The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I feel inclined to suggest religious studies.
There aren't any particular requirements to be qualified in brainwashing people or telling people lies.
Reply 3
I'm doing a Theology degree followed by a PGCE.
Original post by Add!ction
I'm doing a Theology degree followed by a PGCE.

how cute
Reply 5
lol someone didn't enjoy RS...
Original post by shanej13
Hey , what a-levels should I do and is their any gcse requirements ? I really want to become a RE teacher.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm honestly not too sure about this - nobody I know intends to become an RE teacher, so please bear with me :redface:

I'd suggest Religious Education (of course :tongue:), Philosophy and Ethics (it seems linked), Sociology (again, somewhat linked to RE), and English Literature (seems like a good essay-based subject to have :smile:).
Reply 7
Original post by Captain Hindsight
how cute

You clearly have no social skills, good luck getting a job.
Reply 8
what level of teaching? for example, to become a maths GCSE teacher you don't even need an A level in maths. If you want to teach RE at GCSE level you could practically study anything at A level (followed by pgce).
Original post by Add!ction
You clearly have no social skills, good luck getting a job.

mhmm, ok, sure. I'm the one who won't be getting a job. Ok theology girl, if you say so.
mhmm, ok, sure. I'm the one who won't be getting a job. Ok theology girl, if you say so.

Now that's just plain rude :sigh:
Look up Religious Education in ucas search. You should find a list of courses, if you click on them then you can find the entry requirements for the courses there.
Reply 12
I guess you'd do a theology degree, followed by a PGCE.
Original post by thegodofgod
Now that's just plain rude :sigh:

I merely highlighted the fact that her degree is somewhat limited in terms of employability, as she suggested that in fact I would be the one who would find it hard to get a job...
She's doing Theology and a PGCE, I can only assume she's going on to teach religious studies or something similar, which is one of the most employable.
I merely highlighted the fact that her degree is somewhat limited in terms of employability, as she suggested that in fact I would be the one who would find it hard to get a job...

Your being an ass.

But there is only one job that I want so it doesn't matter.
Reply 17
OP, you'll need your 5 GCSE grade A* to C including English and Maths.

There aren't any set A levels to become a teacher. However, if you wish to teach R.E/R.S ONE of your choices should be something along the line of religious education/religious studies/theology/philosophy.

The others could be anything really, although a couple of more 'traditional subjects' would be good (for example I did biology AS, geography, sociology and theatre studies A level).

You could then study something R.E based at uni and do a PGCE afterwards.
(edited 11 years ago)
To get on a PGCE course (which leads to you becoming a teacher) you need 5 A*-C inc. English Language and Maths at GCSEs, and a degree in Religious Studies or the equivalent.

To get on to the university course, I'm not sure on A Levels (although I'm guessing R.E would be a good one!) but I'm guessing essay type A Levels in general look good :smile: Have a look at university courses online, they usually give an idea what they want, and this is really good as well for choosing A Levels :tong:

Just like to point out that getting loads of work experience is pretty beneficial too - I think PGCE ask for at least 10 days of teaching experience to get onto the course, and it'll look great as a whole. So don't forget about that! :smile:
I'm sorry (I've never responded to anything online before lol) but I typed in "how to become an RE teacher" into Google and found THIS! Not negatively (or positively) aimed at anyone but the force and clear opposition amazed me.
I'd like to become an RE teacher because I want to teach people what "spirituality" means. We throw facts at kids, show them what different religions beleive, customs they have but don't tell them how this relates to them! We don't tell them they have a choice no matter what anyone (family or not) say!! We don't teach them how to listen to themselves and follow their own instincts!! Surely that's just common sense!!!
Sorry if I have offended by my rant but please don't judge those wanting to teach About religion and personal choice!!!

Xx

Latest

Trending

Trending