up on facebook yesterday "started writing interim report for placement (finally!). After a while, i realised "once upon a time..." is probably not the best way to begin it. :|"

at this point, since i was having a slow day at work, i decided to reply - on my phone - with:

Spoiler

i was quite proud of it. My coursemate assures me he's both included that entire re-write of the opening crawl, and put me in his references to avoid plagiarism...

I've also began an essay on methods of electronically measuring time with the quote "people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... Time-y wimey... Stuff."

prsom

:d

hmm. for some reason capital letters aren't coming up properly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by philjw
Definitely.

One of the things I appreciated about Christopher Hitchens' writing was that he seemed to make a genuine effort to understand the religious ideas and positions he argued against. Even if I disagree with most of what he was arguing for, I found I could respect the way in which he argued, and I think there's something there for us to admire about him.

I'm reminded particularly of my reaction when reading his Letters to a Young Contrarian where he argues (in passing) that Christianity is immoral because even the worst sinners and criminals can be completely and unconditionally forgiven. I thought, wow! this guy has actually understood what it means to be saved by grace through Christ! He rejected it, as it didn't fit with his idea of justice, but I was surprised and pleased to find an atheist whose idea of Christianity went beyond parodying it as an old-fashioned, legalistic guilt trip.

I was thinking about your last point the other day. I remember something that one of my greatest mentors once said, that if we preach grace correctly then we should be charged with that idea of immorality/why can't people just keep on sinning then? (Romans 6, for example).

That's pretty much the exact thing that one of my hindu friends said to me after a good lengthy gospel discussion. I can't claim to understand it, but I love 1 John 1:9 - if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us.
Original post by EEngWillow
Glad it amused.

Well the offer is still open if you do feel like it. Having someone to rant at can be very important. :yep: :console:

Ha ha I might do later. I just wish people made sense :s

Original post by d123
prsom

:d

hmm. for some reason capital letters aren't coming up properly.

If a message is all capitals it goes to lower case, stops internet shouting lol

Latest

Trending

Trending