The Student Room Group

Dropping 4th AS? Please help!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Libby18
im doing A2 at the moment aha

ah awesome :biggrin: I do think I'm going to go ahead with it, with my EPQ at hand I can still get into a really good uni! hopefully! :smile: thank you!
Reply 21
Original post by insomniacfreak
ah awesome :biggrin: I do think I'm going to go ahead with it, with my EPQ at hand I can still get into a really good uni! hopefully! :smile: thank you!

yeah you can :smile:for now focus on the three and epq, over summer decide where you might apply, get grades and see where you are applying, then email/phone to confirm if they require a 4th AS or not or epq is accepted in stead, if they do- dont apply there/pick up 4th AS during A2

:smile:
Reply 22
I completely agree with you, I'd rather get 3 A's than 4 mediocre grades.

The question of what the top Unis want doesn't really matter anyway because with 3Bs and an E you couldn't get into one, whereas if you have 3 As then you're at least in with a shot. Are there any other subjects you'd consider doing next year just to AS that you'd enjoy?
I'm doing 4 AS levels : Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit and something called an EPQ which counts as an AS. Recently we had mocks and I managed to get B's in everything apart from Chemistry in which I got a U. Even though my school has a policy of kicking off students who get lower than an E in Chem, my teacher is the head of Chemistry and I'm one of his best students. However, for the last few months, I have really started to dislike it. I don't find any passion in it anymore. So I guess what I'm asking is, should I drop Chemistry?

And on top of that I'm predicting straight B's in all of my subjects apart from Chemistry where I'm predicted an E. I know I could push those up to an A if I dropped chemistry because I'm putting in so much effort that I haven't really focused on the others... and anyway I've decided to do law at uni? So should I drop the subject?

Id wait until you have done your January modules and see what you get in it. You may have only got a U in the mock but you may surprise yourself.
If you are right and you end up getting an E or a U or something, then drop it.
Reply 24
I'm doing 4 AS levels : Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit and something called an EPQ which counts as an AS. Recently we had mocks and I managed to get B's in everything apart from Chemistry in which I got a U. Even though my school has a policy of kicking off students who get lower than an E in Chem, my teacher is the head of Chemistry and I'm one of his best students. However, for the last few months, I have really started to dislike it. I don't find any passion in it anymore. So I guess what I'm asking is, should I drop Chemistry?

And on top of that I'm predicting straight B's in all of my subjects apart from Chemistry where I'm predicted an E. I know I could push those up to an A if I dropped chemistry because I'm putting in so much effort that I haven't really focused on the others... and anyway I've decided to do law at uni? So should I drop the subject?

I had your A level mix too. I didn't drop any because I couldn't decide which one to. You seem like you have one that you favour less (Chemistry) so wait till you get your grades in March/August and then decide. And you're right, why keep a hard subject that you don't particularly enjoy and which isn't required for the degree you want to apply for. Makes life easier when you have three but you do have a bit more pressure when you have four or five so you may just work harder. Focus on your exams for now, I'm sure you haven't come to the stage where you just can't take it because that would be problematic and would need attention now.
Reply 25

Hey ..im in a similar situation to u...:-(..im doing english li..law..psychology and computing...i wamt to drop computing completely as im also geting u's in the mocks...im geetiing A's in the resr of my subjects..but its just that compuring is taking all my time as i keep stressing over the bloody subject..do u guys think i should just drop computing and do an EPQ instead?....would really appreciate any advice...ohh also i want ti study law at uni too...:-)
Reply 26

Many top universities will not take you if you only do 3 AS levels, as they think you can't cope with the workload. Perhaps pick up another AS instead.
Reply 27
Word of warning I hated my 4th as absolutely hated it. I wish I had dropped it, it ended up pulling down my marks. I was predicted aaaab and ended up with aabbc. I spent so much time on it and still only got a c. I wish I had changed or dropped it because im sure i could of got my predicted grades if i had. You can always take up a 4th as alongside your a2s , also some unis count critical thinking or general studies as a 4th as.
ok thanks for your help guys! I'm going to write a letter tonight and hand it in tommorow!
I'm glad the OP got their problem solved, but to whoever rated my answer on the first page, I don't really see why you gave me a thumbs down? :confused::sadnod:

Quick Reply

Latest