The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6700
Original post by ALExM2442
Im facing the same issue (though I might b able to store stuff at n aunts in the UK, so I might get out the easy way haha) and from what Ive read its just best to bite the bullet and pay to store your things over the summer. I would think itd be too much of a hassle to move things other than some clothes and things...

I'm an EU student and I'll have my things stored over the summer, many people do this. There are a few companies you can choose from, too.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 6701
Original post by hayheyley
There's a Lidl??? Where is it?

Ah!! Yes sorry, I did mean Aldi. :tongue: It's a good thing this is the last week, because my brain has officially stopped working... :s-smilie:
Having just been rejected by Durham for English - possibly on the basis of GCSEs - I was wondering if anybody knew whether St Andrews make a great deal of use of them as admissions criteria for English? Moreso than, say, the PS? I'm terrified I'm going to have to go to my 4th choice which, despite being pretty prestigious, I can't really get myself excited about...
Original post by LeSacMagique
Having just been rejected by Durham for English - possibly on the basis of GCSEs - I was wondering if anybody knew whether St Andrews make a great deal of use of them as admissions criteria for English? Moreso than, say, the PS? I'm terrified I'm going to have to go to my 4th choice which, despite being pretty prestigious, I can't really get myself excited about...

Sugar, think it was me who accidentally negged your post. Was texting and looked up at the screen and I had accidentally negged the post due to the sensitive cursor thingy on my laptop, sorry :colondollar: Will make it up to you when I get the chance.

And AFAIK, St Andrews doesn't place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs in general, they put a lot of weighting on the PS.
Reply 6704
Original post by Ecosse_14
Sugar, think it was me who accidentally negged your post. Was texting and looked up at the screen and I had accidentally negged the post due to the sensitive cursor thingy on my laptop, sorry :colondollar: Will make it up to you when I get the chance.

And AFAIK, St Andrews doesn't place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs in general, they put a lot of weighting on the PS.

You need to pay more attention. Such a bad forum assistant.
Reply 6705

That's why I sometimes wonder what made them choose me. :wink:

I suppose I forgive you. I hope they do put a lot of stock in the PS because I think it's a lot more impressive than my GCSEs... :|
I got an unconditional offer a couple of months ago for St. Andrews to study IR and Econ (I'm an American, thats why I heard so early). Two days ago I got an offer from Yale. I'm still waiting on Oxford and LSE in the UK, and a bunch of other schools in the US. I visited St. Andrews, though, and I really liked it there (also I have dual citizenship, so its about a third the price). Does anyone have any advice on what school I should choose?
Original post by sinohellenic
I got an unconditional offer a couple of months ago for St. Andrews to study IR and Econ (I'm an American, thats why I heard so early). Two days ago I got an offer from Yale. I'm still waiting on Oxford and LSE in the UK, and a bunch of other schools in the US. I visited St. Andrews, though, and I really liked it there (also I have dual citizenship, so its about a third the price). Does anyone have any advice on what school I should choose?

st andrews is amazing in so many ways but YALE FOR GODS SAKE! well done :smile:

I'd say if you got an offer from oxford it would be Yale v Oxford. It just depends where/what you want to study really, all the unis you applied to are really amazing:eek:

No one can really answer that for you properly. It's up to you which degree structure you prefer, subject content of your courses, flexibility, etc. All are fantastic unis, so it really boils down to UK/USA and then degree content from there. Good luck and well done on they offers!
Are there gyms in the dorms at St. Andrews?
Are there squash courts in St. Andrews?
Reply 6713
Original post by DisappearLikeSmoke
Are there gyms in the dorms at St. Andrews?

nope. Uni hall is right beside the sports centre though.
New Hall is also pretty close.
Are there squash courts in St. Andrews?

Currently only two university squash courts in the sports centre. There are also a couple out in the public East Sands Leisure centre.
Reply 6715

Hi can anyone please give me a glimpse of what it's like to live in St. Andrews?
I've already got an offer and I'm undecided as to whether or not I should go...
I've read student reviews and some say they loved it so much, but some have hated it and they ended up moving to London :s-smilie:
What is it like in terms of internatonality as well? I heard that there are a ton of American students (not that its a bad thing..)? :/
And nightlife? University should be a partytime in our lives...does St.Andrews live up to that?? thank youuuuu
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aerobti

Hi can anyone please give me a glimpse of what it's like to live in St. Andrews?
I've read student reviews and some say they loved it so much, but some have hated it and they ended up moving to London :s-smilie:
What is it like in terms of internatonality as well? I heard that there are a ton of American students (not that its a bad thing..)? :/
And nightlife? University should be a partytime in our lives...does St.Andrews live up to that?? thank youuuuu

St Andrews is a very international university. Roughly, one third of students are Scottish, one third are RUK/EU and one third are international (a large proportion of these being American). As for nightlife, try searching this thread/forum for loads of different answers to that question as it's been discussed many many times. Hope you find your answer :smile:
Reply 6717
Original post by aerobti

I'm not going to lie. St Andrews isn't for everyone. I know of a few people who have left for London but at the same time, I have several friends who have went to uni in London (LSE, UCL and KCL) who hated London and ended up dropping out. It depends what sort of person you are. There are loads of students who adore St Andrews.

St Andrews is a very international univeristy and you meet people from all over the world. as Ecosse_14 said it's 1/3 scottish, 1/3 UK/EU, 1/3 international. It's one of the most international univerisites in the UK.

As far as nightlife, St Andrews doesn't have lots of clubs but it has so many pubs meaning you can have a great night in lots of places without spending lots of money.
There are also lots and lots of house parties and I have so many great nights out in St Andrews. Search through this forum and you'll find lots of answers to this.
Reply 6718
Are there many students there who aren't really into the whole drinking/partying scene? or would that be weird there?
Reply 6719
Original post by alliys
Are there many students there who aren't really into the whole drinking/partying scene? or would that be weird there?

Don't worry. There are quite a few who aren't the party/drinking/passing out type. :wink: I'm not. And I know quite a few people who aren't as well. And, if you already know about things like Raisin Weekend, you don't need to take part in it at all. Or you can, but manage to find parents who don't do the alcohol etc.

I hope that helps. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending