The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by HippieSkirt23
I did write this all out once already, but it lost it, so here goes again.
I’m currently working full time (& studying with the OU), and so’s the rest of my household, and we (between us) on paper earn ~70k/yr. But, we’re seriously skint. Hear me out.
Living on 6k a year is rubbish, fair enough. But, it’s a tax free 6k. Being tax free makes a huge difference. I earn, gross, £1750 a month. I actually take home £1,212 after paying taxes (national insurance, income tax etc). Also, the more you earn, the more tax you pay; and that’s percentage-wise, not just pounds and pennies. Remember the 50p-in-the-pound debate? Yeah.
The majority of students live on/ near where their campus is. So you have virtually no travel costs. Whereas I currently pay upwards of £150/ month just to commute to work. Lucy for National Rail, not so brilliant for me.
Student rents are cheap (because even if the room itself isn’t, the renting year is reduced (in most cases) making it cheaper). Where as I pay £200/ week rent (to my mother) and I buy everything that you’ll assume my mum buys for me (food, shampoo etc). And chip in 1/3rd of all of the bills. So essentially, I live on £20 a week for luxuries (like tobacco, alcohol, travelling to see my boyfriend, and chipping in for the milk at work).
It’s not like mum doesn’t need the money though; she’s on a good wage, yeah, but then (as previously mentioned) expenditure goes up with income. And as she’s a teacher, her income has not increased with inflation (& she hasn’t had a pay rise in forever). So the standard of living has gone wayyy down on what it was (and that wasn’t brilliant, even 5 years ago).
As above, Council Tax is a killer, and the gas/ water/ electric situation isn’t easy either (and keep rising). Electric bill for last quarter was £500+ - and we’re careful to unplug stuff, and do things like charging mobiles at work to keep the costs down at home.
Dear OP: You would actually (probably) be worse off if you left uni, and got a job on 12k a year and tried to live on your own. Honest, you really would. Google “salary calculator” and type it in. You’ll take home just over £914 a month. So, with average rents for a shabby-as-hell flat in a dodgy estate in Essex (where I live) being around £500-£550, that’s over half your money gone. Then add in water, electric, TV license, heating, council tax, travel costs, food, toiletries, house insurance . . . . you see my point?
You’d actually have less money. And you wouldn’t be able to afford to live away from your parents. Who probably couldn’t (but this is just a guess, so fair enough) be able to afford to keep you without you paying rent. So even if you move back home, you’re skint.
So by my maths, you’re doing alright on your 6k.

You're making a lot of assumptions there.

Many students get relatively ripped off for their accommodation (considering what it is) for it's proximity to the university. Many pay year-round rent.

Students still pay gas&electricity! They are as affected by these prices as everyone else.

Many students have potentially expensive travel obligations. Currently I'm commuting at least 2hrs every day by car, the public transport cost would be ~£100/month and but I only receive around £30/month reimbursement. I'm paying car insurance (something which is generally more expensive for students).

The truth is that if working people lived like students (tiny house share, car share, reduced luxuries etc) they would have a bucket of extra money compared to a student.

Children and wanting to be more discriminating about the area where you live, plus social changes (ie: people just don't house or car share as much when they are all "grown up" and find it much more odd) and simply not wanting to live like a student forever (perfectly understandable!) are the real reasons why people earning much much more than students are still short of cash. But really, they spend that money on choices students can't afford to make (well, and are also socially in a better position to avoid).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by OU Student
You get a tax allowance of £8105 per year, do you not?

The Personal tax allowance goes up to £9,440 in three weeks too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There's a big difference between being a student and being in your 30s or 40s with a family to support, etc. However, I agree that well-off people shouldn't moan about their situation. Worst of all is to hear those who have received large inheritances complaining about inheritance tax rates, or (some) very wealthy people whose wealth is offshore going on about what a terrible place Britain is, whilst living here and enjoying the society and infrastructure built up by generations of taxpayers.

i agree with what your saying and some of the other people on here about supporting a family, mortgage etc..
My parents have a mortgage and theres 3 of us siblings and we live of my dads wage which is 37,000 a year. My mum can't find work atm and we get by perfectly fine so i dont really see what other people have to complain about lol
Reply 63
Rich people shouldn't moan! And we sure as hell aren't rich, even though we are using the internet which puts us in the top 15% of people on the planet!
I have been a carer for my Mother over the past twelve months due to her ill health. Full Time carers in this country get a paltry £58.45 a week. One of the conditions of being a Carer is that you have to provide care for at least 36 hours a week. so a carer is being paid the equivalent £1.62 Per Hour!!!! What really disgusts me is that someone on the dole is paid £14 a week MORE than a Carer. How grossly unfair is that????
Original post by CelticSymphony67
I have been a carer for my Mother over the past twelve months due to her ill health. Full Time carers in this country get a paltry £58.45 a week. One of the conditions of being a Carer is that you have to provide care for at least 36 hours a week. so a carer is being paid the equivalent £1.62 Per Hour!!!! What really disgusts me is that someone on the dole is paid £14 a week MORE than a Carer. How grossly unfair is that????

Can a full-time carer can claim working tax credits? If so, they will end up better off than someone on JSA, etc. Not that I disagree with your point - it sucks that such low hourly rates are apparently sanctioned by government, but they would presumably argue that it isn't a job as such, more like a different kind of benefit.
Original post by anon117
Rich people shouldn't moan! And we sure as hell aren't rich, even though we are using the internet which puts us in the top 15% of people on the planet!

If you're not going to define 'rich' as 'the top x%', how are you going to define it?

And if you are going to define it like that, what on earth is your justification for setting x < 15?

You're almost infinitely richer than most of the rest of the planet. Even in the present day you live a life of what is, to a good deal of the earth's population, unfathomable luxury. If you're going to adopt this reasoning, you shouldn't be moaning about anything.
Reply 67

Carers allowance pay is absolutely appalling, especially as it is well known how much they save the social/health care services.

The dole shouldn't be less, rather carers allowance should be brought up so that they represent a reasonable (as opposed to gross) saving on government-funded care. In fact, increasing the wage might even save money as more people could then afford to be carers.

:frown:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Can a full-time carer can claim working tax credits? If so, they will end up better off than someone on JSA, etc. Not that I disagree with your point - it sucks that such low hourly rates are apparently sanctioned by government, but they would presumably argue that it isn't a job as such, more like a different kind of benefit.
Carers can claim Income Support, at £45 a week (no more), if they have assets of less than £3,000, and that is it. Carers are not entitled to WTC or any other form of benefits, unless they have kids. Carers are allowed to earn £100 a week before they take the CA off you, but if the person you are caring for is really sick, working PT is not an option.
Original post by Pigling
Carers allowance pay is absolutely appalling, especially as it is well known how much they save the social/health care services.

The dole shouldn't be less, rather carers allowance should be brought up so that they represent a reasonable (as opposed to gross) saving on government-funded care. In fact, increasing the wage might even save money as more people could then afford to be carers.

:frown:

I personally think carers should get paid minimum wage * 36 hours a week. Carers save this country Billions of pounds a year.
Reply 70
£500 a month would leave me with £38 a month in halls. How in the hell do you survive off that?
(edited 11 years ago)
I must stress, I'm not having a go at how much people on JSA receive, I think £72 is not too bad, I just think the rate of CA is crude, and to be frank immoral.
I personally think carers should get paid minimum wage * 36 hours a week. Carers save this country Billions of pounds a year.

The taxpayer does get a huge saving by paying carers, the cost of social care and hospitalisation for the elderly for 'minor' issues that results from lack of home care is very large.
You forget that you get away with a hell of a lot as a student. You don't pay tax or council tax, you get student discounts, you don't have every the everyday expenses associated with properly running your own home, you don't have dependents or a partner, you probably go home during the holidays where you pay little/no money to live, not to mention your rent/bills will be peanuts in comparison to what you'll pay when you leave university... Being a student is literally: electricity/water/internet bill and food, and the occasional textbook. That's the extent of your responsibilities. The rest of the money you have is there to spend on what you like. When you leave university, watch your outgoings rocket.

In relation to the couple who are struggling to live on £75,000. That's all entirely relative to your lifestyle. If you used to have a job which paid a joint income of, say, £150,000 and one of you was made redundant, then you would still be paying a mortgage/bills/etc based on what you used to earn. So you would struggle. It's easy to say "well, they should just downsize to a smaller house" but firstly that's easier said than done, and secondly, people quite rightly don't want to do that. I can't criticise people who earn what I consider to be a lot of money but, for legitimate reasons, are struggling to maintain the lifestyle they are used to/enjoy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
I will study in Edinburgh Uni this year. I won't get maintenance loan, almost no support from my parents and will have to work to survive. Yet, I don't whine. That article is vile.

No surprise more and more people in the USA live in a van :smile: Cost of rent is becoming unbearable. Yet rich are never content. :\
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by redferry
Worst example is Adele - 'waaaaaah I earnt 8 million last year but now I only have 4 million'

Oh boohoo poor you.
**** off love.

Seriously? Wow. She's pretty ridiculous in general though. I quote her at the Golden Globes: "Oh my God. Oh my God. Honestly, I've come out for a night out with my friend. We're new Mums. We've literally come for a night out, I was not expecting this.
You weren't expecting it? You were a nominee for goodness sake. :rolleyes:
Original post by redferry
Worst example is Adele - 'waaaaaah I earnt 8 million last year but now I only have 4 million'

Oh boohoo poor you.
**** off love.

Yeah, someone call the waahhmbulance.

I listened to a programme on Radio 4 last year about trust funders who live on 'restricted incomes' compared to previously (because of the decline in earnings from many investment types) but don't bother to find a job - a typical figure might be, say, £3K a month down from having previously received £6K a month. They were so sad about how awful their position was in some cases - only £3,000 a month to live on and not having to do a thing for it, but just drifting, no hope of any improvement. In one case, the young adult in question had given up food shopping in Harvey Nicks and switched to Selfridges, as a money-saving thing and was almost crying about it. Sigh.

It really is all a matter of perspective.
I don't think rich people do moan, I haven't heard a rich person say 'I don't have enough money', because they obviously do. Complaining about how much you get taxed or how much you get paid is different to moaning.
Original post by Rascacielos
You forget that you get away with a hell of a lot as a student. You don't pay tax

They do pay tax if they earn over the threshold, which many won't. Being a student doesn't exempt you from tax.

In relation to the couple who are struggling to live on £75,000. That's all entirely relative to your lifestyle. If you used to have a job which paid a joint income of, say, £150,000 and one of you was made redundant, then you would still be paying a mortgage/bills/etc based on what you used to earn. So you would struggle. It's easy to say "well, they should just downsize to a smaller house" but firstly that's easier said than done, and secondly, people quite rightly don't want to do that.

If people don't want to do that, then don't moan. You don't need a big house.
Reply 79
What people fail to realise is that middle class now is not middle class what it used to be. I know for sure in the case of my parents that since 2008 outgoings have rocketed and income has dropped. I keep seeing "move house" thrown around as if it's the easiest thing in the world to do. Living in the same house for 13 years can get you attached and if you're suddenly forced to move, you have every right to complain!
If I listened to half the people on this site handing out stick because someone happens to have done well in their jobs, I'd rather just not aspire to do anything useful in life because apparently if it pays well it's dirty money.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending