The Student Room Group

Does HL Maths = Further Maths?

I'm in the midst of choosing my IB subjects, and I just want to know if I can take HL Maths if I haven't done my (I)GCSE for Additional Mathematics? Lots of people equate HL Maths with Further Maths - is that the case? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Doing igcse add maths will definitely help you but most people who take maths hl don't have it. It's not equal to further maths a level but it's definitely harder than maths a level.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Original post by gernumbli-gardensi
I'm in the midst of choosing my IB subjects, and I just want to know if I can take HL Maths if I haven't done my (I)GCSE for Additional Mathematics? Lots of people equate HL Maths with Further Maths - is that the case? :confused:

HL Maths is sort of "in between" A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths. More content than the normal A-Level Maths, but less than Further Maths.

IGCSE Additional Maths would be helpful, but not really necessary. I'm not 100% sure on how IB works, but do you have to pick the subjects you're taking to HL now? Can't you wait and see how you find SL Maths, before making your choice?
Original post by justinawe
HL Maths is sort of "in between" A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths. More content than the normal A-Level Maths, but less than Further Maths.

IGCSE Additional Maths would be helpful, but not really necessary. I'm not 100% sure on how IB works, but do you have to pick the subjects you're taking to HL now? Can't you wait and see how you find SL Maths, before making your choice?

The school I'm applying to needs me to specify my HL and SL subjects, though I might be able to change my mind later on. I'm about as clueless as you are :biggrin: Thanks so much though!
Original post by sellerofdreams
Doing igcse add maths will definitely help you but most people who take maths hl don't have it. It's not equal to further maths a level but it's definitely harder than maths a level.

Thanks :smile: I really needed to get things cleared up about that lol
Reply 5
Math HL is definitely more difficult than A-Level Further Math...

You don't need Additional Math but it is helpful. Most people haven't taken it though
Original post by c.anez
Math HL is definitely more difficult than A-Level Further Math...

You don't need Additional Math but it is helpful. Most people haven't taken it though

Most people tend to say that Maths HL content is in between Maths and Further Maths A-level - though some sources disagree. To cover all the bases, there's always Further Maths IB course though!
Original post by logiadoevus
Most people tend to say that Maths HL content is in between Maths and Further Maths A-level - though some sources disagree. To cover all the bases, there's always Further Maths IB course though!

I don't take additional maths now, so I won't be able to deal with the IB further maths D: Just thinking about whether I should go for the HL math :confused:

I've just started teaching IB Higher Level Maths. I'd say the content equates to C1-C4 + FP1 + S1 plus a couple of extra modules depending on which IB option you pick. But the style of question is different. It's a bit like AEA - drawing on more than one topic at a time and needing more problem solving.

So roughly A level Maths + AS Further but with tougher questions.
Original post by ian.slater
I've just started teaching IB Higher Level Maths. I'd say the content equates to C1-C4 + FP1 + S1 plus a couple of extra modules depending on which IB option you pick. But the style of question is different. It's a bit like AEA - drawing on more than one topic at a time and needing more problem solving.

So roughly A level Maths + AS Further but with tougher questions.

Would someone without any experience in additional mathematics whatsoever have a tough time?
Would someone without any experience in additional mathematics whatsoever have a tough time?

I find add maths really hard now, so I suppose you would find hl maths really hard. But if you work at it I'm sure you'll be fine.

You might have a bit more work to do because your teacher may go over some introductory material quickly. But you should be OK if you're happy to catch up.
Reply 12

In our school, our recommendation for taking Math HL is getting C or above in IGCSE Additional Maths. If you have taken it, the first few chapters will literally be revision. However, I have a friend who didn't do Add. Maths and still took Math HL, and as of now he's coping quite well. So it certainly helps to have done Add. Maths, but I wouldn't regard it as essential. Perhaps you could self-study a bit of Add. Maths? That's what my friend did during the summer.

Do you know which covers more content/which is tougher IB further mathematics HL or CIE further mathematics?I want to study mathematics in university. Therefore my goal is to learn as much as mathematics possible "in depth" and become as good as possible. Which is a better option? I will choose either IB or CIE based on this. My target universities are Cambridge, Harvard and Princeton.

Which is better and covers more content IB further maths HL or CIE further maths? Which teaches more in depth and breadth?

I want to study mathematics in university. Therefore, I want to study as much mathematics as possible "in depth" and breadth. Which is better for learning? Which can teach me more mathematics?

My target universities are Cambridge, Harvard and Princeton.
Original post by Mathfreak3455
Which is better and covers more content IB further maths HL or CIE further maths? Which teaches more in depth and breadth?

I want to study mathematics in university. Therefore, I want to study as much mathematics as possible "in depth" and breadth. Which is better for learning? Which can teach me more mathematics?

I don't know much about CIE but IB HL Further Maths is one of the most rigorous mathematics course you can do in the world. Essentially, it's IB HL Maths + all of the options, I doubt you can go wrong with that.

If CIE is anything like A Level FM then it's nowhere near the standard of IB FM.
Original post by oniisanitstoobig
I don't know much about CIE but IB HL Further Maths is one of the most rigorous mathematics course you can do in the world. Essentially, it's IB HL Maths + all of the options, I doubt you can go wrong with that.

If CIE is anything like A Level FM then it's nowhere near the standard of IB FM.

Thank you so much
I feel terribly inadequate reading this thread, only doing the normal maths A-level as well as further maths sometime down the road XD.
Original post by Mathfreak3455

If you're planning to take math at uni, consider doing the AIME. It really helps if you get selected for USAMO or IMO. (if you live in the US).
If you're British, I think you have to appear for the British Math Olympiad. Not very sure what the procedure is. You can also apply for Ross mathcamp, MIT Primes(if you live near Boston) etc.
Original post by theo_
If you're planning to take math at uni, consider doing the AIME. It really helps if you get selected for USAMO or IMO. (if you live in the US).
If you're British, I think you have to appear for the British Math Olympiad. Not very sure what the procedure is. You can also apply for Ross mathcamp, MIT Primes(if you live near Boston) etc.

BMO1 and BMO2? Hell no! That sh*t is truly for the best. Most university mathematicians probably don't need that. They can enter for the Senior Maths Challenge (basically the doorway exam to BMO1), but I am doubtful over how much of an advantage it really gives a student that isn't applying to Oxbridge (and even then, STEP and the MAT probably do their job well in the admissions process).
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending