The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F322 Chains, Energy and Resources Thu 19 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

For the "why do CFCs still exist" question, I put they stay in the atmosphere for millions of years plus people still use them in fridges etc.

Is that right?
Bit about decreasing temp with Boltzmann was a bit tricky. I drew another curve which had an earlier and higher peak.
Reply 462
Original post by otrivine
the one on calculatiing the question on enthalpy energy released thing for the last part c) did u get -134

Why is it minus
Original post by Eternal Rest
For the "why do CFCs still exist" question, I put they stay in the atmosphere for millions of years plus people still use them in fridges etc.

Is that right?

I put that, but I also said we're still using HCFC's. It asked for 2 reasons.
CopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopperCopper
Original post by holahola
Why is it minus

it was minus cause 19-32 something everyone got -134?
Reply 466
Original post by holahola
Why is it minus

its cause it was an exothermic reaction, and exothermic reactions release enery, hence the increase in temperature
Reply 467
Original post by faz_341
679 + ? = -184
so ? equals 862
since there is 2hcl divide by two = 431.5

when you're doing that algebra:

you would have to put a negative sign infront of 431.5 for that to work:

-836 + 679 = - 184

The bond enthalpy would be positive so it would have to be during the hess's law calculation that you switch the sign.

I switched the sign of the 679 instead.

so: x - 679 = -184

x= 495

then divide by 2 and get 247.5 ....

So I guess it all depends which part of the calculation you reverse the sign of...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dee11
its cause it was an exothermic reaction, and exothermic reactions release enery, hence the increase in temperature

hi :wink: how are you for the question suggest why HFCL4 one cant remeber the compound bt it said why used in aerosol thing that question? i wrote cause it does not deplete the ozone layer?
Reply 469
I totally forgot the definition for sterioisomers

what did people get for identifying compond J using the infared spectum ques?
Reply 470
hi :wink: how are you for the question suggest why HFCL4 one cant remeber the compound bt it said why used in aerosol thing that question? i wrote cause it does not deplete the ozone layer?

Heya, yeah im alright thanks :smile: and yourself?

oh for that question, if i think its the right one your asking about. I put that CLC'S were non toxic,

think it was to do with the properties of CFC's that made them ideal for use
Original post by newbie1993
but it is CFCS that deplete the ozone layer :s

no it was the question they gave us already 2 examples and they said give another reason? am i wrong and for the question second one i said insoluble in water and the last ne suggest why cfcs are still present even banned i talked about planes and cars ?
Original post by tomdodsworth
I said that it wasnt polar and couldn't dissolve...could be completely wrong lol :smile:

ooohhh...:s-smilie: i put that the c-f and c-cl bond are very polar and and so repel the OH electrons....crikeyy :s got that wrong :frown::frown:
Original post by nffc-b
And what did everyone get for why process one is better than process two?
I got because it has 100% atom economy so no waste
Can be done in lower pressure so it will cost less and be less of a hazard
And I wasnt too sure about the last one, but I put that it takes in carbon monoxide and converts it into usefull products and that was a poisonous gas and then i blagged on about the environment

PROCESS 2 USED CRUDE OIL! Non- renewable energy source, Methanol is renewable.
Original post by dee11
Heya, yeah im alright thanks :smile: and yourself?

oh for that question, if i think its the right one your asking about. I put that CLC'S were non toxic,

think it was to do with the properties of CFC's that made them ideal for use

yh i guessed on that and for the second part i said insoulbe in water ? and the suggest one at the end why still cfcs are present i said planes and cars cause everday people use them?
Original post by dee11
I totally forgot the definition for sterioisomers

what did people get for identifying compond J using the infared spectum ques?

I got an aldehyde with an Mr of 86.

I also saw it could be a ketone aswell, but I stuck with the aldehyde. I think it was like pentanal or something.

For the stereoisomer definition, I put they have the same structural formula but a different arrangement of atoms in space.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by andrewpeters
I put that, but I also said we're still using HCFC's. It asked for 2 reasons.

Yeah I put 2 reasons.
1st one was that they stay up there for millions of years
2nd one was that people still use them like in fridges.
Reply 477
yh i guessed on that and for the second part i said insoulbe in water ? and the suggest one at the end why still cfcs are present i said planes and cars cause everday people use them?

I wrote down that CFC'S stay in the atmosphere for a long period of time because they have low reactivity, and also because they arent broken down until they reach the stratosphere? I wasnt too sure on that ques :s-smilie:
Reply 478
Overall a very generous paper but I have a strong suspicion that the grade boundaries will be sky high...something like 80-85+ for an A. A couple of iffy questions like the catalyst one...I know catalyst doesn't affect the equilibrium but wouldn't it slow down the reverse reaction if there was no catalyst as a catalyst speeds up both forward and reverse reactions equally. Did anyone get propanal/C5H10O for the one where you had to analyse I.R and come up with a structure and for the CFC's no presence of a C-H bond....oh and that CFC's are non toxic as you are able to inhale them blah blah...Let me know if anyone got any similar answers please..haha :smile:
Original post by dee11
I wrote down that CFC'S stay in the atmosphere for a long period of time because they have low reactivity, and also because they arent broken down until they reach the stratosphere? I wasnt too sure on that ques :s-smilie:

how baout planes and cars? cause they are used everyday ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending