The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Still_Learning

Also, sorry if this is a really stupid question (I'm new here :colondollar:)....how do I get to the current medics subforum? I originally posted this is the university of oxford forum but it got moved here - can i move it back? Or do i have to re-post it somewhere else?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=356 Here. :smile:

& yeah, when I was going to the FHS option talks (which was a while ago :wink: ) some of them did say that if more people wanted to do it then they had space for they would select by relevant Part II paper scores... but I don't think it was needed!
Reply 121
a) Just for clarification, does Oxford look at actual UMS scores for Medicine (for international students)?

b) In the hypothetical situation that a student were to get a B in chemistry and apply for Oxford Medicine, would they be significantly disadvantaged/would they not look at their application at all?

Thanks!
Original post by WILL :)
a) Just for clarification, does Oxford look at actual UMS scores for Medicine (for international students)?

They don't look at A-level UMS scores, although if its an 'A-level equivalent' qualification i don't know what you have to submit.

[QUOTE=WILL [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];33704235]b) In the hypothetical situation that a student were to get a B in chemistry and apply for Oxford Medicine, would they be significantly disadvantaged/would they not look at their application at all?

Thanks!

They would look at the application, but it certainly would be a significant disadvantage. Especially given that you are international, where competition is incredible (168 applicants, 3 offers last year), such a weakness would probably be terminal, in all honesty.
Reply 123
Original post by nexttime
x

Thank you!
Thank you very much for all your help Elles and nexttime :smile:

And this forum is AMAZING...it seems that every question that any medical student could possibly have, has been answered on here. I have become dangerously addicted... :biggrin:
Original post by Ignoramus
Also the new 1st BM Part II mark scheme is up on Weblearn, extra marks being for (as well as good organisation): experimental evidence, clinical matters, integrative approach, perceptive and relevant discussion. :smile: I'm not sure how this translates in practice though...

Thanks for letting me know :smile:. I had a look at the mark scheme and it seems to be just as annoyingly vague as the one for first year....if they are going to provide us with the mark scheme, I really think they should make an effort to describe explicitly what constitutes a good essay, otherwise there is no point even putting up a mark scheme on there!
Reply 126
Ok, so in my GCSEs I got 5A*s and 6As. The A*s were in biology, chemistry, physics, science core, maths and philosophy&ethics. I really want to study medicine at oxford but I'm not sure whether I stand a decent chance or not as my results aren't as phenomenal as some other people's. I've heard some people say that you need to have at least 8a*s to even be considered and I've heard other people say gcse's don't matter. :confused:
Original post by PLT'
Ok, so in my GCSEs I got 5A*s and 6As. The A*s were in biology, chemistry, physics, science core, maths and philosophy&ethics. I really want to study medicine at oxford but I'm not sure whether I stand a decent chance or not as my results aren't as phenomenal as some other people's. I've heard some people say that you need to have at least 8a*s to even be considered and I've heard other people say gcse's don't matter. :confused:

The key info is here. To summarize, the average (mean) applicant had 73%A*, the average interviewee had 89%A* and the average offer holder had 91%A*. You have 45%.

Pre-interview criteria is GCSEs and BMAT alone, with some exception e.g. very low school average performance may gain you extra consideration. Oxford interviews about 33% of its applicants. Last year, about 86% of applicants had better GCSEs than you.

This is quite a hurdle to overcome, and although a fantastic BMAT may land you an interview, i personally feel your chances would be small and that you should not waste a space on the UCAS form with Oxford.
Reply 128
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Basically Oxford have asked me to submit a supplementary application form, which is fine, except they also ask for another personal statement. Does anyone know whether they want the same one as the UCAS one or a new one, specifically tailored to why I want to study the course at Oxford?

Thank you!
Hi, I just wanted to ask if Oxford send you the information about extra requirements like vaccinations, CRB check e.t.c., or do we have to find these things on the website ourselves?
Original post by confused dot com
Hi, I just wanted to ask if Oxford send you the information about extra requirements like vaccinations, CRB check e.t.c., or do we have to find these things on the website ourselves?

With the offer letter (or possibly after?) they will send you a load of forms. It will have info about Hep B, and a form to completed by your GP, and some other stuff i can't remember. Wait for that.
Original post by nexttime
With the offer letter (or possibly after?) they will send you a load of forms. It will have info about Hep B, and a form to completed by your GP, and some other stuff i can't remember. Wait for that.

Okay, thanks.
Reply 132
I got an offer through on the 16th December and have been wondering for a while who else will be going ( grades permitting :wink: )?
There is a Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/292994347403247/

Well done! :woo:
Reply 134
Thank you!!!
choose somewhere else unless you honestly really want to come whatever anyone says.
Original post by John Locke
choose somewhere else unless you honestly really want to come whatever anyone says.

Could you explain why you think that? I'm having quite a few doubts as it is :/
Reply 137
Hi
I want to do medicine at Oxford. I am currently doing AS level with 5 subjects. I got really good grades for Chemistry, Biology, Maths and further maths but not very good grade on Physics. So if I retake Physics will they consider me the same as the one who did not do any retakes or will my chances on Oxford will be quite less.
Reply 138
Original post by AS01
Hi
I want to do medicine at Oxford. I am currently doing AS level with 5 subjects. I got really good grades for Chemistry, Biology, Maths and further maths but not very good grade on Physics. So if I retake Physics will they consider me the same as the one who did not do any retakes or will my chances on Oxford will be quite less.

Oxford
University of Oxford, The Coordinator for Admissions, University of Oxford Medical School, Oxford, OX1 3RE, Tel: 01865 285783
admissions enquiries, general enquiries
UCAS Institution Code: O33 (OXF); UCAS Course Code: A100
Entrance Exam: BMAT
A-levels: Minimum of 3 subjects. Chemistry plus at least one of Biology, Physics or Maths required. Typical Offer AAA
Resit policy: "People who re-take their GCSEs or A-levels are qualified to apply to our course but will be in competition with a large number of candidates who passed at a high level at the first attempt. Candidates who are re-taking their A-levels will on average have a lower chance of being offered a place. Nevertheless, we recognize that students sometimes fail to achieve their potential on first attempt at school because of circumstances beyond their control."
GCSEs: Grade A minimum in Biology, Physics and Maths where not offered at A-level. A broad range of GCSEs including science and art subjects are expected. On average, applicants hold around 70% of GCSEs grades at A*.
IB: Chemistry and another science and/or math must be taken at HL. HL expectations are 766 and with a total score ranging between 38-40 points.

I think that means the whole A level though, I'm sure if you are just re-taking a module then that will be fine, however don't quote me on that because I'm not exactly sure :smile:
Reply 139
Original post by lsaul95
Oxford
University of Oxford, The Coordinator for Admissions, University of Oxford Medical School, Oxford, OX1 3RE, Tel: 01865 285783
admissions enquiries, general enquiries
UCAS Institution Code: O33 (OXF); UCAS Course Code: A100
Entrance Exam: BMAT
A-levels: Minimum of 3 subjects. Chemistry plus at least one of Biology, Physics or Maths required. Typical Offer AAA
Resit policy: "People who re-take their GCSEs or A-levels are qualified to apply to our course but will be in competition with a large number of candidates who passed at a high level at the first attempt. Candidates who are re-taking their A-levels will on average have a lower chance of being offered a place. Nevertheless, we recognize that students sometimes fail to achieve their potential on first attempt at school because of circumstances beyond their control."
GCSEs: Grade A minimum in Biology, Physics and Maths where not offered at A-level. A broad range of GCSEs including science and art subjects are expected. On average, applicants hold around 70% of GCSEs grades at A*.
IB: Chemistry and another science and/or math must be taken at HL. HL expectations are 766 and with a total score ranging between 38-40 points.

I think that means the whole A level though, I'm sure if you are just re-taking a module then that will be fine, however don't quote me on that because I'm not exactly sure :smile:

thanx that helped a lot. by the way the results that I got is of first module exam for physics. So i guess if i work really hard to get very high A on physics then it might pull me to average A and then I might drop Physics next year. Do you think that if I do so then I will not be considered as student who retook a module and my overall grade will be A on physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending