The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Clinical Sciences at the University of Bradford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Anaiza
Hi, I wanted some advice on medicine. I really want to become a paediatric, but I don't have the grades. So I'm applying for pharmacy but after doing some research and reading this I'm guessing I can still do it? Please could you help me. I'm applying for pharmacy next year and I have some offers already. How or what do I do to get onto medicine. Could somebody email me some advice on: [Removed - please use PMs or post here]
I would really really be so thankful for anyone that would give me a direction.

Last year clinical sciences was in clearing so there is a pretty high chance that it willbe this year too. You have a few options if you still want to get on to this course or do medicine.

1. You can carry on applying for pharmacy get your offers
but when it comes to firming your choices turn them all down and hope that clinical sciences is in clearing and apply to this course during clearing.

2.Either that or firm and insure your pharmacy choices and on results day if you make the grades for your firm ring them up and ask them to release you and then apply for clinical sciences but this can take time. And in that time the places might be filled for clinical sciences at Bradford leaving you with no university this year because you will have turned down your pharmacy offers with the hope of getting a place on this course but then not get a place on this course.

3. Get your head down get 3A's. Take a gap year. Apply to medicine again in your gap year. And hope to get an offer.

4. Graduate entry medicine is also an option. However this is more competitive than undergrad.

This does
beg me to question if you are so set on medicine why apply to pharmacy?

If you did a little more research before applying to pharmacy you would know that there are foundation years available at several medical schools which would still consider you if you never had straight A's.

However if you do get on to this course you should be warned it is extremely competitive. There are about a 100 students that want to transfer and only 20 can transfer to Leeds medical school.
(edited 11 years ago)
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 81
Original post by KJKA
Last year clinical sciences was in clearing so there is a pretty high chance that it willbe this year too. You have a few options if you still want to get on to this course or do medicine.

1. You can carry on applying for pharmacy get your offers
but when it comes to firming your choices turn them all down and hope that clinical sciences is in clearing and apply to this course during clearing.

2.Either that or firm and insure your pharmacy choices and on results day if you make the grades for your firm ring them up and ask them to release you and then apply for clinical sciences but this can take time. And in that time the places might be filled for clinical sciences at Bradford leaving you with no university this year because you will have turned down your pharmacy offers with the hope of getting a place on this course but then not get a place on this course.

3. Get your head down get 3A's. Take a gap year. Apply to medicine again in your gap year. And hope to get an offer.

4. Graduate entry medicine is also an option. However this is more competitive than undergrad.

This does
beg me to question if you are so set on medicine why apply to pharmacy?

If you did a little more research before applying to pharmacy you would know that there are foundation years available at several medical schools which would still consider you if you never had straight A's.

However if you do get on to this course you should be warned it is extremely competitive. There are about a 100 students that want to transfer and only 20 can transfer to Leeds medical school.

i never knew or thought that a degree as hard as medicine would still havea foundation route! :frown: ive heard that you can transfer to medicine after doing your first year in pharmacy by achieving higher than 70% ?? is that true. i wont be able to get the three A's
Reply 82
Original post by Anaiza
i never knew or thought that a degree as hard as medicine would still havea foundation route! :frown: ive heard that you can transfer to medicine after doing your first year in pharmacy by achieving higher than 70% ?? is that true. i wont be able to get the three A's

Fair enough. There are a few foundation routes available. You'll have to look them up if you're interested but there isn't much point now as you've applied unless you are thinking of applying next year via a foundation degree which would be risky as you may or may not get in and then may or may not advance to the actual medicine course.

No you can't. Somebody probably got it confused you can advance to pharmacy from clinical sciences with 70% average across all modules.

It's worth a try. Do plenty past papers request you papers back analyse where you went wrong and what to improve improve revision methods etc..

It's worth noting that all this course guarantees you is a interview for Leeds medical school if you achieve 70%. It doesn't guarantee you a place at the medical school. That depends on the interview.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by KJKA
Fair enough. There are a few foundation routes available. You'll have to look them up if you're interested but there isn't much point now as you've applied unless you are thinking of applying next year via a foundation degree which would be risky as you may or may not get in and then may or may not advance to the actual medicine course.

No you can't. Somebody probably got it confused you can advance to pharmacy from clinical sciences with 70% average across all modules.

It's worth a try. Do plenty past papers request you papers back analyse where you went wrong and what to improve improve revision methods etc..

im already doing my third year at college. doing another year is definetley not an option. on results day i could always ring the unis to see if they have vacancys for the clinical science courses and still keep hold onto my pharmacy offers. im sure i can do that?

what are the entry requirements for clinical science generally?
Reply 84
Original post by KJKA

It's worth noting that all this course guarantees you is a interview for Leeds medical school if you achieve 70%. It doesn't guarantee you a place at the medical school. That depends on the interview.

and is Leeds the only uni which allows transfers?? :O
Reply 85
Original post by Anaiza
im already doing my third year at college. doing another year is definetley not an option. on results day i could always ring the unis to see if they have vacancys for the clinical science courses and still keep hold onto my pharmacy offers. im sure i can do that?

I'd
apply to bradford with the mindset of wanting to do the degree, because if not, then youre stuck unless you drop out, or do the foundation year alone.
How about medicine abroad? I'm doing that as well, just incase I dont get AAA.
BBB for clinical science three year degree
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Anaiza

Yes you can but they won't hold a place for you.
So say you have a place for pharmacy. You ring up bradford and they have some spaces free when you ring up but to apply you must be released from your course which can take varying amounts of time (It took a friend of mine 3 weeks to be released) and by that time the place could be gone. Leaving you with no course. And it's up to the university if they want to release you. They are under no obligation to so if they want to be mean they can just refuse to release you.

Pretty low it's on their website. I think they've gone up this year but still relatively low. If you have the grades for pharmacy you have the grades for this course.
Reply 87
Original post by Anaiza
and is Leeds the only uni which allows transfers?? :O

Yes.
Reply 88
Original post by MedMed12
I'd
apply to bradford with the mindset of wanting to do the degree, because if not, then youre stuck unless you drop out, or do the foundation year alone.
How about medicine abroad? I'm doing that as well, just incase I dont get AAA.

but its a bit late to apply for the clinical course? abroad? where? i wouldn't want to do study in an unknown country
Reply 89
Original post by KJKA
Yes you can but they won't hold a place for you.
So say you have a place for pharmacy. You ring up bradford and they have some spaces free when you ring up but to apply you must be released from your course which can take varying amounts of time (It took a friend of mine 3 weeks to be released) and by that time the place could be gone. Leaving you with no course. And it's up to the university if they want to release you. They are under no obligation to so if they want to be mean they can just refuse to release you.

Pretty low it's on their website. I think they've gone up this year but still relatively low. If you have the grades for pharmacy you have the grades for this course.

oh great! i thought i could still hold that place for pharmacy apply for clinical and if i dont get in then keep my place. i guess its not all sunshine and flowers :/ now im really lost
Reply 90
Original post by Anaiza
oh great! i thought i could still hold that place for pharmacy apply for clinical and if i dont get in then keep my place. i guess its not all sunshine and flowers :/ now im really lost

Yep unfortunately. How long has it been since you've sent off your application? You may still be able to change a choice to clinical sciences. I think it's known as the cooling period or something within which you are allow to change your choices.

Where you applying for pharmacy if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 91
Original post by Anaiza
but its a bit late to apply for the clinical course? abroad? where? i wouldn't want to do study in an unknown country

no its not - deadline is 31st jan
and secondly, anywhere. I'm applying in Europe (its GMC registered and can practice here)
hmm true, but I guess its the 'beggars cant be choosers situation' I only want to do medicine,so i'd go abroad than settle for something else and graduate is too long for me sadly.
Reply 92
Original post by MedMed12
no its not - deadline is 31st jan
and secondly, anywhere. I'm applying in Europe (its GMC registered and can practice here)
hmm true, but I guess its the 'beggars cant be choosers situation' I only want to do medicine,so i'd go abroad than settle for something else and graduate is too long for me sadly.

id be too home sick by moving out and staying in uni never mind being in a totally different and unknown country. but good luck to you :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by KJKA
Yep unfortunately. How long has it been since you've sent off your application? You may still be able to change a choice to clinical sciences. I think it's known as the cooling period or something within which you are allow to change your choices.

i applied in october so i think i'm way too late to change my options (n)
ive applied to hudds, bradford twice, uclan and manchester rejection from manchester :'(
offer from hudds
interview from bradford and uclan

i got into hudds and uclan last year so i knew i would get in this year. it was manchester i was counting on so im hoping they'll be in clearing. if not then :/

im a lost cause as you can tell
Reply 94
Original post by KJKA

im looking at some stuff on ucas and i had an idea...

graduate entrys are available in b'ham, bristol, london, leicester etc. which are 4 years. so i was thinking do a degree which is 2-3 years science related. get a degree then apply for the graduates entry. because most uni's want a 2:1 which isnt bad i thought it would be a first class.. now i just need to find a degree thats short but will still qualify to get me onto the graduate entry course?
Reply 95
Original post by Anaiza
im looking at some stuff on ucas and i had an idea...

graduate entrys are available in b'ham, bristol, london, leicester etc. which are 4 years. so i was thinking do a degree which is 2-3 years science related. get a degree then apply for the graduates entry. because most uni's want a 2:1 which isnt bad i thought it would be a first class.. now i just need to find a degree thats short but will still qualify to get me onto the graduate entry course?

Graduate entry medicine is always an option buy you'll have to look up the financing for them. It's slightly different to undergraduate degrees. Student finance will help you out a little but some of the costs will have to be paid by you. Graduate entry is also much more competitive that undergraduate medicine. And you'll have to be committed to the degree for 3 years which can be hard seen as though you don't really want to be there and are just using it as a stepping stone.
If you look under the medicine sub topic on this forum there is a really useful wiki that will help you out a lot.
Reply 96
Original post by Anaiza
i applied in october so i think i'm way too late to change my options (n)
ive applied to hudds, bradford twice, uclan and manchester rejection from manchester :'(
offer from hudds
interview from bradford and uclan

i got into hudds and uclan last year so i knew i would get in this year. it was manchester i was counting on so im hoping they'll be in clearing. if not then :/

im a lost cause as you can tell

How did you apply to bradford twice? Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it is extremely unlikely Manchester will be in clearing for pharmacy.

Try ringing up bradford and asking if they can transfer you to clinical sciences foundation year at bradford. It's worth a shot.
Reply 97
Original post by KJKA
How did you apply to bradford twice? Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it is extremely unlikely Manchester will be in clearing for pharmacy.

Try ringing up bradford and asking if they can transfer you to clinical sciences foundation year at bradford. It's worth a shot.

they were in clearing last year? so im hoping they will be this year, i applied for the sandwich course and the normal one... thats a good idea ..
Reply 98
Original post by Anaiza
they were in clearing last year? so im hoping they will be this year, i applied for the sandwich course and the normal one... thats a good idea ..

Really? I must have missed them. :redface:

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do. :smile:
im a biomed stdent at uclan and want to transfer
i got 3 C's in sciences
just wondering if this happened to anyone else
or has anyone else transferd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending