The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd like the odds on Gronk getting a TD or MVP. With the big hoorah over his injury, odds might be pretty good.
25/1 for Ochocinco first TD, not bad. Pats secret weapon?
Reply 3462
STUPID question, anyone know what time and channel (UK) pats are playing tonight?!
Original post by RinniieX
STUPID question, anyone know what time and channel (UK) pats are playing tonight?!

BBC1 and SkySports HD1

Kickoff is 11:30 PM, coverage will start at 10:30
BBC One, programme starts at 10.55pm :biggrin:
I'm SO excited - sat in my Brady shirt all afternoon.. Come on Pats :smile:
Reply 3465
Original post by fudgesundae
BBC1 and SkySports HD1

Kickoff is 11:30 PM, coverage will start at 10:30

FABBBULOUS! you beauty! :biggrin: better go get the beer in!
I've just realized I left my Pats jersey at home!! I'm really upset, but I shall be wearing lots of navy, white and red to make up for it!
I don't really see how a receiver will win the MVP award in either of these teams. It'll either be a quarterback or MAYBE but probably not a defensive player.. maybe JPP?
Original post by The Troll Toll
I don't really see how a receiver will win the MVP award in either of these teams. It'll either be a quarterback or MAYBE but probably not a defensive player.. maybe JPP?

Cant see Welker winning it. Although I can see Cruz winning it if he gets 150+ yards with 1 huge play. Can also see Gronk getting it over Brady if he has another one of those 3TD performances with some big plays (unlikely with the injury). Most likely defender has to be JPP, for NE most likely Wilfork, but thats a long shot.

Honestly though I agree. Brady or Eli must be overwhelming favourites for MVP.

Cant see Welker winning it. Although I can see Cruz winning it if he gets 150+ yards with 1 huge play. Can also see Gronk getting it over Brady if he has another one of those 3TD performances with some big plays (unlikely with the injury). Most likely defender has to be JPP, for NE most likely Wilfork, but thats a long shot.

Honestly though I agree. Brady or Eli must be overwhelming favourites for MVP.

150 yards isn't enough, because then the other receivers will be getting about 150 yards between them. If the giants pass for less than 250 yards they won't win, so a Patriot will get it.

Both teams need to use all their weapons to win, especially the Pats. That's why Gronk won't win it either.
I dont really follow american football, but i may watch this one. Which channel? BBC or Sky Sports? (I have both)

Also, lots of people on here support the patriots, is it because it has "england" in it or is there any other reason for it?
Reply 3471
On both but I prefer sky sports coverage, and probably lots of pats fans because they were very successful a few years ago!
Original post by desijut
Also, lots of people on here support the patriots, is it because it has "england" in it or is there any other reason for it?

Because in the 21st century it's OK to be gay :yy:
Original post by The Troll Toll

A mate tipped JPP for me

£1 on JPP @ 33/1

£5 on gronkowski @ 10/1

£5 on welker @ 12/1

£10 on ridley @ 100/1

feeling it :biggrin: sod brady and manning
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stevo112
A mate tipped JPP for me

£1 on JPP @ 33/1

£5 on gronkowski @ 10/1

£5 on welker @ 12/1

£10 on ridley @ 100/1

feeling it :biggrin: sod brady and manning

Worst £10 you have ever spent on Ridley, he'll barely get a snap. Probably would have got similar odds on Edelman, Wilfork or Arrington which would have been much better bets.

Anyone know the odds on Edelman to have a pick six, receiving TD and special teams TD? I would go for it. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Who are the favourites?

I watched last year and randomly chose Pittsburgh, so they're my team "for life"
Want New York to win (because I like New York City)
Original post by alexsong
On both but I prefer sky sports coverage, and probably lots of pats fans because they were very successful a few years ago!

This, and with Brady been playing very well still the last few years they always look like a contender and will do until he retires. At that point, they'll need a high calibre replacement quickly as it's undoubtedly a QB league.

That's why I'm excited for the possibilities if the Phins get Peyton Manning. Give anyone a healthy Peyton Manning and 9 times out of 10 they'll make the playoffs. If you have a top QB you can make the playoffs, a great defense/run game/special teams aren't strictly needed, but they obviously increase one's chances. If you have a pretty good QB (Ravens/49ers) and all 3 of those things, you can do well too. It's helped Big Ben in his early years too, but you could argue he's closer to elite now.
But generally I want rule changes so there are more ways for teams to gain playoff berths without necessarily having that top QB, like was a little bit more the case in the past - in other words if it were possible to even out more the effect of the passing game compared to the running game, it'd be more unpredictable.

Teams like the Browns haven't had a top QB in years (bar one surprise Derek Anderson playoff season), have had no longterm success and thus on places like here, little to no fans. That said, the balance of power shifts a lot more in the NFL than in say Football (soccer). Just over 10 years ago the Titans and Rams were dominant, and the Panthers made the SB in 2003/04, look where they've all been since. The same could happen with any of the teams in the playoffs ten years down the line. So you can glory support (if that's one's reason, of course I'm sure most here aren't, right?) but things can change quite quickly if that team's an elite QB reliant team and he retires, declines or goes down injured. So, at least that's something...
Worst £10 you have ever spent on Ridley, he'll barely get a snap. Probably would have got similar odds on Edelman, Wilfork or Arrington which would have been much better bets.

Anyone know the odds on Edelman to have a pick six, receiving TD and special teams TD? I would go for it. :tongue:

Probably... I'm new to this nfl lark.

My reasoning (whether correct or not!) was that ridley was dropped for 2 games previously for a fumble. I think this is a big game for him, and he is out to prove something.

But then again i'm not sure how the MVP is determined... Does it rely on the superbowl only or the whole season? If the whole season, i'm truly ****ed.
Original post by ieatcheeseyo
Who are the favourites?

I watched last year and randomly chose Pittsburgh, so they're my team "for life"
Want New York to win (because I like New York City)

Marginally the Giants are favourites according to a lot of people, but it's pretty close as you can't ever count out the Patriots.

I still think the Pats will win though, as no huddling and Brady getting the ball away quickly to Welker/Hernandez/Gronkowski (if fit) or a RB on short routes should somewhat neutralise the Giants' impressive pass rush. The bigger question is how well will the Giants offense do against the Pats defense. I think the Pats' defense is better than it was in the regular season and Bellichick as a defensive mind will scheme well and have prepared them well, plus I've heard the player lining up against Wilfork isn't the Giants' regular starter, so that could be a problem for New York and Eli Manning particularly there.

I really really hope I'm wrong though and that it'll turn out that what I've said is utter rubbish. Cmon Giants!
Original post by OxfordGoBrach
Marginally the Giants are favourites according to a lot of people, but it's pretty close as you can't ever count out the Patriots.

I still think the Pats will win though, as no huddling and Brady getting the ball away quickly to Welker/Hernandez/Gronkowski (if fit) or a RB on short routes should somewhat neutralise the Giants' impressive pass rush. The bigger question is how well will the Giants offense do against the Pats defense. I think the Pats' defense is better than it was in the regular season and Bellichick as a defensive mind will scheme well and have prepared them well, plus I've heard the player lining up against Wilfork isn't the Giants' regular starter, so that could be a problem for New York and Eli Manning particularly there.

I really really hope I'm wrong though and that it'll turn out that what I've said is utter rubbish. Cmon Giants!

I play american football, and have been watching for 2 years now... I still have no (advanced) Idea how the game works :L

But I just randomly chose Giants, so they have to win Lol

How old are you? Got school/uni/work later in the day?

Ive got school and Im gunna have pizza from like 11pm - 4am

Latest