The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, they do accommodation in blocks (AFAIK, it's random). It just helps lower the load on the servers. Think about how many people are coming into Loughborough in September/October... That many people trying to log in at the same time will cause the server to crash (they'll have DDoS'ed themselves effectively).
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 1201
Oh, I thought it was released in batches, for everyone to apply on the wednesday, and if you can't make it/don't get in to the first batch you apply again on Thurs, then on Fri...
Original post by Pn94
****. We have to start applying from Friday and I'm clueless.

Anyone got an idea as to where's the best ensuite accommodation with plenty going on? :biggrin:

William Morris. :cool:
My e-mail said 9am on Thursday and that the system "will not be available between 7-9 and 12-2 on Wed the 6th of June"
Reply 1204
Ah ok, guess you guys were right then.. :biggrin:

Good luck everyone with getting what you want :smile:
What's the deal with bringing TVs to Loughborough halls? I read on the FAQs that they recommend you don't bring a TV and it says you can get Freewire through wired socket only.

Ideally I want to bring my TV but if I'm unlikely to be able to watch anything then there's not much point. :erm:

Opinions from current students please. What do most people do regarding TV? :confused:
Reply 1206
Original post by Alxndra
What's the deal with bringing TVs to Loughborough halls? I read on the FAQs that they recommend you don't bring a TV and it says you can get Freewire through wired socket only.

Ideally I want to bring my TV but if I'm unlikely to be able to watch anything then there's not much point. :erm:

Opinions from current students please. What do most people do regarding TV? :confused:

If all else fails just connect it to your computer and stream using TVCatchup.com or iPlayer/4oD
Reply 1207
Okay people,

I've decided to go with Bill Mo as 1st choice and Telford as 'insurance' as it were but the thingy's saying they're 39 week long contracts.... Then I scroll down and there are halls with like 41, 42, 44 and 50 week contracts.

Yeah, what's the deal?

Thanks
Reply 1208
Okay people,

I've decided to go with Bill Mo as 1st choice and Telford as 'insurance' as it were but the thingy's saying they're 39 week long contracts.... Then I scroll down and there are halls with like 41, 42, 44 and 50 week contracts.

Yeah, what's the deal?

Thanks
Original post by Kunle419
Okay people,

Yeah, what's the deal?

Thanks

Some let you stay longer after the summer term finishes, and for some of the shorter ones you may have to move your things out of your room in the Christmas/Easter holidays. There's not much to it really. Depending on your circumstances you might want a longer contract.
Reply 1210
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Some let you stay longer after the summer term finishes, and for some of the shorter ones you may have to move your things out of your room in the Christmas/Easter holidays. There's not much to it really. Depending on your circumstances you might want a longer contract.

Okay cheers (Y)

Is there an opportunity to adjust the contract length during our stay?
Okay cheers (Y)

Is there an opportunity to adjust the contract length during our stay?

Not as far as I'm aware :no: You could ask the accommodation centre to be sure but unless you move to a different hall, I doubt it.
Reply 1212
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Not as far as I'm aware :no: You could ask the accommodation centre to be sure but unless you move to a different hall, I doubt it.

Okay thanks a lot.

I know I'm being annoying but just one more thing - I watched a video on youtube by Rigg-Rut and they had a pretty funny chant about how amazing they are as a hall and how shabby all others are and there was one bar that made me laugh but also made me question my choice, "Telford hall, you are so ****e, your parents must be ****ing tight".

So yeah is Telford considered a lesser hall over there?
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay thanks a lot.

I know I'm being annoying but just one more thing - I watched a video on youtube by Rigg-Rut and they had a pretty funny chant about how amazing they are as a hall and how shabby all others are and there was one bar that made me laugh but also made me question my choice, "Telford hall, you are so ****e, your parents must be ****ing tight".

So yeah is Telford considered a lesser hall over there?

All the halls have chants which you learn for the sing-off towards the end of freshers week.
(edited 11 years ago)
Helpppppp.
I've noticed so many people are actually reserving the accommodation of their choice rather than going through the preference system?!
Obviously going through choosing the accommodation of my choice would be ideal but I don't want to pay money upfront if I won't get it back if I don't get into Loughborough. That's why I was going to go through the preference system with the only 3 accommodations I actually like.
What are the chances I'll actually get one of those 3 accommodations? As with the amount of people I can see not going through preference, I doubt there'll be space for the preference people?
Original post by Veeceebee
Helpppppp.
I've noticed so many people are actually reserving the accommodation of their choice rather than going through the preference system?!
Obviously going through choosing the accommodation of my choice would be ideal but I don't want to pay money upfront if I won't get it back if I don't get into Loughborough. That's why I was going to go through the preference system with the only 3 accommodations I actually like.
What are the chances I'll actually get one of those 3 accommodations? As with the amount of people I can see not going through preference, I doubt there'll be space for the preference people?

I dont know the exact figures but you can still get popular halls. I got offered a place at William Morris for next year in the second phase of preference. Another flatmate also got offered William Morris too.

I just advise you dont put down 3 very popular halls.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I dont know the exact figures but you can still get popular halls. I got offered a place at William Morris for next year in the second phase of preference. Another flatmate also got offered William Morris too.

Oh nooo.....Elvyn, Robert Bakewell and Hazel-rigg Rutland are the only one's I like and I've gathered they're pretty popular :frown:
Considering risking the money...aha
Original post by Veeceebee
Oh nooo.....Elvyn, Robert Bakewell and Hazel-rigg Rutland are the only one's I like and I've gathered they're pretty popular :frown:
Considering risking the money...aha

Some of the most popular. If you ring the Loughborough student accommodation centre they should be able to inform you about the money issue.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

Which halls are generally the most popular ones?

I'm thinking about 1st - Harry French, 2nd- Falk-Egg, 3rd - William Morris
Original post by rockchickm
Which halls are generally the most popular ones?

I'm thinking about 1st - Harry French, 2nd- Falk-Egg, 3rd - William Morris

I'd take a guess and say William Morris > Bakewell > Rigg-rut > Elvyn or Falk-egg.

Latest

Trending

Trending