The Student Room Group

My tutor said she would bet a house on me?!!

...for the reason I could never achieve an A grade in A-level Psychology; I'm currently a C/D borderline Student.
Reply 1
Obviously an exaggeration to make you try harder
That's not very kind of her :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Ibrar
...for the reason I could never achieve an A grade in A-level Psychology; I'm currently a C/D borderline Student.

you should take her up on that bet!
Who knows you might get a free house :biggrin:
Original post by Ibrar

That's really disrespectful. Get your A and send him a postcard.
Reply 5
Inb4 Ibrar's feelings are hurt and he sues his tutor.
Use it as motivation. Those who doubt you, must make you stronger.
Reply 7
Take her up on it and win her house :smile:
On results day of my AS levels my teachers were all surprised what I achieved with one even saying 'How you did that I will never know.' I understand their surprise because I was never at school but I still found it rude.

Try for that A and enjoy proving her wrong!
Reply 9
Work extremely hard and get your A and then demand the house they bet.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
It's negative encouragement. Often when someone says you can't do something it hits home more than positive encouragement and makes you want to do that exact thing to prove that person wrong. Drill instructors in the Army do it by belittling soldiers to make them push themselves 100% to impress them and show that they aren't 'maggots' nor the worst platoon in the company. Likewise teachers say 'there is not a chance you'll pass' or 'you will fail' not simply because they believe it but rather to hit you with the fact that your performance is substandard and make you work hard to achieve those grades.
Reply 11
Original post by Swanbow
It's negative encouragement. Often when someone says you can't do something it hits home more than positive encouragement and makes you want to do that exact thing to prove that person wrong. Drill instructors in the Army do it by belittling soldiers to make them push themselves 100% to impress them and show that they aren't 'maggots' nor the worst platoon in the company. Likewise teachers say 'there is not a chance you'll pass' or 'you will fail' not simply because they believe it but rather to hit you with the fact that your performance is substandard and make you work hard to achieve those grades.

So, you think this is a good way to build a(ny) person's self-esteem?
Reply 12
Original post by kka25
So, you think this is a good way to build a(ny) person's self-esteem?

Not necessarily, I was just describing it not justifying its use. Obviously its effects aren't concrete and can have the opposite on some people especially those with existing self esteem issues. But likewise mollycoddling someone when they aren't trying hard enough and failing is a also a piss poor tactic.
Reply 13
Original post by Swanbow
Not necessarily, I was just describing it not justifying its use. Obviously its effects aren't concrete and can have the opposite on some people especially those with existing self esteem issues. But likewise mollycoddling someone when they aren't trying hard enough and failing is a also a piss poor tactic.

So, if the OP's tutor used negative encouragement, and the OP reacted negatively to this method of encouragement, would this be the fault of the tutor? (Same goes to mollycoddling).
She's probably trying to motivate you, but it's a pretty risky tactic. If someone had said it to me, I would have cried for a long time and probably stopped trying! But then again my self esteem was low enough in sixth form, without tutors joining the hate party.
Prove him wrong!
Reply 16
Original post by kka25
So, if the OP's tutor used negative encouragement, and the OP reacted negatively to this method of encouragement, would this be the fault of the tutor? (Same goes to mollycoddling).

Not entirely, the OP would also have to take part of the blame for reacting badly. At the end of the day the only person accountable for their actions are themselves.

Anyway we're forgetting we are talking about a person here. OP don't take it personally, use it as encouragement to work better and win that house, metaphorically speaking unless they have houses to spare and are being serious haha.
Original post by Ibrar

Original post by Monster Mnch
Use it as motivation. Those who doubt you, must make you stronger.

^^^ This. Imagine the look on her face when you prove her dead wrong.
If it really bothers you that much stop crying about it on tsr and go work harder.
Reply 19
I got a C *shrug* I'm now on a year study abroad *cough*travelling about on student finance, and am on my way to a 2:1, life is good.
Do your best, but there are many factors that go into your grade, not just your intelligence, circumstances can really mess with your grades. If you put the effort in and you still get a C, it's really not so bad unless you're determined to get somewhere that requires A's.

Quick Reply

Latest