The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Go for it! At my old school the head of sixth form loved receiving cards/ letters from past students saying how they're doing. I'm sure most teachers would appreciate it. :smile:
Reply 2
as long as they dont think you're a stalker it should be fine.
Reply 3
Go for it! When I was 9, going on 10, I had a brilliant teacher (she was over on an exchange) and even though I don't write as often as I used to, I still write, and she writes back. It sounds corny but she's the teacher that made an impression on me, and made me want to teach. At the end of the day, teachers love kids.... they don't teach because they hate them, so I'm sure your teacher would love to hear from you now and again.
My PE teacher is still keeping in touch with students he taught over 20 years ago!! Everytime his pupils leave he makes sure he has their email addresses so he can keep in touch and see how they're doing. He's retiring at the end of this year or next, but he's been a great teacher to me over the past two years and I will definitely keep in touch!
Reply 5
elvliz
what rae your views on teachers keeping in contact with old pupils?

It seems to me like if a particular teacher has influenced a pupil they should keep in contact.

I ask cos i'm leaving school this year and there is a particular teacher i want to stay in contact with because she's influenced and helped me a lot :smile:

Go for it!! :biggrin: I know exactly what you mean, I had the most amazing English teacher and even though she only stayed at our school for a year, she made an impression on me and has inspired me to also teach English. I email her frequently and we catch up on all the gossip :p: If they made an impression on you then stay in touch!!
Reply 6
thats good :smile: i think i'll miss my teacher as much as some of my friends lol! bet it's wierd after you've left school what do you call them... still miss/mrs/mr whatever?! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Yeah!

I get on so well with my 2 old music teachers. I have their numbers, home addresses, I go to their houses for the day etc. It's great.

I now call them by their real names.
elvliz
what rae your views on teachers keeping in contact with old pupils?

It seems to me like if a particular teacher has influenced a pupil they should keep in contact.

I ask cos i'm leaving school this year and there is a particular teacher i want to stay in contact with because she's influenced and helped me a lot :smile:

i think its nice to keep in touch and send e-mails of how ure doing and ask them about their life etc ... it must also be nice for them to hear from their ex students, i mean its always pleasant to know sum1 still cares about you after such a long time right?
hey, like you, im also leaving school this year and i really want to stay in touch with a couple of teachers cause they are great people who have indeed helped me soo much, not just academically but with personal problems as well and have been always there for me if i couldnt talk to my parents about something, id go to them.. The thing is, we, as students, think its ok but i dont know how teachers might think it.. they might think were a bit lame or stalky..!!
Reply 10
Yer, go for it - I am still in contact with my former Head of Year!
I recently went back into school to give a talk about university life and one of the teachers couldn't come to the talk to see me, so she bothered to ring up work to ask for my email and emailed me! So i think generally teachers want to see where their former students have gone and how they are doing.
I did one school placement with my old primary school teacher. It was good I had stayed in tough with her over the years, as this school is very popular with student teachers and I obviously asked early on, if I could come by. :biggrin:
Reply 13
alexandra
The thing is, we, as students, think its ok but i dont know how teachers might think it.. they might think were a bit lame or stalky..!!

exactly:confused: :smile: it's good to hear of all these people who've kept in touch with teachers though :smile:
Well, as a teacher myself, I can only say it is not lame or stalky at all
^ thats reassuring then! But what if an ex pupil contacts you and you didnt really like them, would you just ignore them?
I think it's just plain wrong for a pupil to contact a teacher, be it an ex or a current, outside of school, or vice versa...people got their own lives outside school...
sutol
I think it's just plain wrong for a pupil to contact a teacher, be it an ex or a current, outside of school, or vice versa...people got their own lives outside school...

Not outside of school, you can keep in touch with the teacher through the school. At leasts that's how I stayed in touch with my primary teacher. Nothing wrong with that.
And the teacher from my favorite placement school still sends xmas etc cards to me (with the kids). I think it's nice.

Oh, and one of my tutors from University (Dortmund) turned into a really good friend. She has been visiting me here in Berlin and we even went to Berlin together for some dissertation work. We are in regular email contact as well. Nothing wrong here either-
i dont think its *wrong* to stay in touch with teachers by email or actually meeting up with them outside school. It depends on the 2 individuals mostly cause its different in every circumstance. Personally i would love to stay in touch with a couple of my teachers but i dont want to seem like i was imposing myself on them.. or forcing them to reply.. Guess ill see soon enough :frown:
Reply 19
alexandra
i dont think its *wrong* to stay in touch with teachers by email or actually meeting up with them outside school. It depends on the 2 individuals mostly cause its different in every circumstance. Personally i would love to stay in touch with a couple of my teachers but i dont want to seem like i was imposing myself on them.. or forcing them to reply.. Guess ill see soon enough :frown:

i agree completely, and i'm in a very similar situation

i don't think it's *wrong* at all to stay in touch if it's a two way thing especially if a teacher has inspired, influenced and helped a student.

I agree that a teachers private life should be respected while a student-teacher relationship exists.

Latest

Trending

Trending