The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Hello!! I have a few questions.
First, how are the accommodation prices and are they worth it?
What are the usual requirements (grade-wise) to study History & International Relations and how competitive is it?
And if anyone is doing the course, how is it and do you get to choose certain modules (topics you study) in history or is it all set in stone that everyone does the same?
Would they hold it against me that I am repeating my 12th Year? Btw, it wasn't because I got bad grades before hand but due to personal reasons.

Sorry for the many questions all fired at once :/ Thank you! :biggrin:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 7661
First, how are the accommodation prices and are they worth it?
Outrageously expensive, no.
What are the usual requirements (grade-wise) to study History & International Relations and how competitive is it?
very competitive, you're looking at AAA at A level. Int. relations especially.
And if anyone is doing the course, how is it and do you get to choose certain modules (topics you study) in history or is it all set in stone that everyone does the same?
Part of the beauty of St Andrews is you can pick any modules you like from within the faculty of art (at least in the first two years) - tonnes of flexibility and choice
Would they hold it against me that I am repeating my 12th Year? Btw, it wasn't because I got bad grades before hand but due to personal reasons.
probably not - as long as you can provide evidence and mention this on your PS
Reply 7662
Does St. Andrews University take part in the clearing process? Because there is a website that indicates that they do not.
nope - they haven't for at about 10 years now
Also, generally speaking, how competitive is English?
the whole university is very competitive, but if you've got good grades (AAA at A level or equivalent) and write a good PS, you've got a good chance.
Reply 7663
Could someone tell me what happens on Raisin Weekend and what its like?
Generally speaking it's carnage - most people get very drunk. You basically get academic parents who throw parties for you (good raisin traditions if you want the full lowdown on the traditions, there are lots). It's great fun and you can select a family that caters to the amount of carnage you want to have - some people have a great time drinking nothing on raisin, others get slaughtered.

Also would you recommend catered or self catered accommodation?
depends on you, but I personally liked catered - food quality is pretty good.
Reply 7664
Hi, back again can anyone tell me what the library is like? one person who was hating on st andrews on another thread probably a while ago, said the library was awful and need refurbishing or something.:eek:
Original post by rac1
Hi, back again can anyone tell me what the library is like? one person who was hating on st andrews on another thread probably a while ago, said the library was awful and need refurbishing or something.:eek:

Just as well it just completed a massive redevelopment then. The outside still doesn't look great, but the inside has all been refurbished over the past 2 summers.
Original post by Jackkkkk
Im probably being quite silly, but can someone explain this for me please. Basically I'm applying post A Level so will be 19 when i start uni. Will I be much older than the majority of scottish applicants as (from my little knowledge of the scottish system) i thought you could go to uni with just highers so start at 17? or am i wrong?
thank youuuu

most scots take 5th year highers and then apply to uni with those. Many do 6th year (either to retake highers or, more usually for st andrews students, do some advanced highers). Basically most of us will have applied in 6th year and gotten unconditionals as this is after we have our higher grades and then we'll stay to do advanced highers because they're a-level equivalent.

4 of my friends I met within the first week were freshers and 19 by christmas (including me and I went to a scottish school) so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anyway age is rather irrelevant at uni, I have friends between 18 and 27 at the moment.
Reply 7667
Original post by Ecosse_14
Just as well it just completed a massive redevelopment then. The outside still doesn't look great, but the inside has all been refurbished over the past 2 summers.

and it's still dreadful.. best avoided if you can (or go to departmental library)
Does anyone know whether St Andrews puts more emphasis on grades or the PS? Or does it depend on the course/ candidate?

And I'm a bit confused because some people here are convinced that candidates who applied in October should get the decisions quite soon after the official UCAS deadline.
Other people keep telling that St Andrews is generally very late concerning the decisions :confused:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7669
Is it possible to obtain a degree in maths from St Andrews by distance learning?
Original post by Sambo2
and it's still dreadful.. best avoided if you can (or go to departmental library)

It ain't that bad. I don't really mind it :dontknow:
Although some of the departmental libraries are very nice indeed.

Original post by Welsh Lady
Does anyone know whether St Andrews puts more emphasis on grades or the PS? Or does it depend on the course/ candidate?

And I'm a bit confused because some people here are convinced that candidates who applied in October should get the decisions quite soon after the official UCAS deadline.
Other people keep telling that St Andrews is generally very late concerning the decisions :confused:

Thank you :smile:

St Andrews puts a lot of emphasis on the PS, but that's mainly because the vast majority of people applying already meet the entry requirements for their course.

The majority of people who apply through UCAS will hear in February, although some will get them at the end of January and others will have to wait till March.
Original post by nohomo
Is it possible to obtain a degree in maths from St Andrews by distance learning?

I don't believe St Andrews offers any undergraduate courses by distance learning. You'll be able to find out on the website or by emailing the department.
After some careful consideration I've decided that I'd rather study Maths than study Chemistry. This is obviously a problem since I still wish to go to university this year, yet don't want to be in a course I don't enjoy. I know Maths is a popular course at St Andrews, so I'm not holding out much hope, but would it be possible to change from Chemistry to Maths? Either before my application is considered, or after I get to the uni (assuming I get an offer)?
Original post by TheFOMaster
After some careful consideration I've decided that I'd rather study Maths than study Chemistry. This is obviously a problem since I still wish to go to university this year, yet don't want to be in a course I don't enjoy. I know Maths is a popular course at St Andrews, so I'm not holding out much hope, but would it be possible to change from Chemistry to Maths? Either before my application is considered, or after I get to the uni (assuming I get an offer)?

It would be very easy for you to change courses after you got here (assuming you got an offer and accepted it). You'd still have to do chemistry in the 1st semester though, and maybe the 2nd semester.
Original post by Ecosse_14
It would be very easy for you to change courses after you got here (assuming you got an offer and accepted it). You'd still have to do chemistry in the 1st semester though, and maybe the 2nd semester.

Thanks, I'd likely have still done Chemistry anyway, so this is fine for me :smile:
Reply 7675
Original post by Sambo2

Ahaha... I've only been in there twice. Once for the loo and the second time to borrow Star Wars V. :wink: Physics library is sooo much better.

Should be able to, but you need to have the qualifications to do the Maths course. So you need the relevant grades in Maths to be allowed to take the modules. :smile: (So probably A in Higher/Adv. Higher/A-levels)

Original post by nohomo

Sadly no. Looks like you can only do distance learning with the School of Biology. You might be able to do some part-time study with the Maths department. Best thing to do is email and ask: [email protected]. (They're a lovely bunch, so don't feel like you can't ask) :smile:
Reply 7676
Original post by Helsy
Ahaha... I've only been in there twice. Once for the loo and the second time to borrow Star Wars V. :wink: Physics library is sooo much better.

Agreed, I'm a regular visitor! Medicine is where it's at for tray bakes though...
Reply 7677

Yeh should be fine - I have a friend that did this. If you already have an offer, prob best to wait until you get here. You might have to do one chemistry module, but as long as you do Maths too, should be fine.
Hi,

I've finished my personal statement now and am applying for French and geography/European studies at Scottish universities.

I would like to apply to St. Andrews not only for French and Geography but also for French and International Relations (partly because I don't have a fifth Scottish uni I wanna go to and partly because I find International Relations interesting and wanna win a bit more time to finally decide).

Here's my question:
Will there be disadvantages for me if I apply for two courses at St. Andrews?
If they find out, I've applied for two combinations with French, it may seem like I'm not determined enough to the second subject and that I'm a person who is unable to make important/ clear decisions.

As both of my options are combined with French, the departments will probably recognize I've applied for two different courses?
Will they offer me a place on both courses (if I'm good enough) or will they put me in the course they think I'm better suited for?

Would you advise me to apply to only one course to have a better chance to get in or does it not matter when I apply for two?

I'll probably sent my application on Sunday, so please help me.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 7679
Hey, really sorry, but I have no idea about your question. But I'm just going to link you to the Ask a Current Student Thread we have, because I'm pretty sure there are some students there who ought to know. :smile:
(If I was one of those fancy moderator types I would repost your thread there... but I'm not) :tongue:

Click here: St Andrews - Ask A Current Student Thread

Latest

Trending

Trending