The Student Room Group

A question regarding AS sociology unit 1 revision

Hello fellow sociologists!

A question please:

The exam format requires you to answer ONE out of three questions on either Family and households, wealth povertry and welfare, culture and identity.

Are people choosing to revise just one of the three, or revising two of the three incase an unfamiliar question arises in the "preferred topic"

Thanks!
Reply 1
We've only been taught Families and Households, so one of the three; I thought that was the standard.
Original post by .JJ
We've only been taught Families and Households, so one of the three; I thought that was the standard.

So your school picked a topic on your behalf and chose to exclusively teach that?

I'm learning as an external student (I'm at university) so havent had classroom teaching. it seems most people are going to attempt family and households? Any particular reason?

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by bjollyhockeysticks
So your school picked a topic on your behalf and chose to exclusively teach that?

I'm learning as an external student (I'm at university) so havent had classroom teaching. it seems most people are going to attempt family and households? Any particular reason?

Thanks

At AS we had Families and Households chosen for us by the teachers. I'm not sure why, out of all of them it seems the most interesting, might even be easier to learn. At A2, we had a choice between two teachers that taught different topics, as our two Sociology teachers preferred one topic to the other.
Original post by .JJ
At AS we had Families and Households chosen for us by the teachers. I'm not sure why, out of all of them it seems the most interesting, might even be easier to learn. At A2, we had a choice between two teachers that taught different topics, as our two Sociology teachers preferred one topic to the other.

gotcha. Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by bjollyhockeysticks
gotcha. Thanks.

I'm at a sixth form college and we had poverty chosen for us. I'd reccomend it as I got an A in it and believe me I'm not usually good at getting high grades..

I wouldn't personally advise revising them all as that would be alot of infromation...

And as for how you go about reving it break it into the 5 topic areas. Then revise the theories. Once you've got the theory in your head make sure you remember the theorist. After that I made a list of all the theorists and remembered it in order of where they appear in the booklet. A year later I can still remember it slightly....

Marsland
Murray
Townsend...

And then in your exam once you see the question in front of you write down a list of those theories you know are related to it. If you remember the name of the theorist the likely hood is that you'll have attached the name to the actual theory and seeing the name in front of you will spark of in your mind what it is.

Least that's what worked for me! Good luck and try not to get to stressed out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending