Can I get in with these subjects?

Maths
Chemistry
Ancient History
History

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

No, you need F.Maths.

EDIT: lol everyone is negging me, yet when I asked this very question some years back, everyone told me I needed F.Maths. Look at the stalking pages, almost all have F. Maths who have offered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Alex-Torres
No, you need F.Maths.

This is one of the biggest misunderstandings surrounding economics. You definitely do not need Further Maths, but it will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hebbamundo
This is one of the biggest misunderstandings surrounding economics. You definitely do not need Further Maths, but it will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For LSE it is very highly recommended that you have F.Maths. Yes, you can still apply but reality is, they're going to choose someone with Maths and F.Maths as opposed to someone studying Maths and Ancient History.

OP, are you actually interested in Economics? Because it's strange that you've picked Economics and at the best paid and employable uni, yet your A-levels don't really follow - i.e. Maths, Economics, F.Maths etc... If you're going in it just for the money, they'll know straight away.
Reply 4
Original post by Alex-Torres
For LSE it is very highly recommended that you have F.Maths. Yes, you can still apply but reality is, they're going to choose someone with Maths and F.Maths as opposed to someone studying Maths and Ancient History.

OP, are you actually interested in Economics? Because it's strange that you've picked Economics and at the best paid and employable uni, yet your A-levels don't really follow - i.e. Maths, Economics, F.Maths etc... If you're going in it just for the money, they'll know straight away.

I have an offer from Cambridge without further maths, which recommends it just as much as LSE and is quite a lot more competitive.

I really wish people would stop jumping on the bandwagon of scaremongering regarding further maths. It discourages applicants who shouldn't be discouraged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Anyway, OP: I'd be more concerned by the fact that 2 of your subjects are history based rather than not taking further maths, they might not appreciate the overlap between the two subjects. Anyway, if you get high As in your AS's you should give LSE a shot, but I wouldn't apply to more than 2 of the 'top 5' if I were in your position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pff, ancient history. LSE prefers proper subjects I believe.
pretty certain the Ancient History / History overlap will be your downfall + the lack of Further Maths - i know Hebbamundo got an offer without it , but at Cambridge they have lots of other stuff to test you on ( such as TSA / interview/ written work etc ) at LSE they just have GCSE and AS scores + the usual - theres nothing special that they use to diffrentiate candidates and the nature of the LSE selection process will also mean that if you didn't have Further Maths then the rest of your application had to be outstanding.

Plus in all fairness a lack of FM will make your life quite difficult at LSE for the economics side of the course as that is very mathematical , so i've heard. Unless your really good at regular Maths and are able to score an A* in which case it might not be too bad.

and like another poster said above , your A-levels don't make it seem asif your interested in economics at all really.
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you do Econ at LSE you'll study material beyond FM within a few months anyway. Its not required in advance, but people who dislike Maths wont be well prepared for LSE Economics...
Reply 9
Original post by Haesights
But I think the Economics course at Cambridge is more balanced between essay writing and the maths component so other parts of your application might have been strong enough to make up for your lack of FM.
Not saying that an applicant can't get into either university without FM but if the OP wants to stand a strong chance they should take it, besides if they want to do such a mathematical course surely they would want to :tongue: ?

You do just as much maths at Cambridge as you do at LSE, just at Cambridge you also have study more qualitative-based material too.

With regards to your second comment, I agree. But you have to remember that not everyone has the option of taking it. Also, to be quite honest with you, I've looked through Edexcel FP1 FP2 and FP3 from peers at my school studying them and we agree that about a third to a half of the syllabus is just off our A level maths from CIE. The course seems like a bit of a joke to be honest with you, as are the past papers (which I've also looked at, no thought process required). The general consensus at my school is that the modular Further Pure Maths is dumbed down. Anyway, my point is that taking modular FM definitely does not mean that you're a good mathematician by any stretch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Zürich
If you do Econ at LSE you'll study material beyond FM within a few months anyway. Its not required in advance, but people who dislike Maths wont be well prepared for LSE Economics...

Fair enough, but you're implicitly making the assumption that people who don't take Further Maths dislike maths. Not true. There are loads of reasons why people who really like maths don't take further maths. Generally speaking I agree with you, but you shouldn't deal in absolute terms like you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough, but you're implicitly making the assumption that people who don't take Further Maths dislike maths. Not true. There are loads of reasons why people who really like maths don't take further maths. Generally speaking I agree with you, but you shouldn't deal in absolute terms like you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you need an A* in Maths to get in anyway...
Reply 12
Original post by Zürich
Well you need an A* in Maths to get in anyway...

What's your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's your point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That offer holders would be qualified to tackle the material anyway, but if they dislike mathsy stuff they wont enjoy their studies...
Thought I should pop in, I changed my subjects to Maths, Economics, Ancient History and Further Pure Maths.
Original post by Luke Williams
Pff, ancient history. LSE prefers proper subjects I believe.

Ancient History of the OCR board, forms part of the well--renowned traditional Classics degree and is a harder degree than History itself. You must know 100 page of sources and every historical fact from the periods with Dido, Ptolemy, Augustus Caesar and whatever more. Now sod off.
Original post by Kolasinac138
Ancient History of the OCR board, forms part of the well--renowned traditional Classics degree and is a harder degree than History itself. You must know 100 page of sources and every historical fact from the periods with Dido, Ptolemy, Augustus Caesar and whatever more. Now sod off.

I am only giving advice, you will not get in. London Met is more suited for you.
Funny guy. Considering I am doing Maths ,Further Maths, Economics and Ancient History :/ . In fact, I am at an advantage to you, for I do the Cambridge Pre-U also, so yeah, London Met is for you; I however, will go to a good university.

Just a word of thought:

My friend got into LSE with Maths, Geography and Economics.
Reply 18
I am curious so will ask, why aren't you raking economics at a level if you wish to study it as a degree?
Reply 19
Original post by Kolasinac138
Funny guy. Considering I am doing Maths ,Further Maths, Economics and Ancient History :/ . In fact, I am at an advantage to you, for I do the Cambridge Pre-U also, so yeah, London Met is for you; I however, will go to a good university.

Just a word of thought:

My friend got into LSE with Maths, Geography and Economics.

Good for you, man. Come back when you get the As like everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending