The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

THIS IS THE DAILY MAIL WE'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Why are we buying into their pompous, gossipy, intentionally anger-inspiring, disgusting crap? They do this just to sell papers and rack up hits.
Reply 161
The amount the woman in the link spends on shopping per month can be reduced - I know plenty of families with seven family members or more who spend a little under £500 a month of groceries!
Reply 162
Original post by redferry
Not if I had 4 million pounds for something that is just the way I was born I wouldn't. There are people out there who work in jobs one hundred times harder than hers for less than 1% of what she earns.

She is an ungrateful bitch.

Calm down, dear.

Regardless of the amount it is the principle. Why does she owe them a living?
Reply 163
Original post by paradoxicalme
THIS IS THE DAILY MAIL WE'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Why are we buying into their pompous, gossipy, intentionally anger-inspiring, disgusting crap? They do this just to sell papers and rack up hits.

I would rather have free press than government controlled media.
Reply 164
Not if I had 4 million pounds for something that is just the way I was born I wouldn't. There are people out there who work in jobs one hundred times harder than hers for less than 1% of what she earns.

I see what you're saying and feel the same way, but it's almost impossible to tell if you've never had that kind of money. I hate to use the Africa example, but maybe those starving Africa would look at us complaining about the thousands we may or may not get when they live on no money at all, have to work long hours for pennies and have no opportunity to progress in life.

Life is far more comfortable with millions, but who is to say that at that point you wouldn't want all the money you believe you are entitled to? Money rarely satisfies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ru301
The amount the woman in the link spends on shopping per month can be reduced - I know plenty of families with seven family members or more who spend a little under £500 a month of groceries!

It's her money, she earned it, she can do whatever she likes with it.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
It's her money, she earned it, she can do whatever she likes with it.

True. But she can't moan if she spends that much and then has no money left.
Original post by Iron Lady
Calm down, dear.

Regardless of the amount it is the principle. Why does she owe them a living?

It's called taxes. The concept is you give a proportion of what you earn to help the country as a whole. 4 million is more than enough money, if she doesn't want to pay taxes she can move to UAE.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
When I earned £8m? No, absolutely not, because I would be grateful to be earning that money in the first place. Adele should keep her beak shut and be thankful for the money she earns.

You'll get people in 3rd world countries/poverty saying the same to you. It's all about perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xotol
I see what you're saying and feel the same way, but it's almost impossible to tell if you've never had that kind of money. I hate to use the Africa example, but maybe those starving Africa would look at us complaining about the thousands we may or may not get when they live on no money at all, have to work long hours for pennies and have no opportunity to progress in life.

Life is far more comfortable with millions, but who is to say that at that point you wouldn't want all the money you believe you are entitled to? Money rarely satisfies.

Except I am actually very grateful about what I have and don't moan (very publicly in the media) about having to pay tax...

If she believes she is entitled to it then as far as I am concerned she is a dick. I have no time for people who don't believe in paying tax at all.

She is welcome to emigrate and take her ungrateful whining self elsewhere. I for one will never be spending a penny on her music.
Original post by thecookiemonster
To be fair I think you would be annoyed if half of the money which you've worked hard to earn was just taken away from you!

Quite. It's not a question of 'how much do I have?'; it's a question of 'what right have you to take half my earnings?'.

To whom should she be grateful? She has a talent and she's exploiting it. Other people don't come in to the equation.

Most of the people in this thread live incredibly cushy lives just because they were born in this country. That's an equally morally arbitrary circumstance. Yet one can still hear them whining because £6k isn't enough free money for them.

If she believes she is entitled to it then as far as I am concerned she is a dick. I have no time for people who don't believe in paying tax at all.

I don't think she claimed that all tax was bad. Tax is necessary. The problem is that 50% is a wildly disproportionate amount.

The 'she should leave the country if she doesn't like it' comment is the most childish thing I've read on here in a while.
Original post by Sheldor
You'll get people in 3rd world countries/poverty saying the same to you. It's all about perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it is. Whenever I have spare money after paying my bills, I tend to spend it on other people anyway. Maybe it was my upbringing, but I prefer to live frugally, after I have paid bills.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
Of course it is. Whenever I have spare money after paying my bills, I tend to spend it on other people anyway. Maybe it was my upbringing, but I prefer to live frugally, after I have paid bills.

But even having bills to pay, a steady income and a roof over your head. Stuff like internet and your current house/flat may be considered luxury to some, so if you were to complain after having your income halved, they'd react as you did towards Adele

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Quite. It's not a question of 'how much do I have?'; it's a question of 'what right have you to take half my earnings?'.

To whom should she be grateful? She has a talent and she's exploiting it. Other people don't come in to the equation.

Most of the people in this thread live incredibly cushy lives just because they were born in this country. That's an equally morally arbitrary circumstance. Yet one can still hear them whining because £6k isn't enough free money for them.

To whom is not relevant she should be grateful that she has so much in life. I don't where you pulled that from at all.

Well in terms of countries it is relative, poverty in this country is still bad even if it's not as a bad as in the third world.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I don't think she claimed that all tax was bad. Tax is necessary. The problem is that 50% is a wildly disproportionate amount.

The 'she should leave the country if she doesn't like it' comment is the most childish thing I've read on here in a while.

No it isn't, she still has 4 million pounds. Who needs 8 million pounds? No-one.
There are people with a lot less money than her that fall into the 50% tax bracket.

Well actually I think she should just shut the **** up, that would be my more serious solution.
Reply 176
Except I am actually very grateful about what I have and don't moan (very publicly in the media) about having to pay tax...

She is welcome to emigrate and take her ungrateful whining self elsewhere. I for one will never be spending a penny on her music.

My point was more general than specifically aimed at you. Many people do moan about the (lack of) money they receive (t's on this thread and many others). People here will moan about the thousands of pounds they may miss out. But it's all relative. Some people in Africa would love a meal. They would love to have a roof over their head, let alone what type of house they can buy in what location. They would take our position in a heartbeat.

Your gripe shouldn't be with Adele, it should be with the system. She is making the most of her life and talent and (unintentionally) exploiting the music industry.

And no one said she doesn't like paying tax, that's simply your interpretation of her not wanting to pay 50% tax.
Original post by Xotol
My point was more general than specifically aimed at you. Many people do moan about the (lack of) money they receive (t's on this thread and many others). People here will moan about the thousands of pounds they may miss out. But it's all relative. Some people in Africa would love a meal. They would love to have a roof over their head, let alone what type of house they can buy in what location. They would take our position in a heartbeat.

Your gripe shouldn't be with Adele, it should be with the system. She is making the most of her life and talent and (unintentionally) exploiting the music industry.

And no one said she doesn't like paying tax, that's simply your interpretation of her not wanting to pay 50% tax.

I'm sorry but you can't possibly be saying that to come out and complain that you only made 4 million pounds that year as a public figure with millions of fans worse off than you is not a dick move?
To whom is not relevant she should be grateful that she has so much in life. I don't where you pulled that from at all.

Well in terms of countries it is relative, poverty in this country is still bad even if it's not as a bad as in the third world.

Being 'grateful' to no-one makes no sense. If someone does something nice for me, I'm grateful. If something nice fortuitously happens to me, I'm happy, but not grateful. If I win the lottery and have half my money taken by a fraudster, I'm not 'grateful' for my half a lottery's worth of winnings; I'm happy that I have my half lottery win, but angry that half of it has been taken. And I don't think anyone would suggest that I should just stfu and be 'grateful' for my half.

Your mistake here is that 'bad' itself is relative. British 'poverty' is still pretty high up there with the highest living standards human beings have ever enjoyed, anywhere.

No it isn't, she still has 4 million pounds. Who needs 8 million pounds? No-one.
There are people with a lot less money than her that fall into the 50% tax bracket.

Well actually I think she should just shut the **** up, that would be my more serious solution.

Me: It's not the amount, it's the principle of having half her money taken away.
You: But she still has a large amount!

Again, the hypocrisy here is off the chart.
(edited 11 years ago)
We're all rich/privileged people moaning when compared to those much poorer than ourselves around the world.

Latest

Trending

Trending