The Student Room Group

Sussex or Kent?

For psychology, but I'd still like your opinion on the uni in general if you don't study psychology.

So which uni? And give your reason, thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Kent is the better university for Psychology but only marginally; Sussex is overall the better university by quite a bit. However, the campus at Sussex apparantly isn't great and neither are the transport links, plus Kent is closer to London so I'd go for Kent... barely. The psychology department at Kent is more focused on SocialPsych and with Sussex more biological; so I'd go for whichever of those two course structures you'd prefer.
Reply 2
I'm going to Sussex next year, and my sister goes to Kent, so hopefully I can give you an unbiased opinion :smile:

In terms of course they're both very good. Sussex made the top 10 for Psyc this year, however i'll admit Kent's course seems well established and respected. one of my sister's flatmates at Kent studies Psychology and seems to really like it there :smile:

Student life at both seems great, but quite different. At Kent they have literally everything you need on campus (even a club, which is apparently dead nice) so you'd probably spend alot of time at the site, but Canterbury is on your doorstep if you need it. Sussex has a very green campus, but students seem to spend most of their time in town, as Brighton has AMAZING nightlife and lots to do.

Sussex is higher in terms of overall reputation, being top 20 wheras kent is around 30-40, but both are still solid institutions :smile:
I visited Kent last year with the intention of applying, however I found that Canterbury is so secluded, and that there is not much to do at all, other than on campus (which isn't great). I'd go for Sussex.
Original post by Jackal The
the campus at Sussex apparantly isn't great and neither are the transport links.

I graduated from Sussex and the campus is one of the best I've seen. It is utterly stunning and set on the beautiful Sussex downs (BBQs and picnics galore!), and has various shops, food outlets, bars... it really is self-sustaining, you wouldn't be bored if you never actually left the campus.

However, the city centre is only 4 miles away and buses leave every 5 minutes and run 24 hours a day (every 30 minutes in the night).

Going to Sussex was one of the best decisions of my life.

My other half, however, read at Kent and adored Canterbury to bits although I don't know that much about it as a place of study personally other than he greatly enjoyed his time there.
Original post by brightonlad89
I graduated from Sussex and the campus is one of the best I've seen. It is utterly stunning and set on the beautiful Sussex downs (BBQs and picnics galore!), and has various shops, food outlets, bars... it really is self-sustaining, you wouldn't be bored if you never actually left the campus.

However, the city centre is only 4 miles away and buses leave every 5 minutes and run 24 hours a day (every 30 minutes in the night).

Going to Sussex was one of the best decisions of my life.

My other half, however, read at Kent and adored Canterbury to bits although I don't know that much about it as a place of study personally other than he greatly enjoyed his time there.

Fair enough, I've never been. :tongue: I was just basing it on the opinions of two ex-students, so not exactly a wide range.
Reply 6
Thanks to all the replies! They've all been noted, I love the sound of a chilled out campus where you can just lay back and have picnics in the summer, which sounds like Sussex but I heard that Sussex is a massive party uni? I like clubbing but I couldn't go for more than every few weeks, :tongue:

Whereas Kent seem to have quite a quiet, more chilled feel to it?
Reply 7
Anyone else? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending