The Student Room Group

Options in later life

Hi all, I don't know if I'm posting to the right place but I figure the student room is the best place to ask something like this. I'm currently 18 years old and completing my first year in a health and life science T Level (biomedical science just worded differently).
I'm not enjoying my course at all and every day I have to attend is a stress. I have exams coming up very soon which our teachers haven't prepared us for and on top of that our teachers neglected our work placement so now I have to complete 315 hours within a period 6 months shorter than it should've been.
I'm very tempted to drop out, honestly. My only issue is I don't know what I want to do in the future. Not long ago I wanted to be a biomedical scientist/clinical scientist but I had a taster session and I'm just not interested in the slightest anymore. On top of that, I'm almost certainly failing these exams.
I do have an issue with attendance as well, due to a complete lack of energy and feeling like I can't bring myself to do anything. This is something I'm hopefully getting sorted with the doctors, but as me and my parents are trying to get an ADHD assessment I have no idea how long this will take.
I'm currently in part time work so it's not like I'm completely unproductive, and in fact I do enjoy working there and it doesn't stress me out like school or college have.
I'm worried about my future, honestly. I have no idea what paths are available to me. On one hand I would be very interested in psychology, but then I would also be interested in completing an electrical apprenticeship and becoming an electrician, but also the military is something I'm interested in. All the career paths I'd like to choose are completely different and I'm at a loss.
On one hand, if I drop out now and decide to do mental health nursing or something along the lines, I'd need to re-enrol in college and that would cost be about £3000. On the other hand, I don't want to waste the next year and a half doing something that brings me so much stress.
I'm honestly just confused about what I should do. The thought of going into college makes me feel sick to my stomach but at the same time the thought of dropping out makes me feel sick too. It seems like I'm in a lose lose situation.
I don't know what I'm hoping for from this post, maybe just a little guidance or words of wisdom. Thank you to anyone who read until the end :smile:
Original post by boosep
Hi all, I don't know if I'm posting to the right place but I figure the student room is the best place to ask something like this. I'm currently 18 years old and completing my first year in a health and life science T Level (biomedical science just worded differently).
I'm not enjoying my course at all and every day I have to attend is a stress. I have exams coming up very soon which our teachers haven't prepared us for and on top of that our teachers neglected our work placement so now I have to complete 315 hours within a period 6 months shorter than it should've been.
I'm very tempted to drop out, honestly. My only issue is I don't know what I want to do in the future. Not long ago I wanted to be a biomedical scientist/clinical scientist but I had a taster session and I'm just not interested in the slightest anymore. On top of that, I'm almost certainly failing these exams.
I do have an issue with attendance as well, due to a complete lack of energy and feeling like I can't bring myself to do anything. This is something I'm hopefully getting sorted with the doctors, but as me and my parents are trying to get an ADHD assessment I have no idea how long this will take.
I'm currently in part time work so it's not like I'm completely unproductive, and in fact I do enjoy working there and it doesn't stress me out like school or college have.
I'm worried about my future, honestly. I have no idea what paths are available to me. On one hand I would be very interested in psychology, but then I would also be interested in completing an electrical apprenticeship and becoming an electrician, but also the military is something I'm interested in. All the career paths I'd like to choose are completely different and I'm at a loss.
On one hand, if I drop out now and decide to do mental health nursing or something along the lines, I'd need to re-enrol in college and that would cost be about £3000. On the other hand, I don't want to waste the next year and a half doing something that brings me so much stress.
I'm honestly just confused about what I should do. The thought of going into college makes me feel sick to my stomach but at the same time the thought of dropping out makes me feel sick too. It seems like I'm in a lose lose situation.
I don't know what I'm hoping for from this post, maybe just a little guidance or words of wisdom. Thank you to anyone who read until the end :smile:

I would strongly recommend you speak to someone at your college: be it a careers adviser, a personal tutor, pastoral support, a teacher you trust, etc. They will be best placed to talk things through with you and let you know what the options might be in your specific circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending