The Student Room Group

Algebraic Fractions... I think? (GCSE)

Hi maths people,

I'm having some trouble with algebraic fractions, and was wondering if any of you can help me? :smile:
I've attempted to attach my problem as a .jpeg- I hope it works!

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Ava-
Hi maths people,

I'm having some trouble with algebraic fractions, and was wondering if any of you can help me? :smile:
I've attempted to attach my problem as a .jpeg- I hope it works!

Thanks in advance

Please try to rotate your scans in future - it's easier than me rotating my head :smile:

I think you have the right idea, but I'm puzzled because the 2x+1 in your original question seems to have changed into a 2x-1 when you do the working out! Which factor is correct?
Reply 2
You made a mistake in the first line, you wrote (2x + 1), but you changed it to (2x - 1) in the actual working which is the right one so doesn't really matter :biggrin:

You need to expand the bit you circled. When you expand anything you simply multiply each term by every term in the opposite bracket. Does this help you?
Reply 3
Original post by davros
Please try to rotate your scans in future - it's easier than me rotating my head :smile:

I think you have the right idea, but I'm puzzled because the 2x+1 in your original question seems to have changed into a 2x-1 when you do the working out! Which factor is correct?

Oh sorry! I was posting on my phone, and I must have got confused by the auto-rotate.

The 2x-1 is the right one, aha, sorry for that too!
Reply 4
Original post by Ava-
Oh sorry! I was posting on my phone, and I must have got confused by the auto-rotate.

The 2x-1 is the right one, aha, sorry for that too!

no problem! So basically yes - you multiply both sides of the equation by (x+2)(2x-1), clear fractions and tidy up what's left :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sulphur
You made a mistake in the first line, you wrote (2x + 1), but you changed it to (2x - 1) in the actual working which is the right one so doesn't really matter :biggrin:

You need to expand the bit you circled. When you expand anything you simply multiply each term by every term in the opposite bracket. Does this help you?

Okay, so I got
4x?2 + 6x-4

so 11x+7=4x?2 + 6x-4

Now I need to try and get the x on its own? but there is a x squared too?

Thankyou so much!
Reply 6
Well your 4X^2 is part of the final solution so that's fine. All you need to do is collect like terms now.
Reply 7
Original post by Ava-
Okay, so I got
4x?2 + 6x-4

so 11x+7=4x?2 + 6x-4

Now I need to try and get the x on its own? but there is a x squared too?

Thankyou so much!

Just rearrange by taking 11x+7 away from both sides!
Reply 8
Original post by Sulphur
Well your 4X^2 is part of the final solution so that's fine. All you need to do is collect like terms now.

Original post by davros
Just rearrange by taking 11x+7 away from both sides!

Ahh I see, thankyou!

One last thing- 20130306_202516.jpg
Reply 9
Original post by Ava-
Ahh I see, thankyou!

Try factorising numerator and denominator of each fraction and see if you can see any common factors in there (I've had a very quick glance and I think one of them can be simplified)
Reply 10
Original post by Ava-
Ahh I see, thankyou!

One of them can be yes, i'll let you figure out which one :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thanks both of you!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest