The Student Room Group

UNIT 1 Psychology AQA jan 2013

Hey does anyone have any notes for unit 1 psych AQA and does anyone have an idea on what the 12 marker question could be on? the other thread has too many posts and is confusing me :/ but any help will be helpful. litrally 10 days till the exam and is on the same day as chem. some help will be good please!!! x
Reply 1
Original post by Priya08
Hey does anyone have any notes for unit 1 psych AQA and does anyone have an idea on what the 12 marker question could be on? the other thread has too many posts and is confusing me :/ but any help will be helpful. litrally 10 days till the exam and is on the same day as chem. some help will be good please!!! x

This site: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk/ is really good as it has mostly everything for psya1 and very detailed too.
Whatever's not on there then go to this link: http://a-levelpsychologyaqa.blogspot.co.uk/ (it contains psya2 too, so you will have to scroll down for unit 1 stuff) again also a good site.

The 12 marker imo, will probably be from any one of these: institutionalisation, deprivation, Working Memory Model or memory improvement! But who knows?
Your teacher should have made you a list of what kind of questions could come up for the 12 marker, that's what my teacher did back when I did this exam.
(edited 11 years ago)
For memory possibly

Cognitive interview
Memory improvement strategies

For Attachment

Cross cultural variations
Implications of research into attachment on daycare practices

i will cry if deprivation comes up, its utter bull.
Reply 3
Hey gaffer dean thanks for those links

erm 'lets be honost' if deprivation does come up..what studies could we talk about?? same ones a privation?
and what studies could we use for memory improvement?
i hope these two dont come up. and cross cultural variation is horrible :/
Reply 4
Original post by Priya08
Hey gaffer dean thanks for those links

erm 'lets be honost' if deprivation does come up..what studies could we talk about?? same ones a privation?
and what studies could we use for memory improvement?
i hope these two dont come up. and cross cultural variation is horrible :/

Hi,
No problem,

No, you can't write same studies for deprivation and privation because they are both different.
Deprivation means the loss of or seperation from an attachment figure and privation is failure to form an attachment. There are many studies in this site: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk (look under attachment) which you could write about that support the hypothesis and there are many strong evaluation points there too.
If the essay was on deprivation, I would first define it and then talk about maternal deprivation hypothesis (this should take about two - three paragraphs). Then, research that supports it (and some research that goes against it) and then write my general evaluation points. But, it's really the structure that works best for you.

For memory improvement, only talk about two or three techniques. The easiest are mnemonics and mind mapping. you could write down that Research shows that people who learn mnemonic techniques are better at learning and remembering material. There are many studies in the main textbook (the cat one) such as Bower et al to support the 'role of organisation' and you could talk about Craik and Tulving (they tested whether the level of processing affected how well we remember information). Craik & Lockhart found that if participants analysed material by its meaning (semantically), the recall was better. For evaluation points you could talk about the validity - Research into memory normally lacks ecological validity as it only deals with semantic memory. However, memory improvement only deals with semantic memory and the techniques are therefore valid. (All this is in the textbook!)

Cultural variations is actually quite easy to remember if you really understand the strange situation. The main study you should remember is Van Ijzendoorn and Kroonenberg and then Takahashi. Again, cultural variations in attachment is explained in detail on this site: http://www.psychteacher.co.uk/attachment/cultural-variations.html

Good luck on your exam!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
omg thank you so much for your help. actually understand things better..could be a big difference for my grade now..hoping to get an A
Reply 6
Original post by Priya08
omg thank you so much for your help. actually understand things better..could be a big difference for my grade now..hoping to get an A

I'm glad I was able to help.
Hope you do get an A.
Good luck on your exam!
Reply 7
I think there is a chance that the 12 mark question will be on misleading information (e.g. Loftus et al (1978)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I hope it is on misleading info! That's the only thing I feel confident on!
Reply 9
Does anyone have any simple info/nots on strategies for memory improvement that they could share with me please! The text book makes it too complex!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hey gaffer dean thanks for given those links helped me a lot and yes i did get an A :biggrin: thanksss
Original post by Priya08
Hey gaffer dean thanks for given those links helped me a lot and yes i did get an A :biggrin: thanksss

Hey,
congratulations, that is excellent! you deserved it!
Use the same site for psya2 and trust me you will also get an A in that unit too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
yh will do :biggrin: cheers! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending