The Student Room Group

Girlfriend constantly snide and nasty remarks

So me and my girlfriend have been living together for nearly a year now but over the last one or two months she has really started to make snide and nasty remarks towards me. Two of the most recent examples are she usually works one day a weekend, she was in work last Saturday so I thought rather than us both sharing the house work on a Sunday like we usually do I would clean the whole house on Saturday to give her a day off. When she came home from work and asked what I had done with my day I told her I had cleaned the whole house so she could have a nice relaxing day off. Her response was "you always have to do something like that in the hope I will say thank you, you just can't do anything to just be nice." The whole reason I did what I did was to be nice. So I then said to her "so do you not think I'm a nice person then?" to which she didn't reply.

And secondly, I work from home 3/4 days a week. When I was working from home yesterday was also her day off work and she said me working from home ruins her day off as she can hear me on the phone. I have an office upstairs that I go into at 8am and I work until 5pm with the only time I leave is to get a drink or go to the toilet. And technically this is my house as I lived alone in it for 3 months before asking my girlfriend to move in with me.

What should I do? We are trying for a baby currently but the last few weeks are making me think about putting that on hold until she sorts her attitude out.
Well she can move straight back out again.

Beyond that, there is likely some other underlying reasons why your partner appears to despise you.
Reply 2
Like @StriderHort said, this sounds like something you REALLY need to speak with your girlfriend about as it sounds like there is something brewing between you two that you are not currently aware of, especially if you are trying for a kid as well.
I would also encourage you to have a serious “are we good? Is something up here?” conversation.

It’s normal to have the odd clash, (tiredness, bad day at work, conflicting priorities, that time of the month), but if they’re becoming more frequent then the realities of living with someone may be setting in for her.
You need to speak to her about this if you haven't already but she sounds like a right piece of work tbh. If my girlfriend ever said that kind of crap to me in my house and continued to do it after I spoke to her about it, she'd come home one day from work and find all of her stuff outside the front door and the locks changed : ))
Reply 5
Ask her what’s going on. A change in behaviour is a concern, hopefully it’s nothing to worry about, living together isn’t all domestic bliss and we all have our off moments. But best to get to the bottom of it before embarking on parenthood

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending