The Student Room Group

Which UK universities apart from Oxbridge are comparable to the Ivy Leagues?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spatial_Void

So as one man said;
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge are, IMO, the truly internationally recognized brands.

They are the leading brands but by no means the only internationally recognised brands as we have seen this week. The Chinese agents in the Telegraph this week weren't trying to get people into Harvard, they were trying to get people into Leeds, UEA, Kent and Cardiff.
Original post by Spatial_Void
Most of them would probably mistake Stanford and MIT as Ivies.

So as one man said;
Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge are, IMO, the truly internationally recognized brands.

If you add some of the Ivies such as Dartmouth, you can add Imperial, LSE and UCL. Manchester and St. Andrews would be debatable, I guess.

St Andrews does not have a global reach in terms of prestige and international reputation, from what I've seen abroad, it only has a North American reach

Original post by Astronomical
To be honest Ivy League doesn't mean much to me. The only American universities I'd say "wow" to, if somebody told me they went there, would be Princeton, Harvard and MIT (and CalTech due to one Richard Feynman :tongue:). Stanford, Yale, Cornell would be recieved no differently to UCL or Warwick; by no means bad, but not the very best either.

I can't say I'd be much impressed with any other American university, Ivy League or not. The three I've mentioned I would put on par with Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and LSE in terms of prestige. Who cares if the "layman" hasn't heard of these places; anyone who matters will have.

Seriously? Stanford and Yale are not really comparable to Warwick and UCL... Yale and Stanford are part of the very best i.e (HYSP) maybe you're confusing them with another US college. Stanford and Yale are superior to LSE and Imperial in terms of global prestige and recognition and on par with all top American schools bar Harvard.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Seriously? Stanford and Yale are not really comparable to Warwick and UCL... Yale and Stanford are part of the very best i.e (HYSP) maybe you're confusing them with another US college. Stanford and Yale are superior to LSE and Imperial in terms of global prestige and recognition and on par with all top American schools bar Harvard.

I'm certainly not confusing them. :curious:

If I had offers to go to Yale, Stanford or UCL, my order of preference would be Stanford, UCL, then Yale. I don't think Yale carries all that much prestige at all with the "layman".

With respect to the "big players" my preferences would be Cambridge, MIT, Harvard, Oxford, Imperial, then finally Princeton. I think anyone remotely interested in academia would have heard of all of these and have similar "respect" for them.

If I had offers to go to Yale, Stanford or UCL, my order of preference would be Stanford, UCL, then Yale. I don't think Yale carries all that much prestige at all with the "layman".

And you think UCL does? Not sure I've met anyone who would say UCL is more prestigious than Yale, considering that its reputation in the US is dubious to say the least. If we're talking about the 'layman' I still don't see how UCL or even Imperial would appear any more prestigious than Yale.
Original post by Tsunami2011
And you think UCL does? Not sure I've met anyone who would say UCL is more prestigious than Yale, considering that its reputation in the US is dubious to say the least. If we're talking about the 'layman' I still don't see how UCL or even Imperial would appear any more prestigious than Yale.

UCL and Yale are on par to the extent that they offer the option to switch between the two institutes on some of their courses. That is, some UCL students get to go to Yale for a year, and vice versa.

I don't think UCL is more reputable than Yale, that was my point it. They're about the same; a "layman" would be as likely to have heard of either, but probably won't have.
Original post by OSharp
To be honest I've only ever really heard of Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Brown.

Princeton? Columbia?

Also, Stanford isn't part of the Ivy League.
I've never heard of any Ivy League universities apart from Harvard and Yale, so Ivy League doesn't mean much to me.
Original post by nulli tertius
It has been front page news all over the States.

Clearly the brand is not as big as HYP, MIT, Stanford or Oxbridge, but it is an international brand in the way that the University of Michigan or University of Texas or the University of North Carolina (and I have deliberately chosen these-not just picked 3 state names) aren't. Remember, a lot of older people still associate it with the Kennedys.

But the States isn't international for UVA. I do understand that it is an international brand, as are many other US universities. However my post was referring to universities which are immediately recognisable as globally prestigious institutions. They have a certain wow factor, and are valued by employers all over the world.
Reply 48
deleted.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
London Metropolitan

With respect to the "big players" my preferences would be Cambridge, MIT, Harvard, Oxford, Imperial, then finally Princeton. I think anyone remotely interested in academia would have heard of all of these and have similar "respect" for them.

Yale carries far more prestige with the layman than UCL. It is one of the big 3 ivies (along with Havard and Princeton).

Original post by L.O.V.E.
Everyone always forgets the West coast, surely UC-Berkely, UCLA, Caltech ?

They aren't considered to be on the level of HYSP and MIT. Although, they are probably more internationally recognised than some of the top 10/top 15 unis in the UK.
Original post by beaver_tron
HAHA, the OP asked for a comparable establishment/group, the russel group Unis are the best research unis in the UK, and the world. The russel group is the obvious comparison to them.

The IVY league doesnt even include all of the best american universities anyway.

And again, the Russell Group is not a valid comparison because a number of unis do not compare to the standard of the Ivy League unis.

Could you really see York, Exeter, Queen Mary, Queen's University Belfast and Liverpool as part of the Ivy League?

The only thing comparable to the Ivy League in the UK is the Golden Triangle.
I'm certainly not confusing them. :curious:If I had offers to go to Yale, Stanford or UCL, my order of preference would be Stanford, UCL, then Yale. I don't think Yale carries all that much prestige at all with the "layman".

Are you kidding me? Most people have heard of Yale (even in the UK) and if you told them you studies at Yale you would most certainly receive an 'oooooooo'.

I don't know many British layman who are aware of the prestige of UCL.
Reply 53
Original post by Mierder
I'm currently an international student interested in applying to both sides of the atlantic for university. I was wondering apart from Oxbridge, which British universities can compete with the Ivy League schools in terms of:

-Teaching Quality
-Job prospects (in general)
-International Prestige/Reputation/wow factor (whatever you wanna call it)

LSE, UCL, Imperial are the main ones that spring to mind.
Places like Durham, St andrews, Edinburgh are probably up there to :smile:
Original post by nulli tertius
They are the leading brands but by no means the only internationally recognised brands as we have seen this week. The Chinese agents in the Telegraph this week weren't trying to get people into Harvard, they were trying to get people into Leeds, UEA, Kent and Cardiff.

I didn't say only, I said truly... In other words, they are most recognized brands across the globe.
Original post by fudgesundae
Yale carries far more prestige with the layman than UCL. It is one of the big 3 ivies (along with Havard and Princeton).

They aren't considered to be on the level of HYSP and MIT. Although, they are probably more internationally recognised than some of the top 10/top 15 unis in the UK.

Not in my opinion, it doesn't. The British layman no is more likely to have heard of Yale than the American layman is to have heard of UCL.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lord-Voldemort
Are you kidding me? Most people have heard of Yale (even in the UK) and if you told them you studies at Yale you would most certainly receive an 'oooooooo'.

I don't know many British layman who are aware of the prestige of UCL.

I've never met one person in the UK who has heard of Yale. Whenever they see it in world rankings, everyone says "who the heck are Yale? :curious:"

On the other hand most people I speak to know of UCL.
I've never met one person in the UK who has heard of Yale. Whenever they see it in world rankings, everyone says "who the heck are Yale? :curious:"

On the other hand most people I speak to know of UCL.

Strange. I would say the opposite. I guess it's all anecdotal. Do you live in London? That might explain why UCL is more well-known.

Yale has more media exposure than UCL I would say, with films about the Skull and Bones, etc.
Reply 58
I like this thread.

I too wish to impress the layman that knows little about universities. Getting an 'oooooo' from him makes my university career worthwhile. What people who know about departments and academics think, or what I have been taught is of secondary importance to what the bloke outside McDonald's knows of universities in other countries.

Please, continue.
Not in my opinion, it doesn't. The British layman is more likely to have heard of Yale than the American layman is to have heard of UCL.

Exactly. So Yale is more well known.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending