The Student Room Group

Girls underestimating their size.

I went out recently and a friend of mine congratulated me on my weight loss and said 'So what are you now? Like a size 8!?'. I'm not at all, I'm a size 12 (10 in a forgiving shop). This set me wondering as to why she had underestimated my size so much and I realised (after some other stuff she said) that it's because she underestimates her own size. She squeezes herself into a ten when she's more like a 12/14 and that's why she assumed I must be so much smaller.
I have many other friends that do the same and I just don't get it. If you're a size 14 who buys a size 14 you'll look lovely, if you're a size 14 who buys a size 10 you'll probably look 10x bigger than you are and look horrible.
I know it doesn't affect me as such but it does annoy me. Nobody has to know your size. Why do it?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree. I have a friend who refuses to buy anything bigger than a 10 which means she can't buy any new jeans because she's a 12. :/ She also shops in shops that have vanity sizing deliberately. I don't understand why. My wardrobe has everything from a size 6 to a size 14 even though I know I'm a 10 on average because I'd rather worry about it fitting how I want it to than panicking because it's a 'big size'.
No matter what someone's size is like they look their best in well fitting clothes.

I've found the opposite. For example, a friend of mine is trying to drop some weight. Six months ago she said I was an ideal size and guessed I was a size 10. I was actually underweight at the time. She thought I was healthy and overestimated me. I think it depends on the person's mindset.
Y-U-NO-MEME_4.jpg
Reply 4
I hate it when people wear too small clothes!! Nothing worse than muffin tops and shorts pinching in at the fat on girls thighs.

I dug out a pair of old black skinnies for an interview the other week as nothing else was clean and it was the most painful piece of clothing I've ever worn! I literally had bruises on my hips, can't imagine why people would want to do that on a regular basis.
probably because if i ever had to buy something size 14.... i would... i don't even know... that would be sooo depressing and horrible....

edit - wow some people are oversensative... to clear it up i do not think size 14, in general, is fat... my TALL friend is size 14 and she is thinner than me... for most people it is normal. however with the way my body is, if i were size 14, then that would mean i would be fat.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I own clothes from XS to XL, but I'm normally a 10 or 12. I completely agree, you can make yourself look a lot worse than you are by wearing clothes that don't fit.
I know people who do this and I don't see why either - although I guess it might make them feel good to think they're a smaller size than they actually are?

I actually do the opposite: I can fit into a size six skirt/trousers/jeans but I prefer to buy an eight and just go for elasticated waistbands or use a good belt.

A couple of years ago I got fed-up of seeing my best friend wear clothes that she was spilling out of (people even made fun of her behind her back for it) and dragged her shopping to find something that suited her figure better - and she thanked me for it. It's not like she was even big (10-12): she just wasn't wearing the right sort of clothing and it made her look big. And even just looking big often leads to low self-esteem.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kate1212
I went out recently and a friend of mine congratulated me on my weight loss and said 'So what are you now? Like a size 8!?'. I'm not at all, I'm a size 12 (10 in a forgiving shop). This set me wondering as to why she had underestimated my size so much and I realised (after some other stuff she said) that it's because she underestimates her own size. She squeezes herself into a ten when she's more like a 12/14 and that's why she assumed I must be so much smaller.
I have many other friends that do the same and I just don't get it. If you're a size 14 who buys a size 14 you'll look lovely, if you're a size 14 who buys a size 10 you'll probably look 10x bigger than you are and look horrible.
I know it doesn't affect me as such but it does annoy me. Nobody has to know your size. Why do it?!

Females generally under-estimate their size because they want to be slimmer, just like males generally over-estimate their height because they want to be taller. Nothing new there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2174793/Claire-Richards-proves-fine-weight-wearing-skinny-jeans.html This woman is apparently a size 16 :rolleyes:
Reply 9
I vary between size 14-18 in clothes. I even have a size 8 dress (I don't understand how either, but it actually fits without looking ridiculous somehow). I'd rather go bigger in things like jeans and shorts as I have wide hips and a backside like Nicki Minaj. I'd never try and squeeze myself into a 14 just so I maintained my 'average' size, I'd rather be comfortable and not spilling over my clothes or looking pregnant in dresses.
I'm the opposite I always buy clothes that are too big for me. I always think I'm a size 12/14 on top and my mum always pulls me up for it saying I should be buying more 10/12 as the baggier clothes makes me look bigger than I am.
Original post by megan.c
I hate it when people wear too small clothes!! Nothing worse than muffin tops and shorts pinching in at the fat on girls thighs.

I dug out a pair of old black skinnies for an interview the other week as nothing else was clean and it was the most painful piece of clothing I've ever worn! I literally had bruises on my hips, can't imagine why people would want to do that on a regular basis.

TOTALLY agree. I know someone who is in total denial over their size. I went through her wardrobe the other day (we were looking for a cute outfit, I wasn't being nosy :P) and there are clothes in there that are a size 12 and she is at least a 16. She is always pulling her tops down because they ride up. People do the "I'll by it a size smaller and lose weight" thing too and then it never happens and they wear it anyway/stretch it out.

I do think sometimes people will under/over estimate to make the other person feel better or more confident. I don't mind that so much I guess. It's when people then try to wear that size and I think awh mah lorrd.
Well they seem to overestimate male sizes, I'm a 34 waist and a girl mate said she saw a nice pair of jeans and was going to buy them for me because they were on sale but didn't know if I was a 38 or 40 waist and they only went up to a 38! :lolwut:

Instant deflation of my ego! She did appoligise and just said I looked a 40 because I'm muscly but I suspect she was just trying to flatter me and make me feel better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Not just girls. I notice (most often Primark tbh) that I have to get 1 maybe 2 sizes bigger than other shops. It can be rather annoying.
I'm anything from 10-16. Different shops have different sizes, I find I can easily fit a 10-12 in New Look but River Island it's more like 14-16. It's vanity sizing. I don't know my actual size, I'm average build so I'd probably say 14. Tbh I don't mind wearing any size as long as it's flattering and fits me well. I'd rather hear 'that looks nice on you' when wearing a size 14-16 than have to tell someone 'It's a 10!' when spilling out of something...
It can be really hard to guess people's dress sizes, for a number of reasons. Height is the main one (I think so, anyway) e.g. a short girl who's a size 12 will look quite a lot different from a tall girl who's the same dress size. Unless your friend is a really similar build to you, maybe that's part of the reason? :dontknow: And there's the issue of say, a size 12 in one shop being totally different to a size 12 in another.

I just buy clothes that fit, if I need a bigger size I'll get one. I can see why some people get a bit obsessed with trying to fit into certain sizes, and it can be a bit disheartening when you need to buy a size bigger than you usually would.

Nobody is looking at you thinking ''ooo you bought size 12 jeans this week instead of size 8, omg!'' If people really care about the size on the label, just cut it out. Simples! :ninja:
Reply 16
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Not just girls. I notice (most often Primark tbh) that I have to get 1 maybe 2 sizes bigger than other shops. It can be rather annoying.

If I ever go to Primark its for shoes and jewellery, maybe the occasional top. Nothing fits my bottom half in there and I'm not even that big.
It's sad that people care so much about the number on the label. You're not actually any skinnier if you're a 12 but manage to squeeze into an 8. :no: I mean cut the lable off if it bothers you that much!

I think it would help if there was some kind of standard across the board when it comes to sizing though. I take a 10/12 but have everything from 8s that are loose on me to 14s that are tight on me in my cupboard. :s-smilie:
If you wear clothes that are too small you just look so much bigger, no matter what size you are. I'm generally a six in everything but comes the odd occasion where I need an 8. If I wore the six anyway, I'd look fat, even tho a six obviously isn't. It's just the way it is.

See so many people with muffin tops tho :frown:
Original post by LeaX
I agree. I have a friend who refuses to buy anything bigger than a 10 which means she can't buy any new jeans because she's a 12. :/ She also shops in shops that have vanity sizing deliberately. I don't understand why. My wardrobe has everything from a size 6 to a size 14 even though I know I'm a 10 on average because I'd rather worry about it fitting how I want it to than panicking because it's a 'big size'.

yeah but you are runnign the risk of getting a reputation as the girl who wears big clothes and doesnt watch her figure.

Quick Reply

Latest