The Student Room Group

How do you know 2 events are mutually excusive?

I know it means one event isn't affected by another so is it like they're independent? This question is confusing me where I have to show which 2 of 4 events are mutually exclusive from a table, it's question 5iii:

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/s106ja_p3r112.pdf

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
mutually exclusive events are never independent

so one way of showing that events are not mutually exclusive is to show they are independent !

but the best way of determining mutual exclusivity is to show that p(A&B) is zero
Two events are mutually exclusive if the following is true:

If A occurs, then P(B) is unaffected. That is to say P(B|A) = P(B).

Edit: Oops, that's the definition of independence
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I think it's B & C. No athlete on the list competes in both the 200m and 110m hurdles, so they are mutually exclusive.
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
mutually exclusive events are never independent

so one way of showing that events are not mutually exclusive is to show they are independent !

but the best way of determining mutual exclusivity is to show that p(A&B) is zero

does it equal to zero because both events are mutually exclusive and so can't happen at the same time? Also, is the difference between independent events & mutually exclusive events that independent events can happen at the same time BUT aren't affected by each other and mutually exclusive events just can't happen together?

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Cryogenic
I think it's B & C. No athlete on the list competes in both the 200m and 110m hurdles, so they are mutually exclusive.

Yes it's B & C, thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Magenta96
does it equal to zero because both events are mutually exclusive and so can't happen at the same time? Also, is the difference between independent events & mutually exclusive events that independent events can happen at the same time BUT aren't affected by each other and mutually exclusive events just can't happen together?

Thanks

yes... it is like the probability of a coin landing on heads and tails...these events are mutually exclusive ( also exhaustive )

or the probability of a card being hearts and diamonds... these events are mutually exclusive ( but not exhaustive )
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
yes... it is like the probability of a coin landing on heads and tails...these events are mutually exclusive ( also exhaustive )

or the probability of a card being hearts and diamonds... these events are mutually exclusive ( but not exhaustive )

ah right yes that makes sense, thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by The Polymath
Two events are mutually exclusive if the following is true:

If A occurs, then P(B) is unaffected. That is to say P(B|A) = P(B).

That's the definition of independence!

A and B are mutually exclusive if they can't both happen together.

Examples:
I choose a number. A = the event that the number is even. B = the event that the number is odd.

I choose a playing card from a pack. A = the event that it is red. B = the event that it is black.
Original post by davros
That's the definition of independence!

A and B are mutually exclusive if they can't both happen together.

Examples:
I choose a number. A = the event that the number is even. B = the event that the number is odd.

I choose a playing card from a pack. A = the event that it is red. B = the event that it is black.

Oops haha. So mutual exclusivity is P(A&B)=0

Quick Reply

Latest