The Student Room Group

Sociology OCR A2 -'Crime + Deviance' and 'Social inequality + difference' (G673+G674)

Hey guys!! :cool:

Havent found a thread on these sociology topics im sitting in june so thought id make one!

Crime and Deviance (13 June 2012)
Social inequality and Difference (19 June 2012)

Anyways does anyone know the structure of the exam? and essay structure help? or predict whats going to come up?

Ill try help as much as i can i got a B at AS and hoping to better it *Fingers Crossed* :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm retaking G673 in the summer after completely cocking up, you will see 4 topics on the paper, answer the section you were TAUGHT. For me it was Crime and Deviance, you will get 3 50 mark essay questions, and you choose 2 of them. For example;

Crime and Deviance
1. Outline and assess the Marxist view on crime and deviance.
2. Outline and assess the usefulness of the official statistics in recording crime and deviance.
3. Outline and assess sub-cultural approaches in explaining crime and deviance.

There will be other topics such as the Sociology of Health, Religion and Media, but ignore them if you’re doing Crime and Deviance. You get 1 hour 30 minutes to complete this paper, so roughly 45 minutes on each essay is advisable.

As for G674 - It is a 2 hour exam combining and consolidating all of the stuff you learnt in
G671. From research methods to ethnicity, class, age etc. You get a source which you will need to read through at the start of your exam, a similar text to that of the pre-release in G671; however this will be the first time you will ever see it. You will be given 2 questions on research methods, a 15 marker (Outline and explain why sociologists use semi-structured interviews in sociological research, for example), and then a 25 marker (Outline and assess the view that ethnography research is the best way to study gender inequality, for example), the paper tells you that you should refer to your wider sociological knowledge and the source material provided to get a better grade. They want to see those vital synoptic links. These 2 questions are compulsory.

You then have a choice of what essays you tackle, OCR provide you with 2 questions which both have 2 essays, one 20 and one 40 mark. The 20 would be something like (Outline the evidence that some age groups are advantaged in the contemporary UK), and the 40 would be something like (Outline and assess functionalist explanations of age inequality). You cannot pick and choose between the separate questions, you cannot do question 3a and 4b. Both essays will be on the same topic, i.e. age so essentially OCR makes you do two essays on 1 topic out of 4. (Age, Class, Ethnicity and Gender). Crucially this exam will only have your set of questions on it, so do not worry about ignoring the others.

A recap:
G673:

ANSWER 2 OF 3
Crime and Deviance
2. Outline and assess the usefulness of the official statistics in recording crime and deviance.

IGNORE OTHER TOPICS!

G674:
(Use source material provided)
1. Outline and explain why semi-structured interviews may be used in sociological research. 15

2. Outline and assess the view that ethnographic research is the best way to study gender inequality in youth sub-cultures. 25

Then answer EITHER question 3a and 3b OR question 4a and 4b
They will be based on Ethnicity, Gender, Age or Class.

3 a) Outline the evidence that some age groups are advantaged in the contemporary UK. 20

b) Outline and assess the functionalist explanations of age inequality. 40

OR

4 a) Outline the evidence that patterns of gender inequality are changing in the contemp UK. 20

b) Outline and assess the view that patriarchy is the main cause of gender inequality. 40 marks

THESE ARE JUST POSSIBLE AND PAST QUESTIONS. THEY ARE NOT THE ONES THAT WILL COME UP IN YOUR EXAM FOR DEFINITE.

I hope this helped you! :biggrin:
Regards
Matt
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bruin_
I'm retaking G673 in the summer after completely cocking up, you will see 4 topics on the paper, answer the section you were TAUGHT. For me it was Crime and Deviance, you will get 3 50 mark essay questions, and you choose 2 of them. For example;

Crime and Deviance

There will be other topics such as the Sociology of Health, Religion and Media, but ignore them if you’re doing Crime and Deviance. You get 1 hour 30 minutes to complete this paper, so roughly 45 minutes on each essay is advisable.

As for G674 - It is a 2 hour exam combining and consolidating all of the stuff you learnt in
G671. From research methods to ethnicity, class, age etc. You get a source which you will need to read through at the start of your exam, a similar text to that of the pre-release in G671; however this will be the first time you will ever see it. You will be given 2 questions on research methods, a 15 marker (Outline and explain why sociologists use semi-structured interviews in sociological research, for example), and then a 25 marker (Outline and assess the view that ethnography research is the best way to study gender inequality, for example), the paper tells you that you should refer to your wider sociological knowledge and the source material provided to get a better grade. They want to see those vital synoptic links. These 2 questions are compulsory.

You then have a choice of what essays you tackle, OCR provide you with 2 questions which both have 2 essays, one 20 and one 40 mark. The 20 would be something like (Outline the evidence that some age groups are advantaged in the contemporary UK), and the 40 would be something like (Outline and assess functionalist explanations of age inequality). You cannot pick and choose between the separate questions, you cannot do question 3a and 4b. Both essays will be on the same topic, i.e. age so essentially OCR makes you do two essays on 1 topic out of 4. (Age, Class, Ethnicity and Gender). Crucially this exam will only have your set of questions on it, so do not worry about ignoring the others.

A recap:
G673:

ANSWER 2 OF 3
Crime and Deviance

IGNORE OTHER TOPICS!

G674:
1. Outline and explain why semi-structured interviews may be used in sociological research. 15

2. Outline and assess the view that ethnographic research is the best way to study gender inequality in youth sub-cultures. 25

3 a) Outline the evidence that some age groups are advantaged in the contemporary UK. 20

OR

4 a) Outline the evidence that patterns of gender inequality are changing in the contemp UK. 20

b) Outline and assess the view that patriarchy is the main cause of gender inequality. 40 marks

THESE ARE JUST POSSIBLE AND PAST QUESTIONS. THEY ARE NOT THE ONES THAT WILL COME UP IN YOUR EXAM FOR DEFINITE.

Regards
Matt

Hey thanks alot that really helped!! what did you get in cock up btw?
Reply 3
AS:
G671: A (91/100)
G672: B (76/100)

A2:
G673: C (61/100) - I think I misinterpreted a question on the mass media as an internationalism essay, but I'm still awaiting the script back.

I will be happy with a B overall haha, just enough for uni.
Reply 4
Original post by Bruin_
AS:
G671: A (91/100)
G672: B (76/100)

A2:
G673: C (61/100) - I think I misinterpreted a question on the mass media as an internationalism essay, but I'm still awaiting the script back.

I will be happy with a B overall haha, just enough for uni.

thats good! :biggrin: i got 2 B's at AS so im aiming to keep that grade at A2 *Fingers crossed* lol do you have any tips?
Reply 5
Plan your answers. Although you have less time than the marks in C + D, for the love of god plan your essay, take 5 minutes to do it. So for a question on functionalism just quickly note your structure of the essay:

Intro: What is functionalism? Value Consensus, biological anatomy etc. They see crime as functional however many social theories disagree I.e. Marxism.

Literally work your way down the theorists and concepts.
P1: Durkheim
P2: Cloward and Ohlin
P3: Albert Cohen
P4: Merton's Strain Theory
+ Many more

Then the your last quarter should be an evaluation:
P5: A Marxist would say...
P6: A Left Realist would say...

Conclusion:
There valid in this sense: blah blah blah
There not good in this sense: blah blah blah

For the top grades you need to evaluate a point as soon as you explain it. So rather than having a chunky evaluation at the end, you criticize your own point as soon as you write it. Really abuse those evaluative words, "However", "On the other hand", "Per Contra"... try and spell it out to the examiner. Don't worry about the AO3 marks, if you did an essay in the structure I just gave you then you will be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Bruin_
Plan your answers. Although you have less time than the marks in C + D, for the love of god plan your essay, take 5 minutes to do it. So for a question on functionalism just quickly note your structure of the essay:

Intro: What is functionalism? Value Consensus, biological anatomy etc. They see crime as functional however many social theories disagree I.e. Marxism.

Literally work your way down the theorists and concepts.
P1: Durkheim
P2: Cloward and Ohlin
P3: Albert Cohen
P4: Merton's Strain Theory
+ Many more

Then the your last quarter should be an evaluation:
P5: A Marxist would say...
P6: A Left Realist would say...

Conclusion:
There valid in this sense: blah blah blah
There not good in this sense: blah blah blah

For the top grades you need to evaluate a point as soon as you explain it. So rather than having a chunky evaluation at the end, you criticize your own point as soon as you write it. Really abuse those evaluative words, "However", "On the other hand", "Per Contra"... try and spell it out to the examiner. Don't worry about the AO3 marks, if you did an essay in the structure I just gave you then you will be fine.

Yes i dont see a problem with those type of questions like what do functionalists believe about c and d or what do marxists etc.

I think i just have to be clear on my notes and know exactely everything with structure.

Thanks alot for the info dude :biggrin:
Reply 7
Ahh, so glad to see a thread on this! I was searching for it!
Well I'm in some major need of help on how to answer these damn questions! (G674) I never seem to get it right, and it doesn't help when your teacher doesn't teach the lessons or when he does, the lessons are rather unproductive. anyway enough of me complaining. lol
To be honest all i want is to keep my C i got from last year!
I'm only doing G674 in summer :smile: I'm so glad the exam is 2 hours! :biggrin:
I find myself always rushing, although i honestly don't understand how i managed to get a B in G673 :s-smilie:
Any tips on how i could revise?? (yes, i haven't started revising yet! don't freak me out, i have 6 exams! [a lot for me, seeing half of them are maths! :P ] lol}
Should i just practice writing essays? making notes is effort, i'm so demotivated!
Hows everyone else's revision going? (or are there some who haven't started, like me? lol)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by CraziiFreak
Ahh, so glad to see a thread on this! I was searching for it!
Well I'm in some major need of help on how to answer these damn questions! (G674) I never seem to get it right, and it doesn't help when your teacher doesn't teach the lessons or when he does, the lessons are rather unproductive. anyway enough of me complaining. lol
To be honest all i want is to keep my C i got from last year!
I'm only doing G674 in summer :smile: I'm so glad the exam is 2 hours! :biggrin:
I find myself always rushing, although i honestly don't understand how i managed to get a B in G673 :s-smilie:
Any tips on how i could revise?? (yes, i haven't started revising yet! don't freak me out, i have 6 exams! [a lot for me, seeing half of them are maths! :P ] lol}
Should i just practice writing essays? making notes is effort, i'm so demotivated!
Hows everyone else's revision going? (or are there some who haven't started, like me? lol)

Haha tbh people dont need to revise alot of u understand sociology because its not that hard. What i find best about revising is doing a question based on your notes and then condensing the notes further so you understand them well!
Reply 9
I have possibly the worst teacher known to man for sociology so i'm having to learn all of this independently :frown:

But I have an A for AS so if I get a decent grade on this I should be able to maintain that :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Peggles_*
I have possibly the worst teacher known to man for sociology so i'm having to learn all of this independently :frown:

But I have an A for AS so if I get a decent grade on this I should be able to maintain that :biggrin:

i was in the same position last year lol learnt most of it by myself because of my idoitic teacher and came out with a B :biggrin: it can be done huh :wink:
Hey guys im wondering does eni1 know what might come up in the G673 crime and deviance exam because i am dreading the exam and what makes it even worse is that it clashes with my chemistry unit 5 exam.. so stressed :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by k4m4r
Hey guys!! :cool:

Havent found a thread on these sociology topics im sitting in june so thought id make one!

Crime and Deviance (13 June 2012)
Social inequality and Difference (19 June 2012)

Anyways does anyone know the structure of the exam? and essay structure help? or predict whats going to come up?

Ill try help as much as i can i got a B at AS and hoping to better it *Fingers Crossed* :smile:

Mate i got 80% in family 69 in g671 and g673 was a bang on 70% if you really want to pass G674 you have to get this colins book which has a gold fish on it tis a white book with blue cover heres a link i used it for them exams (apart from g673) it has model answers how to improve from a **** answer to a good one you cant lose and its about a fiver (Y) :cool:
Reply 13
Original post by Mmm chocolates
Hey guys im wondering does eni1 know what might come up in the G673 crime and deviance exam because i am dreading the exam and what makes it even worse is that it clashes with my chemistry unit 5 exam.. so stressed :frown:

Get that collins book on crime and deviance gaurantee you'll get a A* heres a link!http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-Sociology-Inequality/dp/0007418388/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338029740&sr=1-1 click for your one on amazon roughly a fiver :smile:
I already got the book but thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 15
yeh iv got the book too its awesome :smile:
I'm struggling with G674
In AS i got 100UMS in both of the topics and in G673 i got 81UMS! I'm finding this topic so difficult though :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by misslaura_bee
I'm struggling with G674
In AS i got 100UMS in both of the topics and in G673 i got 81UMS! I'm finding this topic so difficult though :frown:

What exactely are u finding hard? most people tend to like crime and deviance, i find if you did in AS and enjoy socio its not that hard tbh
Original post by Bruin_

Crime and Deviance

A recap:
G673:

ANSWER 2 OF 3
Crime and Deviance

IGNORE OTHER TOPICS!

G674:

OR

Regards
Matt

Did Marxism come up in January for crime and deviance?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey can someone summarise realist solutions to crime plz thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending