The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4800
Original post by munn
if the cowboys win next week they split head to head, have an identical divisional record and a better record against common opponents (both split the NFC south games but Dallas went 3-1 against AFC North, Redskins went 2-2), so Dallas will win the division if they beat Washington next week

Thanks for clarifying this. I thought conference record would take precedence after divsional record.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4801
Stayed up to watch the 49ers and Seahawks last night. Man it was worth it! GoHawks!
Original post by TheMagicRat
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Manning isn't even Broncos MVP, Von Miller is. I'm just hoping that either Miller or J.J. Watt get a look in for the MVP award. I don't like the way it nearly always goes to the offensive leaders. In fact, only three winners haven't a QB or RB. One of which was a kicker! I appreciate great defence much more than I appreciate great offense, so maybe I'm being a little biased towards my own tastes but I do think the defensive guys deserve much more of a look in than they actually get.

Von Miller is an awesome player, you could see this last year, he's a future Hall of Famer IMO. However Von Miller isn't the difference between 8-8 last year and 12-3 this year. It's pretty obvious where and who the difference is. The rest of the roster has not been drastically improved since last year and even that .500 record was only thanks to a few fourth quarter comebacks pulled out of the bag by Tebow so really Denver were/are a rank average team in terms of squad strength.

I know it probably grates on some people that Peyton Manning is the game's golden child and he will probably end up MVP but he is a once in a generation player that turns also rans into Superbowl contenders (look at the Colts last season when he was crocked), Von Miller is a great player but he isn't that. If Tebow had still been QB I reckon Denver would have been about 8-7 now.
Sherman didn't make the Pro-Bowl? That's bs. Best cb in the league (7 ints, 2 TD, worst passer rating against him). Hopefully no Seahawks will be in Pro-Bowl anyway due to being in the Superbowl.
Original post by nevergohalfpace
Sherman didn't make the Pro-Bowl? That's bs. Best cb in the league (7 ints, 2 TD, worst passer rating against him). Hopefully no Seahawks will be in Pro-Bowl anyway due to being in the Superbowl.

Drug thing probably screwed him in.
Pro bowl is a farce anyway
Original post by Tokyoround

Exactly if a player really gets upset over missing out on a pro bowl well then... They don't even play properly for god sake! Much of it is a popularity contest. Like the NBA and NHL all star games their all jokes.
Original post by johnharris19944
Exactly if a player really gets upset over missing out on a pro bowl well then... They don't even play properly for god sake! Much of it is a popularity contest. Like the NBA and NHL all star games their all jokes.

They can't play properly. Could you imagine if Peyton Manning ruptured his ACL being hit by Aldon Smith in the Pro Bowl?

As for Sherman, it's a bit of a joke really as he definitely deserves to be there, but I'd bet the Patrick Peterson smashed him in the fan voting, which is how he got in. However, this year's rosters seem better than most years - fewer players in purely on reputation.
Original post by shunter7634
They can't play properly. Could you imagine if Peyton Manning ruptured his ACL being hit by Aldon Smith in the Pro Bowl?

As for Sherman, it's a bit of a joke really as he definitely deserves to be there, but I'd bet the Patrick Peterson smashed him in the fan voting, which is how he got in. However, this year's rosters seem better than most years - fewer players in purely on reputation.

Then don't bother having an All star game. At least in the NBA they still go for it a bit. I understand the risk of injury but if thats the case just don't have a game.
Reply 4809
Pro Bowl is a massive waste of time and effort anyway. Read on espn or something they suggested making it a 'senior bowl' to showcase the coming years draft class. Would be a million times better in my opinion.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Von Miller is an awesome player, you could see this last year, he's a future Hall of Famer IMO. However Von Miller isn't the difference between 8-8 last year and 12-3 this year. It's pretty obvious where and who the difference is. The rest of the roster has not been drastically improved since last year and even that .500 record was only thanks to a few fourth quarter comebacks pulled out of the bag by Tebow so really Denver were/are a rank average team in terms of squad strength.

I know it probably grates on some people that Peyton Manning is the game's golden child and he will probably end up MVP but he is a once in a generation player that turns also rans into Superbowl contenders (look at the Colts last season when he was crocked), Von Miller is a great player but he isn't that. If Tebow had still been QB I reckon Denver would have been about 8-7 now.

I think I know deep down what your saying is true but, as I said earlier, I'd like to see more recognition given to defensive players when it comes to the MVP.
Detroit Lions, so true...

531820_10151166834246006_2144568179_n.jpg
AFC taking the win this year A.J Green and Andy Dalton !! Salute!!
Reply 4813
Original post by Malevolent
Detroit Lions, so true...

531820_10151166834246006_2144568179_n.jpg

I hate watching stafford throw the ball. It's disgusting.
Sherman won his appeal :biggrin: Great couple of weeks for Seattle, now just need Arizona to win.
Reply 4815
Original post by Tokyoround

THIS
Original post by TheMagicRat
I think I know deep down what your saying is true but, as I said earlier, I'd like to see more recognition given to defensive players when it comes to the MVP.

I think for a defensive player to win it, you would need him to be in a team which doesn't really have a dominant QB. Lawrence Taylor won MVP for the Giants in 1986, where he was the stand out dominant force in a team with a steady QB (Phil Sims) that wasn't a world beater. Von Miller is never going to have the same influence on a team as Manning so he can't really compete with him. NFL is a sport that is so QB driven, you will always get QBs monopolising these awards but one good thing about the NFL is aside from official awards, the game is pretty good at giving respect to the unsung hero type players, Von Miller has a lot of credit amongst fans and media as well as his peers that play. I also think amongst Broncos fans, Von is probably the most popular player. Manning is still really associated with the Colts. Even if Denver wins the SB, Manning won't have the status of Elway, he'll always be kind of a hired gun coming across at the end of his career. In fairness to Manning though, he has done everything asked of him to put effort into settling in Denver and making himself part of the team, and his presence has been great marketing and PR for the club as the media love him and he always conducts himself well for the media.
Reply 4817

Actually Sherman was 3rd in the fan voting behind the Bears duo, it was the players and coaches that didn't vote for him because of the hanging suspension - at least one (unnamed) source has said that he absolutely believes Sherman has been the best corner in the league, but some nonsense about role models and PED use meant he felt he couldn't vote for him.

The ONLY reason he didn't get in is because of that, but absolutely no doubt he makes first team All Pro
Original post by munn
Actually Sherman was 3rd in the fan voting behind the Bears duo, it was the players and coaches that didn't vote for him because of the hanging suspension - at least one (unnamed) source has said that he absolutely believes Sherman has been the best corner in the league, but some nonsense about role models and PED use meant he felt he couldn't vote for him.

The ONLY reason he didn't get in is because of that, but absolutely no doubt he makes first team All Pro

Wow, that's really surprising - are the fan voting numbers available somewhere? At least it's not like he's a London Fletcher type player who's almost at their last chance - he'll be in Pro Bowls for plenty of years to come.
Reply 4819
Wow, that's really surprising - are the fan voting numbers available somewhere? At least it's not like he's a London Fletcher type player who's almost at their last chance - he'll be in Pro Bowls for plenty of years to come.

not entirely sure, I saw it banded about a few times though, a quick search for "sherman fan voting" brings this up as an early result

http://sportspressnw.com/2012/12/afc-nfc-pro-bowl-should-nfl-keep-it-or-kill-it/

“I know we didn’t vote for him and the only reason was the PEDs,” an unidentified receivers coach from an NFC team told Yahoo.com.” But if you just want to talk about how he played, he was great. When I say he was the best corner in the league, I’m telling you that it wasn’t really that close.”

Sherman reportedly finished third in the fan vote and should have been an easy Pro Bowl choice by players and coaches. But someone leaked the results of his “failed” drug test to ESPN, which reported the news, which deterred coaches and players from voting for Sherman even though his appeal hadn’t been heard.

Latest