The Student Room Group

Neuroscience at university?

Hi people, I'll keep this brief.

I've wanted to take medicine at university for some time now. I have done w/e, volunteering etc which is ongoing.

However recently I've become worried about whether I'm 100% dedicated as you should be and have become very interested in Neuroscience.

I've looked at some courses and like these ones so far:
- Neuroscience at Bristol, King's and UCL
- Psychology, Clinical & Cognitive Neuroscience at RHUL
- Neuroscience with Cognitive Science at Sussex

I'm also intigued by the Flexible Combined Honours programme at Exeter - perhaps Biological Sciences and Pyschology?

I'll obviously investigate more into these. So, does anyone know anything about these courses? Which is particularly good? I am still considering the medicine degree and have some open days booked. How should I choose?

Thanks for any replies and for reading! And sorry if in the wrong forum!
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Hi people, I'll keep this brief.

I've wanted to take medicine at university for some time now. I have done w/e, volunteering etc which is ongoing.

However recently I've become worried about whether I'm 100% dedicated as you should be and have become very interested in Neuroscience.

I'm also intigued by the Flexible Combined Honours programme at Exeter - perhaps Biological Sciences and Pyschology?

I'll obviously investigate more into these. So, does anyone know anything about these courses? Which is particularly good? I am still considering the medicine degree and have some open days booked. How should I choose?

Thanks for any replies and for reading! And sorry if in the wrong forum!

Ever considered psychology, then getting a masters and phd and branching to neuroscience? If it is based on interest rather than anything else, it might be a good idea
It's good you're considering this now rather than halfway through a medical degree!

Surely open days would be a good way to explore this - I have friends doing psychology and neuroscience (not together) and only some parts of psychology overlap, it depends the area you're interested in.

I've just been accepted onto Medicine at Leeds and the curriculum looks hugely different from either of those, but I must emphasise that only a subsection of psychology is neuro-based

I had a quick look at the Exeter course and the Biology and Psychology paths and, apart from the first year, there did not appear to be too much that was relevant to neuroscience, particularly in the Biology pathway. This may still be okay for you if the rest looks enjoyable and you can get onto a Master's in neuroscience.

I would look at biomedical degrees, as universities without a specific neuroscience course would offer neuroscience modules under these degrees. I know that at Sheffield at least, they offer at least one neuroscience module per year.
We can choose neuroscience modules at Glasgow (as Molecular Bio student) but they also have a dedicated neuroscience course
Original post by DSCF0911.JPG
Ever considered psychology, then getting a masters and phd and branching to neuroscience? If it is based on interest rather than anything else, it might be a good idea

The thing is, although I was considering it, I didn't pick Psychology for AS. (I do Biology, Chemistry, Politics and Economics.) I like the neuroscience as it's more the 'biology of the mind' - as one of the prospectuses said. But I will look into it, thanks :smile:

Original post by thatonethere
It's good you're considering this now rather than halfway through a medical degree!

Surely open days would be a good way to explore this - I have friends doing psychology and neuroscience (not together) and only some parts of psychology overlap, it depends the area you're interested in.

I've just been accepted onto Medicine at Leeds and the curriculum looks hugely different from either of those, but I must emphasise that only a subsection of psychology is neuro-based

Thanks, I'll try to get to some open days. I prefer the neuroscience courses to psychology, so I'd probably just do a staight Neuro degree, but I'll investigate further.

Well done for getting into Leeds! I hope you enjoy it :smile:

Original post by Tpx
I had a quick look at the Exeter course and the Biology and Psychology paths and, apart from the first year, there did not appear to be too much that was relevant to neuroscience, particularly in the Biology pathway. This may still be okay for you if the rest looks enjoyable and you can get onto a Master's in neuroscience.

I would look at biomedical degrees, as universities without a specific neuroscience course would offer neuroscience modules under these degrees. I know that at Sheffield at least, they offer at least one neuroscience module per year.

The Exeter course does look really good, I'll probably email the admissions tutors for more info. It seems to be very competitive though.
I'll look at some biomedical courses, thanks, that's a good idea.

Thanks for your help everyone, some interesting things to think about :cool:
The thing is, although I was considering it, I didn't pick Psychology for AS. (I do Biology, Chemistry, Politics and Economics.) I like the neuroscience as it's more the 'biology of the mind' - as one of the prospectuses said. But I will look into it, thanks :smile:

The reason why I say this is because neuroscience is a pretty shallow field at the moment, and will be for a good while, and a masters and phd in psychology gives you depth in something closely related to and more established (or at least that's what I notice from two friends (one who has finished a phd and one who is doing a phd in it at the moment)).

Obviously I'm not talking about the 'behavioral' parts of the umbrella term 'psychology', but the stuff you get to later on which is actually in medical journals, etc. (eg the circadian rhythm vs *******s Freudian dream analysis :P)

It is a lot more work and a lot of **** to wade through before interesting stuff (pregrad) but I only mention it as it leans more towards the 'interest' side of things. If you see what I mean.

Having said that, I don't know how strong this interest is, and it *is* 3 years vs. 8 -- if you are ambitious -- to 10
I am also applying for psychology+ neuroscience. But I have no idea what I want to do :frown:
Reply 8
what career pathways can you take with a neuroscience degree,anything healthcare based?
Iv applied and got my offers for biomed, but iv changed my mind and recently iv become reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally interesed in neuroscience,I find myself just generaly reading up on it and watching loads of youtube vids on it.Would love to take it to the next step and study it at degree level...
Original post by DSCF0911.JPG
The reason why I say this is because neuroscience is a pretty shallow field at the moment, and will be for a good while, and a masters and phd in psychology gives you depth in something closely related to and more established (or at least that's what I notice from two friends (one who has finished a phd and one who is doing a phd in it at the moment)).

Obviously I'm not talking about the 'behavioral' parts of the umbrella term 'psychology', but the stuff you get to later on which is actually in medical journals, etc. (eg the circadian rhythm vs *******s Freudian dream analysis :P)

It is a lot more work and a lot of **** to wade through before interesting stuff (pregrad) but I only mention it as it leans more towards the 'interest' side of things. If you see what I mean.

Having said that, I don't know how strong this interest is, and it *is* 3 years vs. 8 -- if you are ambitious -- to 10

Really helpful, thank you so much :h: Some major research ahead I think!
Check out Aberdeen's programme too :smile:. It's pretty stellar.
Does anyone know what kind of career options you can get from this? I'm also really interested in Neuroscience but have no idea where it would take me, and I want to be involved in scientific research.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending