The Student Room Group

Why is it bad manners to tell ppl you want to be rich ?

I tell ppl this and they usually tell me that money won't make me happy etc.

I disagree, since I want money to buy me things and pay my bills, mortgage, holidays,

It can also free up my time to focus on other things besides my job such as watching TV, going on holiday etc.
Original post by emmawatson78902

I disagree, since I want money to buy me things and pay my bills, mortgage, holidays,

It can also free up my time to focus on other things besides my job such as watching TV, going on holiday etc.

There is a bad connotation with saying ‘I want ot be rich’
It just sounds a bit superficial.

I also can’t imagine the context of declaring this. Surely it goes without saying that most people want to be well off/live comfortably?
I don't think it's bad manners per se, it's just that it can make you come across as quite shallow even though let's be real, most people would want to be very financially wealthy but they might not admit it since they may think it'll also make them seem superficial. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be rich because it undoubtedly would solve many issues and make your life better in a load of different ways. I think the problem comes when it's all you think about and it becomes an obsession to the detriment of everything else in your life. But this is the same with an obsession for anything else, not just money.
Reply 4
Original post by emmawatson78902

You don't need to be "rich" to do these things.

What you want is to be "comfortably off" -- you have enough money to be able to live without financial problems. Within that I'd include being able to save money for retirement.

To me, "rich" almost implies having more money than you know what to do with.
It's not bad manners.

Some people may view it negatively as indicative of being excessively materialistic or having ambitions that involve being a potential asset stripper/gold digger.
The problem is more when wanting to have lots of money becomes a silent obsession or your main topic of conversation.
This can make people very irritated, bored, uncomfortable or fearful that you are envious of their wealth.
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
It's not bad manners.

Some people may view it negatively as indicative of being excessively materialistic or having ambitions that involve being a potential asset stripper/gold digger.
The problem is more when wanting to have lots of money becomes a silent obsession or your main topic of conversation.
This can make people very irritated, bored, uncomfortable or fearful that you are envious of their wealth.

Also would you really feel rich if absolutely everyone had £10 million in the bank, you would feel ordinary. So for you to be rich, there has to be poor people as well...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending