The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by redferry
What so if he was taxed at 70%? well to be honest that would be getting a bit absurd. We would still have enough to live on though.

But he wouldn't be happy about it would he, if his pay suddenly got reduced.
Original post by Bart1331
But he wouldn't be happy about it would he, if his pay suddenly got reduced.

Well hers wasn't suddenly reduced by a huge magnitude (30%) so I'm not really sure what you are getting at? Her income actually increased that year :s-smilie:
Reply 282
Sorry misread the other posts.

Still, can you blame here for what she's saying? The government demand she pays them 50% of her income, but the public services they supposedly invest her taxes in (when they aren't using it to feather their own nests) are run-down and not up to standard.
Original post by Bart1331
Sorry misread the other posts.

Still, can you blame here for what she's saying? The government demand she pays them 50% of her income, but the public services they supposedly invest her taxes in (when they aren't using it to feather their own nests) are run-down and not up to standard.
That is what Ray Winstone was saying a few weeks back. He came out and said that he had no issue paying 50p in the pound tax, as he makes a lot of money. What his problem was, is that the government seem to be cutting everywhere (except NHS and giving money abroad), not fixing the local roads where he lives, and he is not getting value for his money.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
That is what Ray Winstone was saying a few weeks back. He came out and said that he had no issue paying 50p in the pound tax, as he makes a lot of money. What his problem was, is that the government seem to be cutting everywhere (except NHS and giving money abroad), not fixing the local roads where he lives, and he is not getting value for his money.

It's a foolish complaint. Distribution of government spending can never respond to individual priorities (unless you are a wealthy bearded plutocrat who owns an airline and railway trains, or similar, lol) and so the complaint is a foolish one.

Plainly the problem is that the government has cut back support for local authorities, who fix the holes in the roads and they in turn have been forced to cut back still further and are unable to increase council tax.

In addition, the council tax system is frozen in time from about 25 years ago and a revaluation, which would greatly improve the situation, creating a fairer tax system by increasing it on the very expensive properties to a reasonable level that have ballooned in value during that time, has constantly been blocked by national politicians.
To be fair, he did get a lot of criticism for what he said. I agree with regards to council tax, that could do with a shake up at local level. At the end of the day, times are tough and we have to grit our teeth and get on with it.
There is a principle that states your consumption expands to fill available space.

For example, say you have just got a job earning £30,000, perhaps some five years after your graduate job. You now think you probably have enough money to be buying a house. This decision is a no-brainer because it's better than throwing the monthly rent down the greedy maw of your landlord.

Now, since you know that salaries go up as you get older, you go for a house you can only-just-barely afford right now, thinking that after a few years of slogging you will be earning a comfortable disposable income and will be sitting on an asset that is worth as much as possible at that point of your life.

So you buy the house which is at the extreme end of your capability to repay the mortgage. Then you are just as stretched as you were when you were a student.

And that is without considering the other things that are necessary to function in full job-having society. Really, you need a car, because your job is probably demanding. You probably have a family by this point, and the myriad expenses that go with that.
Original post by Midlander
Lots of people work hard every day to earn a pittance in comparison. What entitles a singer to millions more than, say, a surgeon?

Supply and demand. There is more demand for singers like adele than surgeons.
Sure expenditure goes up with earnings, but it doesn't have to. If when your income increases you just continue to live as normal, you'd have more money in the bank, rather than thinking, "gee, I'd better increase my outgoings too!"
Original post by LukeM90
You can find alot of textbooks etc online scanned lol, ok its underhanded but for a student...

Source? :wink:
Original post by thecookiemonster

Isn't it more to do with making money? Adele sells a lot of downloads and she doubtless has a good contract - therefore she makes a lot of money. Surgeons are on the whole restricted to something like 6 figures, they can't mass-produce their work. At least, not yet - maybe one day home robots will replicate their work!
Original post by thecookiemonster

Fair enough-though for life saving to have a lower priority than singing I find a little odd.
Original post by HippieSkirt23
I bet you wont. I bet if you've managed to work hard enough to earn enough to be taxed that much, you'll be fuming that you can't keep it.
Print out that post, put it in a box, and look at it again when you're 45/50. See if you think the same then.

I can see your point, but as an example my parents are both content in the tax they pay because they know the good it brings to some people. I'd like to think I could be like them
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yes, that's exactly what's happening. It's not that whatever company you're applying for a job with is giving you the opportunity to show that you are the best candidate, so that you might be able freely to contract with them to do that job for monetary gain. Actually, the entire job market is a conspiracy to, like, keep you down, man.

What planet are you on?

You think 20 applicants on average per job is normal? 52 for gaduate jobs?

Maybe you are super intelligent and the saturated job market won't affect you, but for the vast majority if people it is ruining their job and wage prospects.
It's not my experience that rich/privileged people moan more than most people.

People, in general, are likely to moan if they are being treated unfairly. People can be treated unfairly regardless of what social class they're from or what income they generate. If you feel like the government take an unfair amount of the money you've worked for away from you, it's not unreasonable to unhappy about it.
Original post by rolos12345
What planet are you on?

You think 20 applicants on average per job is normal? 52 for gaduate jobs?

Maybe you are super intelligent and the saturated job market won't affect you, but for the vast majority if people it is ruining their job and wage prospects.

Hey, I didn't come up with those figures.

I'm struggling to see the relation of anything you said to the post you quoted, anyway.
Reply 296
Original post by Skip_Snip
Source? :wink:

Google searching a book usualy produces relevant results, sometimes even a whole PDF document (I assume someone scanned and uploaded it or similar), failing that the amazon "look inside" feature (or maybe thats google also, I forget) sometimes you have almost a whole book preview-able lol.
Original post by Midlander
Fair enough-though for life saving to have a lower priority than singing I find a little odd.

It's not that it's a lower priority exactly, just that the likes of Adele can sell their products more easily. For every person who buys her product (a CD or download) she gets a little money. For every person who buys a surgeon's services (ie surgery) they get money, too. It's just unfortunate for surgeons that their products cannot be sold in bulk because they need to be physically present for each individual one.
Original post by Kibalchich
I thought it had been replaced by ESA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Single parents and carers are still entitled to income support.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
It's not that it's a lower priority exactly, just that the likes of Adele can sell their products more easily. For every person who buys her product (a CD or download) she gets a little money. For every person who buys a surgeon's services (ie surgery) they get money, too. It's just unfortunate for surgeons that their products cannot be sold in bulk because they need to be physically present for each individual one.

That partly explains the gulf in wealth but not necessarily in fame. Singers and actors are held in some of the highest esteem in society for what they do, whereas lifesavers are in virtual obscurity. Perhaps it's only those desperate for fame who receive it, but it's not quite right in my view.

Latest

Trending

Trending