The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Confusion regarding my chances of being accepted for a corse at LSE?

Hi all. I'm looking at a course at the London School of Economics (Econometrics and Mathematical Economics), and the course stats say that in 2012 they received 187 applications (for only 7 spaces). My question is this: Of those 187 who applied, would they all be students expecting A-level results of at least A*AA (the entry requirements)?
I find this very discouraging as, whilst I am hoping for A-level results which meet or exceed the entry requirements, I don't see that I could stand much of a chance with an acceptance rate of roughly 3.74% if every applicant met the entry requirements?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what my chances are likely to be, and how I could maximise them?
Thank you
Reply 1
Applicants for an LSE course such as that would typically be looking to achieve 3 A*s (substantially above the entry requirements).

Advice: take as much maths as possible. Simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Idk if the guy above is trolling but it is nowhere near 3 A* predictions. The vast majority of people will apply with A*AA prediction except a minority that want to risk an autorejection as their predicted are lower than the cutoff point, but LSE itself has said that their application statistics are vastly skewed by a number of "unrealistic overseas applications" in their words, especially for the competitive courses such as Econometrics.
Original post by JRChapman
Hi all. I'm looking at a course at the London School of Economics (Econometrics and Mathematical Economics), and the course stats say that in 2012 they received 187 applications (for only 7 spaces). My question is this: Of those 187 who applied, would they all be students expecting A-level results of at least A*AA (the entry requirements)?
I find this very discouraging as, whilst I am hoping for A-level results which meet or exceed the entry requirements, I don't see that I could stand much of a chance with an acceptance rate of roughly 3.74% if every applicant met the entry requirements?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what my chances are likely to be, and how I could maximise them?
Thank you

Bear in mind that this is 7 spaces, not 7 offers. LSE are known to give out lots of offers to the top applicants, but only get a few entrants because lots their offer holders end up at Oxbridge. However, you should be on target for at least A*AA to get an offer.
Reply 4
Thanks for the help guys, it's really appreciated. I've booked a place on their next open day, in two weeks time; hopefully that should answer a lot of the questions I have!
Reply 5
I got an AAA offer for International relations (28 applications per space in 2012).
AS grades: AAC
Predicted: A*AA
Reply 6
Original post by CEKTOP
I got an AAA offer for International relations (28 applications per space in 2012).
AS grades: AAC
Predicted: A*AA

That's great! Isn't AAA below the entry requirements too?
What was it that got you an offer like that (personal statement, interview, ECs, etc)?

Thanks for your response.
Reply 7
That's great! Isn't AAA below the entry requirements too?
What was it that got you an offer like that (personal statement, interview, ECs, etc)?

Thanks for your response.

PS + 3 months paid work experience on a full-time non-internship position during which I was able to get to know loads of senior executives etc.
Reply 8
Also, does anyone know whether an EPQ would improve my chances at all? We were spoken to about them today, and it was suggested that it was primarily for people who would not otherwise get the grades to go to university at all.
Reply 9
Just thought I'd add my view, I applied this year for maths and economics being predicted A*AA (Maths Physics and History) My personal statement was lousy, only one draft, I didn't do EPQ or further maths yet I still got an offer. I don't have any significant work experience or have any fancy connections. In my opinion OP should have as good a chance as any of getting an offer. Good Luck OP
Reply 10
That's great; I'm genuinely happy for you! Just out of interest, did the terms of you offer include getting an A* in maths? I've heard that this may be the case...
Reply 11
No just an A* in any subject, which is lucky considering the star I'm predicted is in history.
Also, does anyone know whether an EPQ would improve my chances at all? We were spoken to about them today, and it was suggested that it was primarily for people who would not otherwise get the grades to go to university at all.

DON'T DO THE EPQ JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES. my school made a big deal about it and i thought it would be helpful, lo and behold i was wrong, none of my universities cared or based their offers around it, it really isn't as useful as they make it out to be, don't do it unless you're genuinely interested on doing some long time-consuming project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending