The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love the Pats throwback uniform.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I love the Pats throwback uniform.

We're playing pretty awfully the offense in particular.
I don't believe the Pats are going to throw it away again. What is GOING ON??!
How the **** did we win that game?!? That was unreal we need to wake the hell up or we aint going no where. Thank god i almost cried.
Reply 4524
If anyone's watching Sky now, any idea what happened to Cecil Martin's face? He looks like his Bells Palsy has come back or he's had a stroke.
Left Josh Freeman and Doug Martin on the bench in my league. 60 points combined FFS.
Original post by Wattsy
If anyone's watching Sky now, any idea what happened to Cecil Martin's face? He looks like his Bells Palsy has come back or he's had a stroke.

He actually has Bell's palsy how bad do you feel? Haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hey - The Patriot here (thread starter). I got locked out of my old account and can't recover the password unfortunately. But I'm back :biggrin:

Can't wait until the game tomorrow. I'm going with my uncle who is a Rams fan. Before the season we joked about it being a blow out, but we might actually see a competitive game this time!

Also, I've been putting between £2-£4 accumulators on with skybet and making quite a bit of money. If anybody here knows a lot about american football you should do it. Throw in a couple of spread bets and you can win 3 or 4 digits!
Original post by Authority_Song
Hey - The Patriot here (thread starter). I got locked out of my old account and can't recover the password unfortunately. But I'm back :biggrin:

Can't wait until the game tomorrow. I'm going with my uncle who is a Rams fan. Before the season we joked about it being a blow out, but we might actually see a competitive game this time!

Also, I've been putting between £2-£4 accumulators on with skybet and making quite a bit of money. If anybody here knows a lot about american football you should do it. Throw in a couple of spread bets and you can win 3 or 4 digits!

Il be looking out for you tomorrow :ninja: Cannot wait for it! What are you all bringing in terms of inventory wise? Im thinking a Camera, Binoculars, Ticket (duhh), Money. What else is there that one might bring?

Made 86 pounds on the accumalators last week as well :grin:
Original post by johnharris19944
Il be looking out for you tomorrow :ninja: Cannot wait for it! What are you all bringing in terms of inventory wise? Im thinking a Camera, Binoculars, Ticket (duhh), Money. What else is there that one might bring?

Made 86 pounds on the accumalators last week as well :grin:

WOOHOO! I LOVE MONEY!

aside from the nasty downward spiral that is gambling, I'm taking my face, money, tickets, and a desire to see Brady ruin that Rams D. Nothing else I can say really. If you've never been to wembley before, you'd be surprised at how well you can see the pitch and the players from pretty much anywhere.
WOOHOO! I LOVE MONEY!

aside from the nasty downward spiral that is gambling, I'm taking my face, money, tickets, and a desire to see Brady ruin that Rams D. Nothing else I can say really. If you've never been to wembley before, you'd be surprised at how well you can see the pitch and the players from pretty much anywhere.

Yeah this is my first time going to Wembley haha so im pretty nervous. Is it worth bringing a Sharpie pen incase i see anyone of note ? :tongue:
Original post by johnharris19944
Yeah this is my first time going to Wembley haha so im pretty nervous. Is it worth bringing a Sharpie pen incase i see anyone of note ? :tongue:

May as well I guess, but the likelihood is super low to be honest.
Giants-Cowboys was a crazy game. Cowboys really shouldn't have had a shot at winning it after all their turnovers and what an amazing effort by Bryant on the disallowed TD. I jumped out of my seat when he caught it. Shame he was a few centimetres out of bounds.
Reply 4533
I went to watch the NFL today and my god was it ****ing boring! Definitely a sport only to be viewed on television. It goes on for so long ans almost nothing happens, the game is so secondary to the ****e that surrounds it that there is no instruction as to when the game is restarting :lolwut:

I actually got off not long after the 3rd quarter started because it was so mind numbingly boring and I was quite suprised that the tube was nearly full with people also leaving.

Watching the actual match is boring as well as there is no flow at all to anything and the tv commercial break moments really destroy any momentum and atmosphere in the ground.
It was amazing absolutely loved it, Tailgate was incredible and met some cool people haha. Also Pats won :grin:
Original post by Mess.
QFA

As a patriots fan, yesterday was awesome.

However, for a neutral fan, or someone being introduced to the sport, and consequently for the NFL; it was an absolute disaster.

It's a real shame that this was your first impression of american football, and I hope you may eventually reconsider.

The problems were as follows:

- The game wasn't competitive, so by the second half there was a distinct lack of effort from both teams making it a rather boring contest.

- The Rams fans were hopelessly outnumbered, meaning that even though it was a home game for them, there was just no real support for them, so it felt like a game at a neutral ground (which it was, but shouldn't have felt like).

- Too many neutral fans were there meaning they didn't give a **** who won, and were up and out of their seats top get food 24/7, ruining the concentration of those of us glued to it.

- There was no atmosphere whatsoever, which is a result of neither team being a home team, only about 20% of the fans really caring who won, and there being no contest between the teams after the first 10 minutes. When the Rams scored that first TD the crowd went pretty wild, and even more so when the Patriots tied it up, but after that it got stale fast.

- The NFL made a massive mistake in bothering to bring a team completely outmatched by the other in order to sell it to the UK. It's like the English Premier League taking Arsenal to crush QPR, nobody wants to see that. If you want a real good reaction from the fans, take 2 great, even matched teams and lets see a real bloody game! Not the utter obliteration we just saw.

- As for the part about it being secondary, that comes from understanding the game. When you understand exactly what's going on and what's about to happen, then the waiting between plays and the ads isn't a problem. But again, this was no way to sell it to the new fans like yourself.

I'm really regretful that this was your, and thousands upon thousands of others' first experience of american football proper. When played properly, in a good atmosphere, crucially in a good game, it's the best sport. This "exhibition" was a disaster for the NFL and has done it's international rep no favours whatsoever. Ask yourself this, of the tens of thousands who had their first experience here, how many are going to fork out to come back again? Not many I tell you that.
x

Good way of summing it up. My thoughts exactly. There are considerably more Pats fans over here than any other team, it should have been clear Rams would not have much support for their "home game".

Looking forward to Vikings vs. Steelers next year, that should hopefully be a bit more balanced both in terms of players and fans.
I've never been and I don't think I ever will. I just don't see the point. If you're a casual fan the TV coverage is better because it focuses in on the exciting stuff, and if you're serious about knowing what's going on you need to watch the All-22 tape more than once anyway because you won't take in the coverage, pressure, protection, route concepts and techniques in 3 seconds no matter who you are. Games are only fun to watch when they're close, so I just get a streaming site, watch the Jets for entertainment, then in the second half go on NFL.com to check which game is closest and watch that one.

Also if you never watch more than half a game at once you never get tempted to have stupid opinions about stuff you need All-22 tape to understand anyway.
It's like the English Premier League taking Arsenal to crush QPR, nobody wants to see that.

Bad example :lol:
Original post by manchesterunited15
Bad example :lol:

Well yeah ok, 1-0 is hardly a crushing haha. Replace with team that actually crushes others :L

Latest