The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zosolobos0
Well yes, that was exactly what I meant. All I did was break it down! I'm not forbidding him from copulating with (and possibly marrying) a future child-bearing wife or using a surrogate, and almost every law in the world would allow him to do either or both.

The majority of people can do what they like -____-.

Ok...so then using a surrogate is about having a child. Not necessarily about lineage.

Only muslim heterosexual men who practice polygamy will take in second, third, fourth wives and not expect/want them to bear more lineages (I think). The wives are only there for sexual variety (for the men) and social mobility and stability (for the woman).

Okay, let me revise what I wrote.

'Way more reasons' from my personal research. The following responses were made by self-professed heterosexual men:

- LINEAGE
- have (or will accumulate) ASSETS
- religion ("will of God")
- convention (parents etc)
- social expectation/stigma.
- tax
- stability
- young love
- second mother and or house keeper

Marriage without kids (yet)

- yuppies (include young hollywood here), young upper middle class wasps.."someone to jetset with" (for now), etc.
- child/young brides (eg romanis)
- infertile wife (husband will divorce her/cheat/possibly agree to adopt. However if this was said just as he is about to propose I'm sure he would think twice)
- disabled partners
- instances of high discrepancy in social class, but not the conventional kind (poor woman, rich man). A hypothetical example would be rickshaw man and Emma Watson. Though I'm not sure. I will interview a bunch of them the next time I'm home and find out whether lineage/biological family would matter at all if Emma Watson agreed to marry them.
- not enough dinero yet
- my step/foster uncle number 1. 45 years old. Has a stable great paying job, looks very young for his age, hangs with the entertainment crowd back home, dates young tv star model women from back home. Decides he wants to have a kid (read: pressured to "settle down" by his family). Gets married. He will be expecting a kid soon
- my step/foster uncle number 2. 51 years old. Sowed his oats like George Clooney. Realises he actually wants a kid. Gets married with a nubile lower pedigree woman after being introduced to her through some religious place. Has a big wedding bash. Wife is infertile. He goes ballistic. Not sure of his current situation as he got whisked away for being violent. I haven't kept in touch with him since.

x Brad Pitt divorced Jen Aniston
x permanently sterilised man.. would rarely marry or even want a lineage (of any kind)
x Michael Jackson
x Hugh Jackman (assumed by most self-professed heterosexual men to be gay/unconventional). There is no way to know the essential details without kidnapping him and subjecting him to a lie detector. Regardless, very rare.
x Robert Downey Jr. 2nd marriage. 2nd kid
x Mel Gibson and Oksana (3rd wife?)

fictional:

x Romeo and Juliet (death, so can't possibly know.. they fall under "young love")
x Bones tv series (Brennan ended up married and having Booth's baby when she initially just wanted Booth's sperm or to possibly adopt any kid as she herself was fostered. She also did not believe in monogamy/marriage. Bisexual Angela ended up married having Hodgin's baby)

exceptional cases:

Chinese (and thai?) businessmen who forget to wear protection (or are duped for money) and father a child through their "Tai tai" (read: "women on the side").

feel free to add to this wiki lol

All that was necessary was that there are reasons outside children. I'm sure there are many more reasons as I'm sure many people get married for different reasons. However my point still stands that marriage does not necessitate children. So using the children argument is weak at best.
Tbh its not just gay marriage, there are no credible arguments against activities in general which involves consenting parties (of adult age) that will not cause harm anyone else.
Reply 142
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
- Do you have any?

I think it's very hard to find a good argument against it - which is why catholic bishops and other people have generally ended up sounding like idiots on the radio/TV when they've tried to argue why it shouldn't be allowed.

The only argument that I think holds any weight, is to argue that saying that both gay and straight marriages are allowed is just as arbitrary as saying only straight marriages are allowed. For example:

Why can't three people who love each other have a tri-marriage?

Why can't a man marry more than one woman?

Why can't close relatives get married (and not have children)?

If we say all those things shouldn't be allowed then we are creating a 'definition' of marriage to suit our own beliefs on what is right and wrong, and then imposing it on a minority. Which is no different to saying that only a man and a woman can get married.

I haven't yet been able to come up with a watertight response to this, so would be interested to hear one!
Original post by thunder_chunky
If there truly isn't a huge difference between civil partnerships and marriage there's no real reason to oppose it.
Furthermore what proof do you have that men live longer, children more likely to go to uni yadda yadda. What's that based on?
Where is the proof that society would do well to stay the same?

How temporary the government is, is irrelevant. If the people want it, if they are happy for the definition of marriage to change that's the important part.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/benefits_of_marriage_and_commitment/index.php

http://www.centraltexasfatherhood.org/the-7-benefits-of-marriage-for-men/
Original post by minimarshmallow
And women should still be property and black people should not be allowed to get married either.
Newsflash: this isn't the first time marriage has changed, and it probably won't be the last.
And why should the government determine how something do with the government and the law is? Well I just don't know. Let's let false tradition deal with that should we?

Your 'argument' has been done to death.

Just fyi on the bold as well, this is pro gay marriage, you seem to be against it.

You proved my point, the reason why Blacks and Whites in the USA, Aparthied South Africa and Nazi Germany couldn't get married was because the government at the time intervened and passed laws making it illegal thus DEFINING what marriage is or what it ought to be, I'm saying goverment shouldn't be able to. Ultimately marriage should be between one Man and one Woman, just my opinion.
Original post by RevolutionIsNear!
You proved my point, the reason why Blacks and Whites in the USA, Aparthied South Africa and Nazi Germany couldn't get married was because the government at the time intervened and passed laws making it illegal thus DEFINING what marriage is or what it ought to be, I'm saying goverment shouldn't be able to. Ultimately marriage should be between one Man and one Woman, just my opinion.

Why though? Why shouldn't the government be able to do that? Marriage isn't a religious institution, nor was it originally. And why do you believe it should be between one man and one woman?
Original post by kbilly
I'm sorry, you are bound to be outraged, but let's face it, the truth hurts -

It's ironic how you use the term 'gay marriage'. 'Marriage'? The Bible clearly states in several instances that marriage is the unification, the coming together of a Man and a Woman, not a man and a man, or a woman and a woman. Therefore, it's completely ironic, and quite impossible to even put the words 'gay' and 'marriage' next to each other, because the two just don't go together.
I'll say it again - The definition of 'marriage' itself is the union of a man and a woman as husband and wife coming together to form one.

Just go ahead and make your own rules up why don't you.

The Bible??? But mankind - and might I say marriage - had been around long before this black book came into being. Marriage is a legal contract/union between two human beings who contract to be together/do certain things etc. Even same-sex marriage has shown up intermittently in history.

In any case, this is civil marriage we are talking about.
If I want to spend the rest of my life with a boy then I would like it to be with the blessing of my (accepting) church and my God (Not getting into an argument about their existence). I cannot understand an argument against it, the only real one's I can see here is "what is the point?" to which I say that if a seperate but "equal" system exists (which it does) then it needs to be removed, and "it infringes on the rights of religion" (which was an argument used against the end of segregation) but doesn't it infringe on the rights of those religious institutions that wish to perform them?

Also, the equalisation of marriage would greatly help those who suffer from GID (a Medical condition), who must dissolve their marriages before paperwork and treatment necessary to continue their lives as normal will be issued.

Second section contains information about Dissolvation of marriage: http://www.gires.org.uk/GRA.php
GID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GID
Reply 148
All of those arguments can be used to legalize incest and bestiality.

I mean, who are we to say that man/dog love is not a real thing? Who are we to say that a father can't love his daughter as a wife?

(Note: I do not condone any of the above, I am just using the analogies to illustrate a parallel point)

Seriously OP, a line has to be drawn somewhere.
Original post by Jester94
Do you realise that in the first phrase you agreed with the OP, then proceeded to include an opinion which directly contradicts that of the OP?

When you are forced to stick to civil partnerships and are denied marriage because of your sexual orientation, then you will see 'what's wrong with sticking to CPs'.

Straight people are very welcome to hold your own Pride, but there is really no need for it. Pride is a way of saying that we will not be oppressed, we will not be discriminated against because of our sexual orientation; heterosexual people have never been persecuted/oppressed/discriminated against because of their sexual orientation, thus there is no real need to hold a Pride in the same way we do. However, once full equality is achieved, then Pride will most likely become redundant (though unfortunately I can't see that happening anytime soon)

CPs =/= Marriage.

Yes your right I misread the OP, by law, ALL marriages are 'civil partnerships', hence the equal recognition of both heterosexual and homosexual marriages/civil partnership. The name change has more to do with principal and history, marriage is regarded as an age-old institution that is by longstanding definition and acceptance a formal relationship between a man and a woman primarily designed for producing and rearing children.
Besides, where does it stop? It’s only matter of time before religious places of worship are forced to marry gay couples, going against their religious which stretch back thousands of years.
Lastly, I wonder what your opinions are on polygamy? Or polyandry? Either marriage is something with an absolute nature ordained by God (or natural law and tradition) and thus unchangeable, or it is an artificial thing, created by human beings on their own authority, and thus changeable according to the whims of whatever members of the human race happen to gain the political power needed to define it for the rest of the species.
If the first conclusion is correct, the rules of marriage are as inflexible as the rules of mathematics. Just as 1 plus 1 always equals 2, so must marriage always equal the union of one man and one woman.
If the second conclusion is correct, there are no limits at all on what "marriage" could mean.

“Man and Woman, Man and Man, Man and Women, Man and Dog….” As one Republican put it.
I know that sounds harsh, but if it’s not broken, why fix it? Or change and rearrange it? Besides there many gay people, prominent ones too who are against gay marriage
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .eXe

I mean, who are we to say that man/dog love is not a real thing? Who are we to say that a father can't love his daughter as a wife?

(Note: I do not condone any of the above, I am just using the analogies to illustrate a parallel point)

You realize that was addressed in the OP? it may be real but not necessarily reciprocated, not to mention a dog has no legal standing, cannot consent, or anything like that.

Your example of incest is a bit more tricky, but is still not exactly congruous but thats for a different thread :smile:.
Original post by .eXe

(as a side note: I have no issue with incest between two people of a similar age who do not intend to, and are prepared to ensure that the never do, have children)

Man/Dog love involves a non consenting party (you cannot get consent from a dog and even if you can most dogs only live till about 15 maximum so if we treat them like humans it is statutory rape anyways!)

Father/Daughter relationships involve power relations (in the same way teacher student relationships do) and for that reason alone shouldnt be compared to homosexual realtionships between two people on equal footing.
Yes your right I misread the OP, by law, ALL marriages are 'civil partnerships', hence the equal recognition of both heterosexual and homosexual marriages/civil partnership. The name change has more to do with principal and history, marriage is regarded as an age-old institution that is by longstanding definition and acceptance a formal relationship between a man and a woman primarily designed for producing and rearing children.
Besides, where does it stop? It’s only matter of time before religious places of worship are forced to marry gay couples, going against their religious which stretch back thousands of years.
Lastly, I wonder what your opinions are on polygamy? Or polyandry? Either marriage is something with an absolute nature ordained by God (or natural law and tradition) and thus unchangeable, or it is an artificial thing, created by human beings on their own authority, and thus changeable according to the whims of whatever members of the human race happen to gain the political power needed to define it for the rest of the species.
If the first conclusion is correct, the rules of marriage are as inflexible as the rules of mathematics. Just as 1 plus 1 always equals 2, so must marriage always equal the union of one man and one woman.
If the second conclusion is correct, there are no limits at all on what "marriage" could mean.

“Man and Woman, Man and Man, Man and Women, Man and Dog….” As one Republican put it.
I know that sounds harsh, but if it’s not broken, why fix it? Or change and rearrange it? Besides there many gay people, prominent ones too who are against gay marriage

That is hardly an argument. There are plenty of straight people for it. And many gay people for it as well. If you don't want a same-sex marriage then don't get one :rolleyes:

Now as far as your definition goes, marriages have been happen before religion has defined it. Not too mention you can reasonably limit what a marriage is or isn't.

For your little quote, the bestiality and slippery slope argument it entails are fallacious arguments, and besides that have been dealt with extensively. Dogs cannot consent, etc.
Reply 153
Original post by .eXe

enhanced-buzz-6937-1323900337-74.jpg
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Why though? Why shouldn't the government be able to do that? Marriage isn't a religious institution, nor was it originally. And why do you believe it should be between one man and one woman?

Marriage in this country certainly has its roots in Pagan and Abrahamic teaching particularly that of Christianity, just like the rule of law and several institutions (such as the monarchy) do, to deny Christianity’s lasting contribution to British society would be to deny history. On the issue of governments, goverments come and go, each one having its own thought process, function and agenda, we're lucky enough to live in a 'democracy', how about the several dictatorships around the world? Even in democracies, there's inevitably a 'tyranny of the majority', meaning many peoples opinions are excluded.

By law, ALL marriages are 'civil partnerships', hence the equal recognition of both heterosexual and homosexual marriages/civil partnership. The name change has more to do with principal and history, marriage is regarded as an age-old institution that is by longstanding definition and acceptance a formal relationship between a man and a woman primarily designed for producing and rearing children.
Besides, where does it stop? It’s only matter of time before religious places of worship are forced to marry gay couples, going against their religions which stretch back thousands of years.

I know that sounds harsh, but if it’s not broken, why fix it? Or change and rearrange it? Besides there many gay people, prominent ones too who are against gay marriage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 155
Original post by FinalMH
This is religion not democracy or human rights. Religion is quite clear on this issue and it shouldn't be undermine for the sake of the minority.

I have stated this many times on the thread, but the current debate revolves around civil marriage, thus religion has nothing to do with it.

Original post by kbilly
I'm sorry, you are bound to be outraged, but let's face it, the truth hurts -

It's ironic how you use the term 'gay marriage'. 'Marriage'? The Bible clearly states in several instances that marriage is the unification, the coming together of a Man and a Woman, not a man and a man, or a woman and a woman. Therefore, it's completely ironic, and quite impossible to even put the words 'gay' and 'marriage' next to each other, because the two just don't go together.
I'll say it again - The definition of 'marriage' itself is the union of a man and a woman as husband and wife coming together to form one.

Just go ahead and make your own rules up why don't you.

See above.

Original post by FinalMH
:eek: People are quoting me at different points in my argument. I've clearly stated in a previous post that i have no problem with it as long as it doesn't undermine religion.

What do I mean by undermining religion? Forcing religiously places to marry people which the religion don't agree with.

We have to see the distinction between the state and the church. The state grants the marriage not the church. So you still get married but not in church.

Nobody has advocated forcing churches to perform same-sex marriages against their will, so please do not put words into our mouths.
Marriage in this country certainly has its roots in Pagan and Abrahamic teaching particularly that of Christianity, just like the rule of law and several institutions (such as the monarchy) do, to deny Christianity’s lasting contribution to British society would be to deny history.

By law, ALL marriages are 'civil partnerships', hence the equal recognition of both heterosexual and homosexual marriages/civil partnership. The name change has more to do with principal and history, marriage is regarded as an age-old institution that is by longstanding definition and acceptance a formal relationship between a man and a woman primarily designed for producing and rearing children.

I know that sounds harsh, but if it’s not broken, why fix it? Or change and rearrange it? Besides there many gay people, prominent ones too who are against marriage.

Thank you for reposting the exact thing I responded to :colonhash: My response still stands. Marriage as an institution is much larger than just 'this country' and has its roots farther back than religion. So that argument is still moot. Not to mention we are talking about civil marriage so any religious definition is still moot. The institution of marriage has its roots in trading daughters for land and goods :smile: I don't see you advocating for that traditional practice of marriage :rolleyes:

Again it can be reasonably determined where the limits of marriage are. For example marriage would require consenting parties. Being such that a dog, or toaster, or whatever other ridiculous examples people come up with, cannot give consent, they cannot marry. It's really not all that complicated or slippery as you would like it to be. As I said the slippery slope argument is a fallacious one. It is not a valid argument. :smile: Please try again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 157

Please stop attempting to justify your bigotry by appealing to mathematics. This statement is utter rubbish.
Reply 158
Original post by mmmpie
enhanced-buzz-6937-1323900337-74.jpg

Well done, did you make that all by yourself?

I know what challenges homosexuals face, I for one am not against homosexual relationships/marriage/whatever. What people do behind closed doors is not my business and frankly I have more important things to worry about. In my earlier post the 2 analogies I made were to show that others too can use the same arguments to justify their positions.

Additionally, just because two adults are of consenting age and able to make their own decisions, doesn't necessarily make those decisions good/moral/acceptable/etc. Your montage seems to suggest otherwise.
Reply 159
Marriage in this country certainly has its roots in Pagan and Abrahamic teaching particularly that of Christianity, just like the rule of law and several institutions (such as the monarchy) do, to deny Christianity’s lasting contribution to British society would be to deny history.

We remember our part in the crusades, that doesn't require us to repeat them.

On the issue of governments, goverments come and go, each one having its own thought process, function and agenda, we're lucky enough to live in a 'democracy', how about several goverment around the world under dictatorships? Even in democracies, there's inevitably a 'tyranny of the majority', meaning many peoples voices won't be heard.

Tyranny of the majority is offset by jurisprudence and the concept of individual rights. Basic political theory.

By law, ALL marriages are 'civil partnerships', hence the equal recognition of both heterosexual and homosexual marriages/civil partnership.

Yeah, you have no idea what the law says about this, do you? At present, we have marriages (subdivided into a choice of civil and religious) which are an option for straight couples, and civil partnerships (which do not have a religious form) for gay couples. There are different institutions governed by different laws, with different names and cultural connotations.

The name change has more to do with principal and history, marriage is regarded as an age-old institution that is by longstanding definition and acceptance a formal relationship between a man and a woman primarily designed for producing and rearing children.

Actually, historically it's about property rights and in contemporary society it's about love. This idea that it's about begetting children is rather 19th century.

We don't compel religions to obey equality law when conducting any other of their religious rites, why should this be any different? Besides, religions will be prohibited absolutely from conducting same sex marriages - something which some religions are very upset about because they want to, but the prohibition is required if there's going to be any chance of getting the Lords to accept it.

The law can not assume that any religion is right.

And if, on rational consideration, there are arguments for but not against marriage extending to other forms of relationships then marriage should be extended to other forms of relationships.

Offensive, hyperbolic nonsense.

I know that sounds harsh, but if it’s not broken, why fix it? Or change and rearrange it? Besides there many gay people, prominent ones too who are against marriage.

It is broken, hence the fixing.

Name some prominent gay people who are against same-sex marriage. There are some who say same-sex marriage should not be the priority right now, and there are some who are against marriage in any form, but I know of none who simply oppose the legalisation of same-sex marriage.

Latest

Trending

Trending