The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juanitor
Could someone explain the difference between the Room Reservation and Preference systems? It just sounds like Preferencial system is worse for some reason, but I don't really understand E_E

Room reservation is "Here is a list of all the rooms that are left. Pick which one you want and it's yours". The catch being that probably not all types are available.

The preference system is exactly what it sounds like; you put down what you'd like and they'll try to give you as close to that as possible later on.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
A friend of mine applied today and said that the halls that were available for her to choose were basically decided on gender and course choice?
It makes sense to do it that way, but how are we supposed to know which accommodation is for which course? I'd like to know in advance if the accommodation I want will be available for me. Then if not, I will be prepared to chose another one..
Original post by Veeceebee
A friend of mine applied today and said that the halls that were available for her to choose were basically decided on gender and course choice?
It makes sense to do it that way, but how are we supposed to know which accommodation is for which course? I'd like to know in advance if the accommodation I want will be available for me. Then if not, I will be prepared to chose another one..

All the accommodation is for every course, but if by the time you apply lots of other people on the same/similar course as you have already chosen that hall it might not show it as available to you, though it may still show as having spaces for people on different courses.

You can't really predict whether you'll get the room you want so it's a good idea to have one or two backup choices or to be prepared to use the preference system instead :yes:
Picking a hall because its close to your department or certain lecture halls is a waste. I visit the physics department once a week, most of my lectures were in James France in semester 1, semester 2 most of them were at the engineering department (far from where I live).
Reply 1264
im going to do an art foundation in loughborough in september, and have the accommodation application process starts tomorrow! i really like the look of robert bakewell but do people think its pointless for an art student to go there because its a bit far away? opinions please!
Original post by msmith94
im going to do an art foundation in loughborough in september, and have the accommodation application process starts tomorrow! i really like the look of robert bakewell but do people think its pointless for an art student to go there because its a bit far away? opinions please!

I would guess that no matter where you are on campus you won't have any more than a 20 minute walk to any lecture or whatevs so I wouldn't let distance put you off since it's not like you'll be walking for hours. Get a bike or something if it really bothers you hahah.
Reply 1266
True haha! Thanks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1267
Just tried to register and got:

The online application process is currently not available to you.

You cannot register at the moment.

If you think you should be able to apply for accommodation please try again in 24 hrs. If you are still having problems please contact the Student Accommodation Centre.

Err, thought we were supposed to register before our slot opened up?
Applying on Friday at 9
Original post by msmith94

Hmm it is far from the art college. Not so good if you want to lug canvases over there i guess! But RB is a great hall, lovely rooms and as someone said above you can always get a bike. The art college now has an art shop too for your essentials :smile:

Msmith, I'm the same. Good thing is there's a free bus service that goes from a nearby station to Bakewell, past the School of the Arts, so I'm seriously considering that. Bit pricey though, compared to other places.
Msmith, I'm the same. Good thing is there's a free bus service that goes from a nearby station to Bakewell, past the School of the Arts, so I'm seriously considering that. Bit pricey though, compared to other places.

Didn't know it was free now?! When did that happen. Yeah it is quite expensive but the rooms are very plush and the en suite is big. Phone signal can be dodgy sometimes though I think, but that may apply to more halls.

Oh, I heard from someone on this forum that it was free for on-campus trips if you had some kinda student card?

What'd you say about the less expensive single-bed non-ensuite Harry French rooms + Teleford rooms?
Oh, I heard from someone on this forum that it was free for on-campus trips if you had some kinda student card?

What'd you say about the less expensive single-bed non-ensuite Harry French rooms + Teleford rooms?

Yeah sorry mate wasn't disputing it; on placement this year so no doubt things have changed since I was last year :smile:

Harry French is quality and the rooms are more than adequate; obviously not as plush as RB and no en suite but depends on what you want really!

Not sure about Telford as I've only ever seen a room once on a campus tour before I arrived; seemed nice enough :smile:

Me neither mate, I have no clue and thought you knew more tbh :smile:

Yeah, I just sat down and looked at prices more carefully. With no student loan due to Foundation Art (stupid system :frown:), I've realised I need to be a bit more tactical with where I put my money. Will probs go with the standard Harry French room, thanks for the tips! There aren't really any advantages to being on campus anyway, from what I've heard.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've done something really stupid :frown: I registered to apply for accommodation back in May when it opened, and I was just checking now to see if my login worked, but it didn't.
It turns out that I stupidly didn't see the confirmation code in the registration email, and I've tried to register again, but it says I can't do it at this moment....
I'm supposed to actually apply for accommodation tomorrow at 9am, does anyone know if I'll actually be able to register before then? I feel like such a fool :|
Original post by xxxy

Err, thought we were supposed to register before our slot opened up?
Applying on Friday at 9

You were supposed to register before accommodation was able to be applied for , on the website it says

Please note: If you have not registered prior to 7am on Wednesday 6 June, you will be unable to register until your designated application time.

So you'll just have to register when you actually go to apply on friday
Shoulda checked earlier in the day :frown: the student accommodation people are really efficient with their email responses/technical help.
Me neither mate, I have no clue and thought you knew more tbh :smile:

Yeah, I just sat down and looked at prices more carefully. With no student loan due to Foundation Art (stupid system :frown:), I've realised I need to be a bit more tactical with where I put my money. Will probs go with the standard Harry French room, thanks for the tips! There aren't really any advantages to being on campus anyway, from what I've heard.

Good choice, may see you there as I'm back in HF next year! It's ideal for the art dept and is 2 mins from the union and about 5 to the art college. Even quicker if you're on the lodges side of HF as there is a shortcut round the back :smile:

Good luck with your accom search!

YES
we are pleased to confirm your accommodation at Robert Bakewell for 2012-13.

despite changing my mind at the very last minute I got in where I wanted and now i'm happy :biggrin:
Reply 1279
Yay got into bakewell!

Latest

Trending

Trending