The Student Room Group

Help! Student budget

Hi,

I'm in my 2nd Semester at Salford uni and was wondering how people cope, financially.

I'm on the Basic Maintenance Loan (£3564), and i don't qualify for a student Grant or bursary.

I literally have no money in my bank account accept for £0.53 in savings :frown: I have previously borrowed money from friends but i don't like doing that. I want to know where people shop for food.

Apparently i'm not shopping like a student. Which makes sense I mean I shop at waitrose, only because my mum shops there, and i don't trust tesco because if there is horse in the beef what else is there and what about there other meats??? (I have eaten horse in france, so not bothered about that it's just what tesco is hiding)

So yeah, How do you guys budget and where do you do your food shop?

thanks
I shop at Tesco and haven't found a problem with them. I'm not a student (I live by myself), but when i'm feeling frugal, I usually buy things like smoked salmon or joints of cooked ham. They're quite expensive, but they can last for a few days so it can work out cheaper in the long run, and you're eating healthily too.
Potatoes are a must. You can usually buy 4 baking potatoes for about a pound, so you have four meals for 25p.
I have a preference for granary bread, and I always choose loaves that have the latest expiry date. You can still use them for a couple of days afterwards, and they're still fresh, so they can work out as good value for money.

Rice and pastas can also work out cheap.

Look out for offers on butter and cheese. I like good cheese, and there's almost always an offer on them somewhere. They can last for 2/3 weeks too.

Try to dodge ready meals, or meals that can only last once, but buy items which can last for two or more days. Buying tupperware boxes and/or freezing meals can mean that the leftovers can be enjoyed for another day.

Also, try to avoid junk food. I find that when I buy crisps, I tend to eat them quickly and get hungry soon afterwards. The same for chocolate.

Cereal can be expensive too, so try to steer towards cheaper brands, look out for offers or buy porridge.

A good grocery shop for me comes to about £15 a week, where I have every day covered. Of course, a little treat every now and then didn't do anybody any harm...
Reply 2
Planning meals can greatly reduce grocery shopping costs, because you don't impulse buy that cake or waste money on food you won't use. This website has many recipes and allows you to make, save and customise meal plans for up to a week.

www.resourcefulcook.com

I swear by it! Also, experiment with different food brands. Often, the everyday value option is just as good.
Reply 3
First do you have a student bank account with an overdraft? If not get one, it is invaluable for situations like this where you have 53p in the bank. Most people I know wouldn't be able to function without it. This gives you a safety net to fall on if you have badly budgeted. I would also recommend you see your university about a hardship for or temporary loan to keep you afloat in the mean time.

Second on how to budget. Do shopping weekly. Go to place such as Tesco or Asda. Their value products are seriously cheap and not that bad quality. Buy lots of Rice and Pasta, and with a few recipes you can live well of it. There is no chance of their product containing horse meat so long as it is fresh and not frozen junk. Places such as Lidl and Aldi are also cheap, but their meat and fruit&veg selection isn't as great. Avoid brand products unless necessary or on a really great offer.
Reply 4
Original post by adark876
Hi,

I'm in my 2nd Semester at Salford uni and was wondering how people cope, financially.

I'm on the Basic Maintenance Loan (£3564), and i don't qualify for a student Grant or bursary.

I literally have no money in my bank account accept for £0.53 in savings :frown: I have previously borrowed money from friends but i don't like doing that. I want to know where people shop for food.

Apparently i'm not shopping like a student. Which makes sense I mean I shop at waitrose, only because my mum shops there, and i don't trust tesco because if there is horse in the beef what else is there and what about there other meats??? (I have eaten horse in france, so not bothered about that it's just what tesco is hiding)

So yeah, How do you guys budget and where do you do your food shop?

thanks

Most people who get the basic loan either get money from their parents or a job. Waitrose isn't always the more expensive option but there is nothing wrong with Tesco. The horsemeat was only found in the really low quality ready meals, not in the actual cuts of beef. I do a Tesco online shop every fortnight, usually spend about £40, and occasionally top it up at the campus shop and or Waitrose as its the nearest store to my house.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Swanbow
First do you have a student bank account with an overdraft? If not get one, it is invaluable for situations like this where you have 53p in the bank. Most people I know wouldn't be able to function without it. This gives you a safety net to fall on if you have badly budgeted. I would also recommend you see your university about a hardship for or temporary loan to keep you afloat in the mean time.

Yeah i have a student bank account, but i've been told that i'm not allowed to get an increase in loan till next year. :frown: i used that to pay for my accomadition because SF fcuked up and I didn't get my full maintenance entitlement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending